Origin "An unknown error has occurred. Please restart Origin and try again."

by shadolesknight

Original Post

Re: Origin "An unknown error has occurred. Please restart Origin and try again."

★★★ Novice

Glad it fixed it for you!

Message 11 of 56 (5,710 Views)

Re: Origin "An unknown error has occurred. Please restart Origin and try again."

★★★ Novice

i have the same issue, and the posted fix didn't work...what else can i do?

Message 12 of 56 (5,424 Views)

★★★ Newbie

That fix does not work for me, but i found something in other thread:

"Answer from the EA chat support :
Please do not bother about Origin as Server maintenance work is going on and within some minutes you will be able to login.

So don't worry.. "

Message 13 of 56 (5,359 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I was wondering if this was the problem. I played just yesterday and have never had this problem before today. Hopefully this is really the issue ; )

Message 14 of 56 (5,168 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

SOLVED!  (for me at least)

-----DISCLAIMER:  IT'S NOT MY FAULT IF YOU MESS UP YOUR COMPUTER BY ALTERING YOUR "SYSTEM CONFIGURATION"-----

Hi all,  go to "Answer:" if you'd rather not read my ramble!

Back Story:  I recently formatted my laptop and took it back to it's factory settings.

Story:  I went through a series of troubleshooting steps (when I say series I mean all of them!) and none of them worked for me.  After searching the web, trying this trying that and seeing all the insane posts of how "Origin sucks", I decided to see if my internet settings were correct.  I was going to make sure the right ports were opened to allow my laptop to talk to Origin and vice versa, when I stumbled through "msconfig" and found my problem.  Apparently the preloaded anti-virus (McAfee), even though unistalled, happened to leave behind something called "McAfee Personal Firewall Service" in the "Services" tab of msconfig (you sneaky McAfee, you!).  After de-selecting this so called "service" and restarting, my laptop connects just fine to Origin!

Answer: 

If you have Windows 7,

You can click on the "start menu" and type in "msconfig" (without the quotations) then press "enter", your "System Configuration" should appear. 

If you don't, you can find "msconfig" hanging out in "C:\Windows\System32"

Now, click on the "Services" tab then click on the "Manufacturer" sub-tab for easy navigation.  Once here, see if there's any service that might be interfering with Origin or your network.  In my case it was, "McAfee Personal Firewall Service" and de-select it.  (this is were the disclaimer at the top of the page comes into play).  Click on "OK", let your computer restart and if all went according to plan, your problem should be fixed as well!

Extra Tid Bit:  While in "msconfig" under both the "Services" and "Startup" tabs.  I de-select anything that doesn't sound like it needs to be there, right!?  If it says, "Microsoft", I leave it (on).  If it says "AMD", I leave it (on).  If it says, "Intel", I leave it (on).  You get the gist!  But if it says, "Cyberlink this", "Broadcom that" or "unknown", I typically will de-select those!

Now, Now, Now, be very careful!!!  I personally go here to turn off un-wanted, un-necessary and un-needed (in my opinion) services and startup programs, to help my computer run quicker and more efficient.  But for the record, I have seriously jacked up my computers in the past, because I was "messing" with this stuff that I didn't know about.  So be careful and only do what you are comfortable doing (and sometimes, DON'T do what you're comfortable doing...)

Hope this helps somebody!

Sincerely,
Me!
Message 15 of 56 (5,095 Views)

★★★ Newbie

It didnt work and i have tried everything too

Message 16 of 56 (4,750 Views)

★★ Novice

i did not understand what the answer was please explain in greater details how to go about it windows seven pc fifa 13 origin profile setup after download cant get past the next.please help

Message 17 of 56 (3,749 Views)

★ Novice

Same problem.  How do you fix for windows 8?  

Message 18 of 56 (3,710 Views)

★★★ Novice

Step One: Run Command Prompt in Adminstrator mode

How do I run it in Administrator mode do that?

Message 19 of 56 (3,702 Views)

★★★ Newbie

does this work for windows 8 too because its not working for me

Message 20 of 56 (3,668 Views)