why are origin update/downloads soooooo slow? 12 hr, s for an update, come now.

by 0279

Original Post

why are origin update/downloads soooooo slow? 12 hr, s for an update, come now.

★★★ Newbie

Message 1 of 17 (53,083 Views)

Re: why are origin update/downloads soooooo slow? 12 hr, s for an update, come now.

Community Manager (retired)

Hey!

That could be related to various issues.

At first, download and install the latest version of Origin at www.origin.com/download (and make sure you have your Origin account ready as well)
If that doesn’t helped, close the origin client and go directly to you origin folder  C:\Program Files\Origin Games. Run the origin.exe in this folder with a rightclick -> run as administrator. 

This worked out in the most cases, if not, try to deactivate your firewall/antivirus software and/or check the online ports of your connection:

TCP: 80, 443, 9988, 20000-20100, 22990, 17502, 42127
UDP
: 3659, 14000-14016, 22990-23006, 25200-25300
For specific instructions on how to open your ports, please visit http://www.portforward.com/ or contact your router manufacturer.

Please let us now, if this problem after this workaround still exist.

Cheers

Basti

Message 2 of 17 (52,983 Views)

Re: why are origin update/downloads soooooo slow? 12 hr, s for an update, come now.

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I always experience slow EA Downloads.  I have an ADSL connection which is 1.6MB and a Satellite connection which is 20MB.  One is on a default gateway of 192.168.1.254 and the other 192.168.1.253. I simply select which I need.  Satellite for large downloads but high latency(Cannot game on this) and the ADSL for low latency which I game on. 

I use the Satellite to download from steam and other sites at almost 2.2MB per second. My ADSL hits around 130kbps.

Ive just installed Crysis 3(I order this disks to save my download bandwidth) but just found I need to Patch 1.3Gig already.  Using my Satellite, Origin will only download at a rate of 50kbps!!! but switching back to my ADSL it downloads at 130mbps.  Just also patched a game on steam this morning via satellite and got 2.2MB!!!

What ever system Origin uses to download doesnt work properly, someting is going wrong but they wont investigate as they blame it on our connections or the 3rd Party.

Its simple for me because of this I use Steam for as much as I can and only use Origin out of desperation, dont get me wrong, it works well most of the time, but updates and downloads for me are next to useless.  Because of Poor customer service(3 weeks to reply to emails) and lack of investigating these issues and simply writing it off as the users fault, they have probably lost around £200 of business from me to date from me as I use steam. And will continue.  We as a user from a customer service point of view are really treated badly.

Lee

Message 3 of 17 (52,974 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Lee,

I am in the EXACT same situation as you. Two connections, one is mega slow and the other is super fast satellite, and when I try to download a game or an update from Origin on Satellite internet I get anywhere from 50kb/s-80kb/s when I should be getting 2mb/s+!

I phoned EA to ask why, they said there is nothing they can do, contact the provider. So I contacted AvonLine and they said there is no reason for it not to work, and it will be because of EA themselves, which it has to be. I have already tried running as admin, turning off firewalls, allowing ports, chaning the internet IP thing and no change has been made at all!

This is disgusting by EA and once again they are treating their customers like dirt. EA, can you PLEASE look into this slow download speeds for your Satellite internet users?

Thank you.

Message 4 of 17 (52,959 Views)

Message 5 of 17 (52,957 Views)

★★ Novice
Hi,

Saw your reply to my thread so i thought i would reply to both. I have contacted my isp also and they confirm its ea or their caching servers. Im a senior network engineer myself and tried everything, but because ea wont help and we dont know how their systems work were stuck. Hell, ive even used wireshark and looked at thr session negotiations etc to try and find a clue to this. Without ea engaging with us instead of just palming us off, we have no chance to solve these issues.

Lee
Message 6 of 17 (52,930 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I had exactley the same issue until this moring and here is the resolve:

Exit Origin

Open Internet Explorer settings

Click Connections tab

Click LAN Settings

Ensure all boxes are unticked - especially the proxy server one.

OK out of all windows

Relaunch Origin

Problem resolved!

Now I know you are going to say but there isnt a proxy set up etc etc - I would have bet money I didnt have one setup either, I had just rebuilt my PC and was just in the process of re-downloading my games! However I checked the LAN settings and there was one in there - Im guessing either: Steam, uPlay or Origin added it during the install.

Message 7 of 17 (49,061 Views)

★★ Novice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ojb1w-ewGM&feature=youtu.be

Watch this video and do everything the man says.. It worked for me Wink

Message 8 of 17 (48,978 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This worked perfectly for me.  Great call.  Thanks!

Message 9 of 17 (47,631 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This worked. Thanks!

Message 10 of 17 (47,126 Views)