Re: BF4 PC Memory leaking? 94% Memory usage with 12GB

by Armidian

Original Post

★★★★★ Novice
I don't have windows 8 but yet I have this same problem. Z68 board, i7 2600k and gtx 780
Message 41 of 807 (7,033 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I've investigated this issue quite a bit, and it's a bug in how Battlefield 4 interacts with the drivers for the graphics card. The memory usage you see comes from the non paged memory pool. Usually this goes up to about 80/90% when the problem occurs. It can be viewed by opening the task manager and then the tab Performance -> Memory on the left. Normally the 'Non Paged Pool' label says something between 0-200MB at maximum but when this problem occurs, it's 6GB for me. (out of 8GB total system ram).

The error in my case traces back to the driver atikmdag.sys which uses "MINI" as pool tag, but it is entirely possible this issue happens on NVidia cards aswell. Please note that this is still most likely a Battlefield 4 bug, and not a driver bug. There is absolutely nothing we as end users can do about it, so please EA/DICE; fix this.

Message 42 of 807 (7,032 Views)

★★ Novice

Having the same issue

Win 8.1 64bit fresh installed yesterday. Came from win 7 and there is no configuration difference except i added a SSD. This problem was not occuring in win7 but is occuring now.

Radeon 6850

4Gb ram

AMD Phenom quad Core

Message 43 of 807 (6,940 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Yep! Same here, unfortunately. Already posted on Guru3D as well. The problem is irregular, sometimes 20 minutes, other times after 45 minutes of gameplay. After closing BF4 all of my 16 GB of RAM is still taken hostage, until after reboot. This is a serious problem, because BF4 is virtually unplayable like this. 

My setup:

Asus HD6950 (reference card)

Win 8.1 Pro (x64)

x64 version of BF4

13.11 BETA v7 & v8 (both same problem)

16GB DDR3 @ 1600 (4x4)

Well, just had to leave another good match because of this, so I'm going to reboot... again!

update:

-tried the suggested NDU registry fix (Start value set to 4). No dice.. (no pun intended)

-tried disabling the virtual memory (paging file) in Windows. No dice, this made it worse because now the whole system hung. Errors everywhere!

Message 44 of 807 (6,898 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Exact same problem.

The leak itself is somewhere in the AMD drivers, using poolmon to check on all pool memory will result in a tag that uses all the memory (in this case "MINI"), when I completely deleted AMD drivers e.g driversweep, this tag was comepletely gone. BF4 could still be the issue causing the leak to happen though, also seems that it usually happens during map switch.

I could play for an hour or two just now, by trying a different method this is what I did:

Start Battlefield and play some Team Deathmatch (fast map switch)

wait untill the leak starts happening (just by keeping an eye on task manager and checking non-paged pool. usually leak is noticable when this goes above 200MB)

close BF4

start a game of your liking.

Can't be 100% sure if this works as I didn't have time to test it out further / longer but I will tomorrow.

also sys specs:

i7 860

XFX AMD Radeon HD6950

8GB high speed RAM

Message 45 of 807 (6,880 Views)

★★★ Novice

I have the same problem here.. 15 ~ 20 min and crash (Windows out of memory), and close app. Only solved rebooting the system!

My system:

Windows 8.1 Pro x64

Intel i5 3570k

AMD HD 6950 2Gb (Driver 13.11 Beta v8 - LATEST)

16 Gb memory Geil 2133 Mhz

* Disabled SWAP file in Windows.

** Game, DirectX, System and PB updated.

Waiting for a solution EA!

Message 46 of 807 (6,850 Views)

★★★ Novice

Another person here with a very similiar setup... Except I had this problem in BF3 as well but only after upgrading to Win 8. I'm running Win 8.0, latest AMD drivers, HD 6950 flashed to a 6970, 8 GB of RAM, AMD Phenom II x6.

No issues in the beta but I'm guessing that is because the beta was a single map.

After having the issue and haulting BF3 play, I'm seriously considering buying an Nvidia card tomorrow. My jaw dropped when I bought BF4 today and saw the same issue. The answer to the BF3 problem I had was "Win 8 isn't supported"....

Message 47 of 807 (6,810 Views)

★★★ Novice

Damn brkbeatjunkie... I was going to go to a local store and buy a 780 tomorrow since they just dropped in price.... Maybe I'll hold off on that.

At least single player is cool.... NOT

Message 48 of 807 (6,799 Views)

★ Novice

SUP!!? I fixed this same issue... setup:

XFX HD6870

Win 8.1 Pro (x64)

x64 version of BF4

Latest Radeon drivers **BETA

2x 4GB DDR3 @ 1600

97% of Memory usage with 8GB

The point it is that Windows was saving "virtual memory"

Like this example: http://prntscr.com/214mse

So I disabled the "virtual memory" > Right click at My Computer > Properties > Advance system settings > Advance > At "Performance" go on SETTINGS > Advance (again) > Change > uncheck "Automatically manage paging file size for all drivers" > And set "No paging files" option!! Then OK to all windows opened!

Like This: http://prntscr.com/214nua

HOPE HELPED YOU GUYS!!! SEE YOU IN BATTLEFIELD!!!

Message 49 of 807 (6,793 Views)

★★★ Novice

^ That didn't do it for me either Frown (tried the broadcom registry fix as well)

http://imageshack.us/a/img600/9634/jns3.jpg

Message 50 of 807 (6,750 Views)