BF4 Display driver stopped working and has recovered

by bradwordenbr

Original Post

BF4 Display driver stopped working and has recovered

★★ Novice

HELP

BF4 freezes after a few minutes of gameplay and I get an error saying 'Display drivers have stopped responding and have recovered.'
12 GB Kingston HyperX RAM

NVidea GForce GTX 460 V2 - driver 344.48
Intel i7 920

Message 1 of 11 (508 Views)

Re: BF4 Display driver stopped working and has recovered

★★★ Apprentice

There are a few things you can try to fix this error.

If your GPU is overclocked, as in you did it yourself, please reduce it back down to standard clocks.

Uninstall your graphics card drivers and reinstall them.

Please let me know if this fixes your problem and if not I will investigate more in depth for you.

Many thanks

Message 2 of 11 (506 Views)

★★ Novice

Did it as you instructed. I don't use overclock and uninstalled my graphics driver. Later, I did install the driver 344.48 but I had the same result (driver stopped working).

Message 3 of 11 (502 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Ok, it could be a DirectX issue.

Can you go into the Origin Game folder and into the BF4 folder in this kind of location:

C:\Program Files\Origin Games\Battlefield 4\__Installer\directx\redist

Then run DXSETUP.

Reboot your PC and then try to run the game again.

If you still have the same problem, then I will have to start looking at your diagnostic reports and error logs.

Thanks.

Message 4 of 11 (497 Views)

★★ Novice

Didn't work again.

I did use geforce experience software to auto adjust display settings anda MSI afterburner to lower my memory clock settings. It seems to have worked. Two hours playing without any issue.

Message 5 of 11 (491 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

It could have been that the card was factory overclocked or even a driver issue.

There are alot of times where any form of overclock with cause any game to become unstable.

Glad you got it working.

If you think that this case is solved would you be able to close it for me.

Many thanks and happy gaming.

Message 6 of 11 (487 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Well, sorry for me Im still experiencing problems.

What else could we do now?

Odd that the driver message is not showing now. Its crashing and battlelog shows transitioning.

Message 7 of 11 (476 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

This could be an issue with the actual game files, even I have had the game crash on me a few times when the server changes to the next map, it was been reported a number of times.

These are some more potentiol solutions to your issue:

In Origin go to: Application settings - Origin in Game - Disable Origin in game.

This just means that the Origin overlay will not be running while you play BF4, this has caused a few issues with serveral games in the past.

The next thing would be to check the integrity of your Bf4 game files so please do the following:

Right click on the BF4 image in Origin and click on repair game; this will then check all the files to make sure there is no errors and will re-download / repair any that are corrupt or missing.

If niether of these solutions help then could you please do the following:

In Origin click Origin top left and then click Advanced settings; Please click on the box next to Enable Origin in game logging.

This will then enable to to guide you though a few steps so I can look at any crash / error reports and I will do the same for any Windows crash log reports too.

I will get this game working for you one way or another.

Many thanks

Message 8 of 11 (470 Views)

@bradwordenbr wrote:

Well, sorry for me Im still experiencing problems.

What else could we do now?

Odd that the driver message is not showing now. Its crashing and battlelog shows transitioning.

You stated earlier that you were using MSI Afterburner.  There has been an issue where afterburner causes trouble with Battlefield, can you disable it and see if you can play without issue?

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Please mark a thread as solved if a post solves your issue.

EA Answers HQ Volunteer Forum Moderator

BF3, BF4, BF1, BFV DICE Friend tag awardee

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Twitter: Ragnarok013
Message 9 of 11 (463 Views)

★★ Novice

Hi.

The first two tips had no effect. Overlay is off and the game files are repaired.

I did enable game logging.

P.S. Usually I can play with all video settings low (don't know if this is an issue or my board doens't support a higher level), but even with these settings the game crashes at least once every time I play (sometimes more). It's really annoying.

Message 10 of 11 (444 Views)