Re: Lag and rubber banding - Battlefield 3

by mongodeathslayer

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Lag and rubber banding - Battlefield 3

★★ Novice

Tried multiple forums without sucess, might aswell have a go on this one.

So lately I've been getting a lot of rubber banding making this game unplayable. It's happened to me in the past a few times, but it's usually been after a patch and has went away by itself. This problem has persisted for the past 3 weeks at differing times of day.

Specs:
AMD 960T
8GB RAM
Nvidia 680
All with up-to-date drivers
dxdiag

Problem - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5361RnWq-J4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2dBsnLP2uE

What I've tried so far to isolate the problem;
speedtest
pingtest
BT speedtest
Defaulting all overclocks
Repairing battlefield 3
Resetting Router
Switching to wired connection
Defaulted BIOS
Changed servers multiple times
Pinging server -n 500 while I play - 0% packet loss, 23ms
Choosing Non-PB servers.
Removing and re-installing Origin and Battlefield 3 twice
Few optimisations
 Disabled sound
Set router into DMZ mode & disabled firewall
System restored to a known working point.
Cleared temp files
Played campaign with no problems
Played the CO-OP mode 'Fire from the sky' when I was flying (and hosting) I and my friend was getting lag, when he was hosting his game was fine but I was lagging.
Flashed router firmware
traceroute
Turned of uPnP
ADSL settings
Update 27/7 - Tried it on my neighbours connection, problem persisted.
re-installed network drivers
re-installed chipset drivers

Case has been reffered to dice as there was no sutiable solution found 

[u]Steps taken as advised by EA customer support;[/u]
Sent DXdiag dump (Already in this post)
Set resolution to 1024x768 and taken a screenshot (Lol?)

Anyone got anything else I can add to the list? Been sitting twiddling my thumbs for nearly a month.

Message 1 of 8 (13,078 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★ Novice

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

The only relevent tweak I found in: http://sonsofvalour.forumotion.co.nz/t687-battlefield-3-tweaks-and-fixes that I hadn't tried before was trying to disable ECN packets, never really done anything.

I had previously tried running only the required services and programs along with the minimum hardware but the problem persisted. 

Finally caved in and done a fresh install of windows which seemed to have fixed the problem, unfortunately I haven't been able to isolate what was conflicting with BF3 but I can presume it was probably software related. I'm still getting lag spikes every 10 or 20 minutes but I think that's down to the problem a lot of people are having with punkbuster, either way it's better every 10 minutes than once a second.

I have since re-installed most of my programs I had before without the problem resurfacing, so maybe it was an older version of something.. We'll never really know. Shame I had to go through the hassle of a full re-install to solve it. but yeah.

View in thread

Message 4 of 8 (14,079 Views)

All Replies

★★★★★ Novice

Dear Sir/Madam,

Please take a look at this link for possible fixes for your problem:

http://sonsofvalour.forumotion.co.nz/t687-battlefield-3-tweaks-and-fixes

Kind regards,

Mongo Deathslayer

Message 2 of 8 (13,047 Views)

★ Guide

Wow, sounds like a nightmare mate...

I would make sure to do a complete driver sweep and make sure to reinstall the graphic drivers again. I would repeat this process with the latest stable drivers and with the beta drivers as well.

Since you are experiencing this issue at a different network, it has to be related directly to your PC. Perhaps try a cleanboot to see if the problem persists? It could be something running in the background causing the issue.

To run a cleanboot, do the following:

1 Click on Start and type in msconfig

2 Check Selective startup and uncheck "load startup items".

3 Go to the Services tab

4 Check "hide all Microsoft services"

5 Check "disable all"

6 Press OK and let your PC reboot.

To undo these changes, repeat step 1 and check "normal startup". Press OK and let your PC reboot.

Message 3 of 8 (13,044 Views)

★★ Novice

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

The only relevent tweak I found in: http://sonsofvalour.forumotion.co.nz/t687-battlefield-3-tweaks-and-fixes that I hadn't tried before was trying to disable ECN packets, never really done anything.

I had previously tried running only the required services and programs along with the minimum hardware but the problem persisted. 

Finally caved in and done a fresh install of windows which seemed to have fixed the problem, unfortunately I haven't been able to isolate what was conflicting with BF3 but I can presume it was probably software related. I'm still getting lag spikes every 10 or 20 minutes but I think that's down to the problem a lot of people are having with punkbuster, either way it's better every 10 minutes than once a second.

I have since re-installed most of my programs I had before without the problem resurfacing, so maybe it was an older version of something.. We'll never really know. Shame I had to go through the hassle of a full re-install to solve it. but yeah.

Message 4 of 8 (14,080 Views)

★ Novice

Have the same problem.  I have formated my machine a total of 3 times and the issues don't go away.  Seemed to work yesterday with hyper threading turned off in bios, but was just as bad as ever again today.  Have no idea what to do.  Build a new pc maybe?

System Specs:

Asus Rampage Gene III

i7 950 

16GB DDR3 1600mhz

2 x XFX HD5870 XXX 1GB in CrossFire

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Message 5 of 8 (11,657 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Same here. Been running smoothly up until AK then started to get lag spikes bad. Did all the usual tweaks and nothing. Somehow it worked it self out after a few weeks. Then comes end game totally unplayable lag spikes every 3 seconds or so hopefully they come out with a fix for this.  Updated bios upgraded CPU from phenol 2x4 black edition to fx 8350, upgraded gpu, upgraded sound card and replaced 2hdd with 2 ssd upgrade ram from gskill 1333 to corsair 1600 still the same took it over to friends house used his ISP there was no change. Ran in clean boot still no change. Reinstall windows, only updates install nothing else except bf3 no other software played for a few hours ran perfect. Shutdown for the night, booted up this morning and bam lag spike galore its not my ISP and its not my machine, how could so many be having the same issue on different machines with different specs. Something is wrong with the code. Spoke with ea rep through phone and email did everything suggested with same result. I believe they are working on a fix just takes time. If this issue is not resolved I will not be plunking my greens on bf4. I really love this game, when it works its awesome when it doesn't. Sad panda is sad.

System Specs:

Asrock 990fx pro.

amd fx-8350 4ghz mild oc 4.33 ghz

16gb corsair dominator 1600mhz

upgraded video from xfx 7770 ghz edition to saphire radeon 7950 with boost. (runs all my games on ultra) didn't help with bf3

windows 7 home premium 64bit sp 1

Message 6 of 8 (10,923 Views)

★★★ Newbie

tTo all : check if your comp do not run some power saving program

This takes out some of the processor cores and this game is porecessor core dependant times more than the vidoe card.

I learned that lesson when bought GB GTX770 for 400 eur and then no improvement so then need to bought 6 core +new MB and RAM then now I'm OK and run it as a knife in a butter. Once tried the power saving program and lag has started exactly you describe it: I can not run almost for half a second stay at one place during the run.

frames are not so bad but there is a lag in movements. CPU is run as downclocked and the **bleep**ing program do not care I need the CPU power back.

**bleep** it out and back again in the biz.

I say again for all that have that prob or thinking for a new rig to play BF3 with high fps especially for 64 players multiplayers map TDM.

No need high end video card but need high end procesor only and good MB. As i have no better monitor as I\m currently abroad  I run 70-110 fps on ultra high 64 players on 1280x760 resulition 19 inch monitor

And for those that are need to know FX-6300 do not bottleneck GTX 770. In BF 3 FX-6300 works on around 50-60 % to bearly 70 % load and the video load is about 45 to 55 %. Both I cool them with Skythe Ninja and an additional 8 cm cooler and they works 50-60 C. Previous processor was 2 core 7750 black serries overclocked and was bottlenecking GTX 770 as the video stayed up to max 30-40% when the CPU was totally 100%.

Again less than 4 cores x 3000 mghz in BF 3 is not enough to play with smooth screen and movements.

Message 7 of 8 (8,264 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Hi, I just got done building my new pc. I installed all my games, which, now I know, they all run at 32bit. my system is set up for 64bit. I have all the fine equipment. I started playing bf3 and it started great, it worked great for at least a few games. Then I shut it down for the night and started next morning. It seem to run good. Then I switched to play css in Steam. I noticed that my pixels were to large, so I went in to advance setting and changed it to the highest, and applied. the screen did flickered and went black, then came back but when I went in to play, It wasn't running as good, like it should. So I did a file check and then. When to try a play, bf3, thats when the freeze framing and lag started. I can't play the game and don't know what to do. I like the game alot but EA will not fix their problems. They just wanted to get the game out on the market, so they could cash in, and figured they could try and fix it later. Maybe its time to fine better game designers that know what the hell they are doing. 

Message 8 of 8 (2,916 Views)