Betreff: Punkbuster issues

by miker2808

Original Post

Punkbuster issues

★★ Apprentice

Hello, I am having a problem with BF3, when I had Windows 8.1 everything was fine, even when I updated to Windows 10 at first it was ok, no issues at all.
Unfortunately about one week ago when I wanted to play BF3 I had issues with PnkBstrB.exe. This file dissapeared from services.msc everytime I wanted to start the game.
I was looking for help in Google for this time, tried: registry, reinstalling the game, deletng and installing punkbuster milions of times.
Now PnkBstrB isn't dissapearing, but still I am kicked after playing the game for about 1-2 minutes. Weirdly sometimes I could play 1 match but when I wanted to join another server it happens again.

Here is my pbsvc test:

Starting PunkBuster Service Tests (v0.991) (11/06/15 20:42:06)
Checking OS
Windows NT 6.2 (build 9200) 64-bit
Checking PnkBstrA service status RUNNING
Checking PnkBstrA Version OK (1034)
Extracting "PnkBstrB.exe" to:
"C:\Users\*****\AppData\Roaming\PnkBstrB.exe" OK
Checking firewall settings OFF
Checking if PnkBstrB is running RUNNING
Manually stopping PnkBstrB STOPPED
Getting port for PnkBstrA OK (44301)
Opening socket for packet send OK
Sending version packet to PnkBstrA SENT
Receiving version from PnkBstrA OK
Received 6 bytes from 127.0.0.1:44301
Response = 8250 (ms) Version = v1034
Getting PnkBstrB install instance NOT FOUND
Sending start packet to PnkBstrA SENT
Waiting for packet from PnkBstrA OK
Received 3 bytes from 127.0.0.1:44301
Response = 15360 (ms) PnkBstrB started.
Load SUCCESSFUL.
Watching for PnkBstrB instance change (0) TIMEOUT
Getting port for PnkBstrB FAILED
Sending version packet to PnkBstrB SENT
Receiving version from PnkBstrB TIMEOUT
Checking PnkBstrK driver status NOT FOUND
Manually stopping PnkBstrB STOPPED
Removing test PnkBstrB file PnkBstrA.log: PnkBstrA v1034 Service Started Successfully. This service is a component of the PunkBuster Anti-Cheat system. Visit http://www.evenbalance.com [evenbalance.com] for more information.
PnkBstrA v1034 Service Started Successfully. This service is a component of the PunkBuster Anti-Cheat system. Visithttp://www.evenbalance.com [evenbalance.com] for more information.

PnkBstrB.log: PnkBstrB v2.202 (WOLF) Service Started Successfully. This service is a component of the PunkBuster Anti-Cheat system. Visit http://www.evenbalance.com [evenbalance.com] for more information.
ERROR: CRITICAL ERROR: Cannot access registry
PnkBstrB v2.202 (WOLF) Service Started Successfully. This service is a component of the PunkBuster Anti-Cheat system. Visithttp://www.evenbalance.com [evenbalance.com] for more information.
ERROR: CRITICAL ERROR: Cannot access registry

Also my error says: 

Game disconnected: you were kicked by PunkBuster. Stated reason: PunkBuster kicked player 'Klimek5000' (for 0 minutes) ... RESTRICTION: Service Communication Failure: PnkBstrB.exe initialization failed

In advance thanks for any help Standard smile

Message 1 of 8 (640 Views)

Hero (Retired)

HI @kIimau!

Please check this guide first: http://help.ea.com/en/article/battlefield-4-punkbuster-troubleshooting/

It might be useful.

Then if that not solve your issue follow those steps:

• Open windows firewall
  • Click advanced settings( on the left) and then inbound (also left)
  • Find PnkbstrA.exe and PnkbstrB.exe (if you have two of both, its fine)
  • Right click on each of them>properties>programs and services
  • Make sure that "all programs that meet the specifications" is checked
  • Then go to the "Advanced" tab and check all 3 boxes. Domain, Private and Public.
  • REMEMBER TO DO THIS FOR ALL PnkBstr Files. Then save and quit.
  • Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 4 and delete "Pb" folder.
  • Go to these 2 links: http://websec.evenbalance.com/downloader/download.php?file=1    http://www.evenbalance.com/downloads/pbsvc/pbsvc.exe
  • Download and install both
  • Run Pbsetup.exe
  • Select the game from the bar.
  • Click on "Check for updates".

Let me know.

Kind Regards

Se il post di qualcuno ti è stato d'aiuto, lascia un punto XP ➕
Se il post di qualcuno ha risolto il problema, ricordati di segnarlo come soluzione affinchè altri possano trarne aiuto. ✔

Message 2 of 8 (607 Views)

★★ Apprentice

The test result is still identical Frown

Message 3 of 8 (597 Views)

★ Guide

Sorry if I misunderstood you, but you're saying that. PnkBstrB.exe service, wasn't appearing and now it is, 

First of all, can you tell me if its "running", go to this service through services.msc (for windows 10 you can just write "services"), and check if its not running, if its not, then 'start' it.

Usually, this is the main reason why you'll get disconnected, I had this problem with PnkBstrA.exe and this is what have i done.

Message 4 of 8 (572 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Later on I wrote that it wasn't dissapearing anymore and it's working.

Message 5 of 8 (569 Views)

★ Guide

Ok.. I'm not fan of giving up.. so lets try it on blind.

First of all, check if you can recover your windows before, you started having the problems. if yes. go ahead and recover. 

if not.

go to services

Check if both pnkbstrA and B are running. if they are great, if not make sure they both are running (you may not find one of them)

now search for the services UPnP Device Host, check if it is running. if not START it.

Tell me the results.

If you're able to do step one, skip step two.

Message 6 of 8 (554 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Well I have some important stuff on my PC, so I can't format it...

I had restarted upnp thing but no results, now I will try with router but  I don't think it is connection/network issue.

I submitted a ticket at evenbalance page so I guess I will have to wait for their response.

However very big Thank You for trying to help me, much appreciated Standard smile

Message 7 of 8 (542 Views)

★ Guide

I got more one, thing we  can try., having few.

Sadly i'm not having this issue so i cant try this on myself :/

go to C/Users/(YourPcName)/appdata/local/punkbuster. and probably you're going to have BF3 > PB > and files in there. you should have pnkbstrb.exe pnkbstra.exe and pnkbstrk.sys

First of all. try launch both pnkbstrb.exe + pnkbstra.exe as administrator 

- solution worked for some >

right click pnkbstrk.sys > properties >  and set as "read-only"

ok. and try

If it'll work. great

if not. 

just DELETE the *** out of this BF3 folder.

uninstall Punkbuster 

restart your PC. and install punkbuster again (from the website)

Tell me how it is going.

Btw, i told you to try and "recover" your windows. it won't effect your files in anyway, just change the, lets say windows settings to the ones. that allowed your BF work.

Formatting of course is an awesome idea, as a last resort. 

Message 8 of 8 (526 Views)