Origin downloader needs some work... download keeps pausing

by burzurk88

Original Post

Origin downloader needs some work... download keeps pausing

★★★ Newbie

Installed Origin yesterday and started downloading BF3, last night, went and watched TV, came back in download was paused.  hmmm wierd, started again, and made sure that my computer sleep was all turned to never- not that i have to do this with any other downloader (steam).  went to bed, up again this morning expecting to be able to play, and was paused again, still only about 40% loaded.  go grab breakfast, come back and it's paused again...  WTF?

what started as a - "i should be able to download in about 2 hours and be on playing with you guys in a few..."   has turned into " see you guys in 2-3 days when the game gets done!"

you need to build some sort of checker or restart service into your installer, somethings not working right.   And it's not my PC.... 

running win 7 fyi

Message 1 of 78 (41,811 Views)

Re: Origin downloader needs some work... download keeps pausing

Community Manager (retired)

Hi burzurk88!

I think we can fix this issue, please keep us updated if your problem after this workaround still exist.

At first, download and install the latest version of Origin at www.origin.com/download (and make sure you have your Origin account ready as well)
If that doesn’t helped, close the origin client and go directly to you origin folder  C:\Program Files\Origin Games. Run the origin.exe in this folder with a rightclick -> run as administrator.

This worked out in the most cases, if not, try to deactivate your firewall/antivirus software and/or check the online ports of your connection:

TCP: 80, 443, 9988, 20000-20100, 22990, 17502, 42127
UDP
: 3659, 14000-14016, 22990-23006, 25200-25300
For specific instructions on how to open your ports, please visit http://www.portforward.com/ or contact your router manufacturer.

Cheers
Basti

Message 2 of 78 (41,615 Views)

★★★ Newbie

this is BS i pay for a game and it pauses every 5 min get it togther pain in da ass

Message 3 of 78 (41,302 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

@eabastian wrote:

Hi burzurk88!

I think we can fix this issue, please keep us updated if your problem after this workaround still exist.

At first, download and install the latest version of Origin at www.origin.com/download (and make sure you have your Origin account ready as well)
If that doesn’t helped, close the origin client and go directly to you origin folder  C:\Program Files\Origin Games. Run the origin.exe in this folder with a rightclick -> run as administrator.

This worked out in the most cases, if not, try to deactivate your firewall/antivirus software and/or check the online ports of your connection:

TCP: 80, 443, 9988, 20000-20100, 22990, 17502, 42127
UDP
: 3659, 14000-14016, 22990-23006, 25200-25300
For specific instructions on how to open your ports, please visit http://www.portforward.com/ or contact your router manufacturer.

Cheers
Basti

does not work...

Message 4 of 78 (40,708 Views)

★★ Novice

I know fine well EA put these games on the humble bundle to promote origin, something nobody wants (because steam is far far far far better) 
if on top of having to put up with EA crap I can also not download my games, you guys are hardly selling this **bleep** well, are you. 

Message 5 of 78 (40,402 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Run as administrator worked for me! Confusedmileyhappy:

Message 6 of 78 (39,833 Views)

★★★ Novice

i disabled my firewall now it's working fine Standard smile turn it back again when finished

Message 7 of 78 (39,801 Views)

★ Novice

This is rubbish.

Let's build a spamfest (somehing a bit like Steam, but not a fraction as good) and force people to have to run their games from it.

Then, if they are dumb enough to buy a digital copy of game, we'll ensure it takes them 3 days to be able to redeem the code and that it never downloads anyway. That way we'll never have to deliver what we took money for.

Message 8 of 78 (38,709 Views)

Re: Origin downloaded needs some work... Download keeps pausing

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

It is really annoying. I'm trying to download The Sims 3 from the humble bundle and the download stops every 200 MB. I have a slow internet connection (3.5 MBps) and I need to check every ten minutes that the download is still going. If I do not see the loaded size moving, I need to quit Origin with the task manager and start it again. I was hoping to play the game yesterday at 6 pm, but no, EA decided otherwise. Annoying.

It doesn't even pause, it just stops loading and if I try to pause and restart, I cannot press the resume button. My Internet connection is fine as I'm monitoring the download from work through Logme in and I still get the desktop of my home computer, so it's definitively not a problem with Internet.

I can't even go to sleep and expect the game to be installed on the morning...

(Windows 7 Pro, 64 bits, Ethernet connection)

Message 9 of 78 (38,264 Views)

Re: Origin downloaded needs some work... Download keeps pausing

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I too have the same problem.

1) Download pauses after about 10-15 minutes.

2) Have to close and restart origin  before i can restart the download.

Repeat... been like 3 days and i've got 20%..... while I have a slowish internet (3mbps) it shouldn't take this long

I've tried:

-Completely opening all the ports on this computer through the routher

-Set router DMZ to open to the computer

-Run as Admin

-Turn off screensaver and computer lock

-Turn off firewall.

Also, not to be that guy but the "other" gaming platform is working fine so it's more likely a problem with Origin/EA than it is with my connection.

(Win7 x64 fully updated)

Message 10 of 78 (38,183 Views)