Re: Downloading from the disk

by faym3

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Downloading from the disk

★★★ Novice

So I have a disk copy of Battlefield 3 but every time I go to install, its downloads from Origin.  I have a very slow connection which would take me a day or better to download. Is there anyway to install from the disk I bought?

Message 1 of 4 (1,018 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★ Apprentice

You should definitely be able to install from the disc via an autoplay option that should open when you insert the game into your computer. If the autoplay option isn't working, first make sure the disc is in your system, then open "My Computer" from the start menu or desktop. Once there, you should see the BF3 icon loaded onto your disc drive. Click on the icon and this should launch the auto installer, or right click "Explore," and find the installer on the disc yourself. 

What Origin is most likely downloading is the latest Title Update for BF3, which I believe is quite massive. You will need this tilte update to play BF3 online, so unfortunately, with your slow connection, it might take awhile to start playing even if you successfully install the game itself from the disc.

Let me know how it goes.

View in thread

Message 2 of 4 (1,048 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Apprentice

You should definitely be able to install from the disc via an autoplay option that should open when you insert the game into your computer. If the autoplay option isn't working, first make sure the disc is in your system, then open "My Computer" from the start menu or desktop. Once there, you should see the BF3 icon loaded onto your disc drive. Click on the icon and this should launch the auto installer, or right click "Explore," and find the installer on the disc yourself. 

What Origin is most likely downloading is the latest Title Update for BF3, which I believe is quite massive. You will need this tilte update to play BF3 online, so unfortunately, with your slow connection, it might take awhile to start playing even if you successfully install the game itself from the disc.

Let me know how it goes.

Message 2 of 4 (1,049 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I remember the installation for Battlefield 3 going through Origin despite installing from the disk.  It looks as though it's downloading, because rather than using a conventional installer it goes right through Origin and uses the same progress bar.  It's still installing from your disk, and probably downloading the latest update at once like hawksg33 said as well.

Message 3 of 4 (1,006 Views)
Highlighted

★ Guide

Hey Bloodlessrook,

Another thing you can do is open up the disk under My Computer.

Then drag the files onto your desktop in a folder and launch the AUTORUN.EXE file.

Make sure that before you launch the autorun.exe you have Origin closed completely. Don't have it minimized Standard smile

Message 4 of 4 (994 Views)