A POSSIBLE fix for freezes and crashes in BF4 on PC

by NevilX

Original Post

Highlighted

A POSSIBLE fix for freezes and crashes in BF4 on PC

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

First, some general information (tl;dr version at the end).

My specs:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 760 @ 2.80GHz (4 CPUs)
Motherboard: Asus P7P55D-E
Memory:  DDR3 2x2GB 1333MHz PDP Patriot Viper LLK CL7 (4 GB total)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
Sound Card: SB Audigy 4 AND integrated with mainboard VIA VTI828S

I play in 1280x1024 resolution. I use Audigy 4 for audio output (speakers) and integrated VIA thing for input (microphone).

I got freezes in both MP and SP.

In SP game started OK, but performance was degrading during play session.

In MP sporadic stutters no matter what settings I picked (even the lowest, when beta ran fine on medium for me). Once got texture errors like those recorded by some people during BF3 beta, when ground was made of sqares with fickering textures. And, from time to time, game crashed with looping sound. -ound. -ound. -ound. -ound. -ound. -ound. -ound. (until I killed the process) After one of those crashes, I saw this in my task manager:
http://i44.tinypic.com/rgxy75.png

Well, BF4 has 50% of CPU and it is normal, but why other half is used by part of drivers for sound card that I use only for getting microphone input? The VIA HD Audio CPL is probably a process for VIA Audio Deck (something that shows in system tray and allows you to change various audio setttings). So I disabled it, and started BF4 in multiplayer (everything was on low since last time I played the game). And guess what. NO freezes, NO crashes, everything worked DAMN SMOOTH, like it should be on low. I still have higher settings and SP to check, but it looks like...

(tl;dr) ...BF4 does not work well with VIA Audio Deck process. Maybe even with other processes which have similiar capabilities.

P.S.: One thing to note. Last time I checked, Asus didn't have drivers for older motherboards like mine, that were marked as Win8/Win8.1 compatible. So I installed Win7 64bit versions in compatibility mode. Today I found drivers for Win8 on VIA site, will check if they work normally with BF4.

Message 1 of 6 (2,405 Views)

Re: A POSSIBLE fix for freezes and crashes in BF4 on PC

★★★★ Novice

OK, false alarm... I think. VIA Control Panel can hang from time to time taking up lots of my CPU power, but that's rather unrelated. The funny thing is, I only noticed it because of BF4 crashes. So performance is a bit up, but only playable on low... I think HBAO could be the cause of freezes - I'm not sure. Crashes are still there. Does not matter on what settings, though I think they only happen on big maps (48~64 players involved).

Message 2 of 6 (2,203 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I kept getting this error message at game launch:

Your computer does not meet the minimum requirements for playing this game.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti” GPU does not support DirectX 10.0 which is required.

my Rig:
GPU: GeForce GTX 550 Ti
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz
Memory: 8GB
Driver: 331.65 (NVidia)
resolution: 1600 x 900, 60Hz

I’m told that my specs is good to go for BF4… yet… i face this problem.

Message 3 of 6 (1,255 Views)

★★★ Newbie

yes i agree with ur last statement. i have no problem running BF4 in TDM with small map. but i have been having crashes is large conquest. what i am annoyed by is that i have been playing BF4 large conquest without any problem for past few month. this recent problem really pain in a butt. because i am currently trying to get a new sniper unlock but  i need 50 250m head shot kills. which is impossible in small map such as TDM.

Message 4 of 6 (666 Views)

★★★ Novice

I've got the same problem, and I think that DICE should release a new patch pretty soon, because a lot of people are facing this problem..

Message 5 of 6 (642 Views)

★★★ Newbie

habe auch das problem komme nicht voran.  seid dem 13 feb wo das update kam.

habe GTX 650

2x2 GB ram

3 x 3.30 ghz

500 GB festplatte

win 7 64BIT

Message 6 of 6 (615 Views)