Re: Can't install Battlefield 3: EA Installer Touchup Crashing

by TheSnacker810

Original Post

Can't install Battlefield 3: EA Installer Touchup Crashing

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

So I bought Battlefield 3 today, downloaded it and I can't install it. It installs for around 20 seconds and then it comes up with a pop up message saying "EA Installer Touchup has stopped working" I've scoured the internet for fixes and I can't find any. I've tried redownloading it and nothing. I've tried reinstalling Origin, same thing happens. I've tried adding administrator permissions to the files and nothing. I am on a Admininstrator account. I really don't want to be felt ripped off. But right not I can't help it considering the thing doesn't even install! Everything else on my PC works fine...

Here is the InstallLog text of my most recent attempt at installing it:

09:52:59 Install Location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 3\
09:52:59 Install Locale: en_US
09:52:59 Initialized installation config.
09:52:59 CommandLine: install -locale en_US -installPath "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 3\" -autologging -startmenuIcon=1 -desktopIcon=1
09:52:59 OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition
09:52:59 Data reader initialized.
09:52:59 Data reader config: LOCALE = en_US
09:52:59 Data reader config: INSTALL_LOCATION = C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 3\
09:52:59 Data reader config: INSTALL_LOCATION_DOUBLE_BACKSLASH = C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 3
09:52:59 Data reader config: CREATE_DESKTOP_ICON = 1
09:52:59 Data reader config: CREATE_STARTMENU_ICON = 1
09:52:59 Data reader config: 32BIT = 0
09:52:59 Data reader config: 64BIT = 1
09:52:59 Processing EAIN file 'C:\PROGRA~2\ORIGIN~1\BATTLE~1\__INST~1\Touchup.dat'.
09:52:59 Installation registry missing. Game not yet installed.
09:52:59 (Config)Studio: EA Games
09:52:59 (Config)Game Name: Battlefield 3
09:52:59 (Config)Display Game Name: Battlefield 3™
09:52:59 Start redistributables install phase
09:52:59 Installing DirectX
09:52:59 Launching process:
Command: C:\PROGRA~2\ORIGIN~1\BATTLE~1\__INST~1\directx\redist\dxsetup.exe /silent
Working directory: C:\PROGRA~2\ORIGIN~1\BATTLE~1\__INST~1\directx\redist\
09:53:07 Process exited with exit code 0.
09:53:07 Successfully installed DirectX runtime.
09:53:07 x86 VC runtime already installed.
09:53:07 Not Installing PunkBuster
09:53:08 End of redistributables install phase
09:53:08 Setting up uninstall data ...

Message 1 of 6 (4,707 Views)

★★ Novice
Bump
Message 2 of 6 (4,660 Views)

★★ Novice

Bump. Problem still not fixed >.<

Message 3 of 6 (4,526 Views)

★ Novice

[SOLVED]

Guys at EA don't seem to give a damn about people's internet usage or whatever - downloading works, otherwise screw you. The support guys don't seem to give a damn. On the other hand, they aren't so security-oriented on the download-side of things, so you can go arund that process in Origin, so your solution is:

1. Start the download in Origin, wait for it to do 1% or something

2. Then kill Origin.

3. Now you can put your full backup to its place

4. Start Origin, it will check the downloaded content, and it'll see that voila!, everything is ready.

5. It runs the installer and you're good to go.

Hope this still helps Standard smile

Message 4 of 6 (4,031 Views)

★★★ Newbie

OMIGOSH! Thank you sooo much! I was trying to download Sim City 2013 and it wouldn't work. When I tried this it fixed the install and it said "Play" instead of "Install"! The method below works for ANY game so far.

@LowSuperasder wrote:

[SOLVED]

Guys at EA don't seem to give a damn about people's internet usage or whatever - downloading works, otherwise screw you. The support guys don't seem to give a damn. On the other hand, they aren't so security-oriented on the download-side of things, so you can go arund that process in Origin, so your solution is:

1. Start the download in Origin, wait for it to do 1% or something

2. Then kill Origin.

3. Now you can put your full backup to its place

4. Start Origin, it will check the downloaded content, and it'll see that voila!, everything is ready.

5. It runs the installer and you're good to go.

Hope this still helps Standard smile

Message 5 of 6 (2,529 Views)

★ Novice

In my case, Origin just deleted 83% of the Backup I pasted in the games location. Now it wants to do the download again (on 17%).
Of course I didnt save the game in another place before, I don't have infinite space on my SSD.
I have the same issue with some Steam games (i.e. Evolve) and before with uPlay (Division).

Message 6 of 6 (2,012 Views)