BF4 PC Memory leaking? 94% Memory usage with 12GB

by wooties

Original Post

Re: BF4 PC Memory leaking? 94% Memory usage with 12GB

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Battlefield will get memory leak issue to the exttent that 90% or more ram is used.  Either the game will crash on its own or sometimes it just gets so bad for a few minutes that I just kill the game on my own.  Either way, both methods of the game terminating result in memory staying used and there is no evidence of any process/application using the memory.  I log off and  back on and the memory is still used up, so reboot was necessary.

Prior to the last client update, I was able to reboot the PC and clear the issue...and log back in to repeat the problem again in 15 to 30 minutes time.  However, as of this last update now when the game crashes rebooting does not restore the memory back normal utilization.  I have to tweak the pagefile settings on/off or inrease/decrease...anything seems to work - then reboot the computer to release the memory.  This is very odd!!!!   Computer tests clean with multiple AV/Malware tools. 

I also have the typical audio issues (sound cuting in/out at times on some maps), but other than the memory leak I have seen great improvement in playability since the last update.  I just wish the crashing would go away. 

Dell XPS

8 GB RAM

Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit

AMD Radeon HD 6700

Catalyst 13.11 Beta9 (same issue with Beta7 and 8, also pre 13.11 drivers)

Samsung SSD 840 Hard Drive

Pagefile on non SSD drive

Message 461 of 807 (1,272 Views)

★★ Apprentice

machofreek, sounds like you're suffering from something other than the memory leak (or more than just the memory leak).  There is no way BF4 can use up your memory on a fresh reboot when it hasn't even been loaded yet.

You're doing a full reboot, what is your Non-paged pool at before loading anything?

Just to recap, I've been going strong for 4 days now I think, no crashes at all (besides servers crashing, great $100 investment EA, god forbid you give us some money back on your bloated server prices when you exclude us from quick join just to be able to move people to squads and use team balance mods)

I did the registry edit mentioned here, that didn't help, then I did the Windows 7 compatibility mode and disabled the display scaling in the compatitiblity tab for BF4.exe and haven't had the leak since.

Windows 8.1 Pro with WMC

XFX Radeon 6970 with 13.11 Beta 9.2 drivers

8GB DDR3 1866

Intel i7-2700k @4.7GHz

Asus P8z77-V LE

Corsair Force GS SSD

Page File is disabled

Message 462 of 807 (1,245 Views)

★★★★ Novice
Enable virtualization in bios. End of story! Can't run a 64bit os and have 32bit processes running without it. How do you think that can happen without virtualization "magic". Causes memory bleed. Sorry about my tone but someone else told me I had no idea what I was talking about. So I will laugh at him while I am playing bf4. And he is crashing to the desktop.
Message 463 of 807 (1,237 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

@porkysatan

You have no idea what you are talking about. You absolutely do not need virtualization to run 32-bit processes on a 64-bit os. an x86_64 processor can natively run 32-bit code, and all the 32-bit compatibility stuff in windows is handled by a windows subsystem called WOW64, there is no virtualization involved.

And this doesn't have anything to do with the memory leak anyway.

Message 464 of 807 (1,222 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

@porkysatan

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Virtualization options in the BIOS enable the CPU's hardware virtualization flags for Intel VT. 

http://ark.intel.com/products/virtualizationtechnology

This is hardware emulation for virtualization applications such as VMWare and XEN. Get a clue.

Message 465 of 807 (1,128 Views)

★★ Apprentice

@bwat47 - I believe I have found a temporary solution. Checking "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" combined with Win 8 compatibility mode.

Don't ask me why that should prevent the memory leak but haven't had one in about the last 18hrs of play. Logged a total of around 110hrs ingame as of tonight.

I'm not saying it's a fix but it's certianly held it at bay more. Still up around 12th for Sniper kills in Aussie, now to get back up to 5th...

Message 466 of 807 (1,089 Views)

★★★ Newbie

It worked all fine for me... till yesterday, i dont know why, but i didnt change anything on my system and now iam getting a Windows popup after 15-20min playing BF4... telling me, Windows wants to shutdown BF4 to get memory back... but on task manager total memory is at 4GB, wth?

My Setup is...

Windows 8.1

GTX 770M (yeah its a Laptop... Schenker P503)

i7 4200 4 cores

16GB(ohh yeah... alot, should be enough i thought for the most stuff)

Fixing Problemes and making new ones is really awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its really annoying to get moved to the desktop while you play BF4 and cant avoid it!!!!

Message 467 of 807 (1,076 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

bf4.exe

- Compatibility Win 8 ( I have Win 8.1 x64 PRO )

- Run as Administrator

Fix the memory leak for me.

Message 468 of 807 (1,028 Views)

★ Apprentice

@Cucobr wrote:

bf4.exe

- Compatibility Win 8 ( I have Win 8.1 x64 PRO )

- Run as Administrator

Fix the memory leak for me.

^This is the fix.

A big 'thank you' to EA and Dice for never helping at all, and leaving it up to the community to find out how to fix it themselves.

I always enjoy playing the 'fixing the game' game.

Message 469 of 807 (934 Views)

★★ Novice

I also have this issue

Windows 8.1 Professional x64

Intel i5 4670k

AMD Radeon HD6950

8GB RAM

Installed on 120GB SSD with 54GB free.

Message 470 of 807 (927 Views)