BF4 causes reboot

by thestalkingwolf

Original Post

BF4 causes reboot

★★★ Novice

Hello,

This has been a problem since the beta but has not seemed to be fixed. I can play for a random amount of time (sometimes hours sometimes minutes) when suddenly my machine will reboot on its own mid gameplay. This does seem quite random, but with no error message or indication of the error it is very difficult to diagnose. This machine is purely for gaming and outputs to a second machine for streaming. Because of this I have tons of videos of my sudden crashes, but as I said before I can be doing just about anything and this crash will randomly occur. 

To diagnose this issue I have tried running task manager on my second screen to monitor process, or networking, or resources, but nothing out of the ordinary seems to occur. I have 5 identical machines which all seem to experience the same error. This leads me to believe it is a hardware compatibility issue. These machines are strictly used for gaming so the software installed is very limited.

The gaming PC specs;

Spoiler

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 11/16/2013, 06:57:42
Machine name: BROADCAST1-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130318-1533)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Alienware
System Model: Aurora-R4
BIOS: BIOS Date: 10/26/12 12:23:22 Ver: 04.06.05
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz (12 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: 32768MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 32684MB RAM
Page File: 4952MB used, 60413MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 64bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: NVxx
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1188&SUBSYS_095B10DE&REV_A1
Display Memory: 4004 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1956 MB
Shared Memory: 2048 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: AVERMEDIA HD
Monitor Id: AVTA001
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
Output Type: HDMI
Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 9.18.0013.3165 (English)
Driver Version: 9.18.13.3165
DDI Version: 11
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 10/23/2013 05:30:23, 18199872 bytes

If needed I can post the full dxdiag. The entire building is GBit ethernet and we have a fiber line to the building. All machines are maintained and regularly updated by our systems admin so no drivers are out of date. The machines function perfectly under all other circumstances this is the only game which we are having issues. Below is a link to the shortest video recording I have handy on my personal channel of the above mentioned bug. I stop the recording when the pc reboots.

http://www.twitch.tv/thestalkingwolf/b/480209111

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Chris

Message 1 of 15 (1,246 Views)

Re: BF4 causes reboot

★★★ Newbie

Hey my computer reboots in bf4

my i5 2550k (non oc) CPU ran at 98-100%, and rebooted, until i died.

bought an new mb msi z87 g45 + i7 4440k,  cpu runs at 46%, played for 4 min, the i took it from high sett to ultra, and my  850w psu from corsair died.

just bought a new psu corsair 950w, and it stills get my computer to crash!

spec :

msi z87 g45

i7 4440k,

2x 670 sli

8 gb vengeance ram 1600mhz

2 x 158gb ssd raid 0.

win 8

can se im not the only one with crash prb.   

can see anything overheated, and im im pretty sure it aint the new psu

all drivers are updated

help..    Dear   Jonathan 

Message 2 of 15 (1,134 Views)

★★★ Novice

Anyone with any solutions or possible diagnostic tools to suggest?

Message 3 of 15 (1,129 Views)

★★★ Novice

Been online with support all day and on my 5th person right now. Im posting to update the steps they had me try and the result.

First before anything I tried both reinstalling the game and windows to no effect. Then today I contacted support.

First support rep had me fix the BF4 installation, clear %temp% and my cookies.

Second support had me disable origin in game.

Third support connected me with the expert team and they had me do a clean boot, but since this machine is just used for gaming it would mean that google, nvidia, intel, creative audio, or the alienware/dell software was interfering with BF4. This did not fix the problem obviously, though I noticed a maginal increase in performance when I ran without the Dell backup software running so it is disabled now.

Fourth support had me run BF4 in compatibility mode to no effect.

Onwards to #5...

Message 4 of 15 (1,112 Views)

★★★ Novice

Well #5 told me to create a new admin account and try running it from there but no such luck in a fix.

#6 was a winner... I guess it would be my luck I cannot get 6 good support reps in a row... This one I saved the chat with so if I ever get a chance to talk to a EA/Dice support manager I can forward them the log and they can look at the quality of their staff...

Message 5 of 15 (1,106 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hey man maybe Im a bit too tired to see but what PSU are you running? Can you post the event log from event viewer too!

Message 6 of 15 (1,103 Views)

★★★ Novice

and #7 isnt even taking the time to read the case... epic.

Message 7 of 15 (1,101 Views)

★★★ Novice

I had the same crash issue with my PC. I just discovered my NVIDIA card was not ramping up the fan speed on the GPU block. This was causing my system to crash.

I have an Asus GTX660-TI video card. Asus has a tweak program that allows you to monitor and overclock the card. The fan was on auto but never seemed to go higher than 10%. I figured I would put it at 100% speed and that cured my problem. I have been able to play straight for several hours now without issue. I also noticed using the video card monitor, that my card is running at 100% during game play!

At 100% fan speed my Video GPU temp holds at 51C. Give it a try. Holding my video GPU temp down cured my crash problems.

Message 8 of 15 (1,042 Views)

★★★ Novice

gremlingotagun,

Thanks for the suggestion. I figured since the only game that is having problems is BF4 it wasnt likely the case. MSI Afterburner stats confirms that the fan speed is responding correctly and right before the crash my card is operating at 41 degrees. A little warm but certainly nothing to be concerned about. 

Unfortunately this is still a problem and I have been waiting for weeks now for DICE expert team to contact me with no avail. I have a feeling the 3 people that claimed they would escalate my ticket did not. The caliber of support here is epic. I will likely sit on the phone all day dealing with more of these people that would rather go back over the same 10 steps as the last person then read the notes on the file...

Message 9 of 15 (1,030 Views)

★★★ Novice

Haha well now I know why those fools in support closed my ticket as solved... I swear every single agent I talked to did that on purpose and probably because their job security relies on closing cases... great system.

Message 10 of 15 (1,029 Views)