Re: Xbox 360 wired controller not working in game for PC

by wertyuiop408

Original Post

Xbox 360 wired controller not working in game for PC

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Was told to try here by EA support,

I have the Microsoft xbox 360 controller (wired) and this used to work in bf3, and now it does not. 
The controller works fine in other games 
There is a green light on it while playing bf3 (so i know it's on/receiving power) 
It is plugged in before the game is launched 
The latest drivers are installed 
The game is upto date 

I cannot bind or set any keymapping for the controller while in game, it's as though the game does not support the controller at all anymore.

Message 1 of 7 (12,720 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Hi wertyuiop408!

Please uninstall and reinstall your drivers for controller and any other controller software. Previously installed controller software, like xpadder, can cause problems and you need to deinstall all driver and software, before a clean reinstall. Be sure that you pluged the controller before starting Battlefield3.

For uninstall the controller driver in Windows7:

1. Click on your windows start button.
2. Type devmgmt.msc in the search box and then press enter.
3. Select the Xbox controller device with rightclick.
4. Select properties.
5. In the properties window, under the driver tab, click the uninstall button.
6. After the uninstalling the drivers restart the computer. This should automatically install proper drivers for it.

Here you can found a manual for connecting your Xbox 360 Controller for Windows to your computer :http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906347

Cheers

Basti 

Message 2 of 7 (12,672 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I also use a xbox controller for BF3, but it is wireless. Before I start the game or even log into orgin i turn on the controller press the center button and wait for the 360 batteries life indicator to be shown. Then I lunch BF3 after that works great for me, hopefully this helps.

Message 3 of 7 (12,666 Views)
Highlighted

★ Novice

Thank you for the responce, but this has also failed to get the controller working in BF3.

Message 4 of 7 (12,654 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Hello wertyuiop408,

This wired XBox Controller you have, is it your standard wired controller that comes with the Xbox 360??  If so, this may be the reasoning behind your issues, standard XBox 360 remotes may or may not work.  Also, if you have any other peripherals such as a keyboard, mouse or anything like this it may and can cause issues.

Regards,

-ROBTHERHINO512

Message 5 of 7 (12,647 Views)

★ Novice

The controller is not the one that comes with the 360, this was one i bought that is meant for the PC. 

I do have other peripherals installed, I have tried the game without those plugged in (those drivers removed as well) when lauching the game and had no luck.

I have a razer mouse and this has caused a confliction with the controller in one game before (but that game didn't have full support for the controller), here the mouse is conflicting with it,

Thank you for your reply.

Message 6 of 7 (12,640 Views)

★★★ Newbie
This is what pisses me off about EA. You give some really bad advice, and when it doesn't fix the problem and you totally leave the guy hanging. Probably the most unprofessional tech support I have ever seen.
Message 7 of 7 (6,811 Views)