reach out to EA helpdesk, they were able to fix it for me. Didn't have to download anything anymore, just suddenly worked again like before.
Well update.. Now i have made all installations.. Buuuuuuut *drums playing* Freaking PUNKBUSTER problem now........
I found that my issue had to do with A) popup blocker and B) a required firewall exception
1) Use mozilla firefox, if you don't have it, get
2) type 'Internet options' in Cortana search bar and open it,--click 'Privacy' & add the Battlelog url to the pop-up blocker exceptions , also add it to your Firefox
pop-up blocker exceptions
3) Add the 'BF3WebHelper.exe" (programfilesx86\OriginGames\Battlefield3 folder) to your 'Allow an app through Firewall' in Window Network settings
4) Open your desktop Origin app-sign in
5) Open 'battlelog.battlefield.com' in Firefox. sign in and launch the game from Firefox
Game will open in an external window so look at your task bar and if you see the soldier, click him to open the game window
Hi, dude, I found how to fix this problem
First, close the origin on the computer completely in the task manager, and then go to the browser and go to the origin already through the browser and there you click the game library select battlefield and click run origin it starts on the pc and thus the game download menu appears, since I'm from Russia there will not be Russian, but for you this is not a problem .
I made a phone call to EA a few minutes ago, cause i am having the same problem. They told me to wait for a patch to solve this. It is a problem with the game BF3. The developers of the game are working on it.
Starting the download from the browser helped and once the game was downloaded I was able to play it.
for me it s the same , the game is at 0% and do noy download, i ve try every solutions but none working. i can't even find the folder of bf3 on my computer....