Re: Battlefield 3 Steam Edition

by Hairbautt

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Battlefield 3 Steam Edition

★★★ Newbie

Hello,

Just finished downloading BF3 for Steam, as well as linking my Origin to my Steam account and installing Punkbuster. Yet every time I try to launch BF3 through steam nothing happens. The game never launches. Am I missing a step?

Message 1 of 10 (6,155 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]

@CrazyTom101 BF3 must be launched via Battlelog here: https://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/gate/
In order to minimize the potential for issues with modern browsers I recommend to use Internet Explorer (not Edge or Chrome) and in the Battlelog settings choose to launch the game via the Battlelog Plugin instead of using the Plugin free method.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Please mark a thread as solved if a post solves your issue.

EA Answers HQ Volunteer Forum Moderator

BF3, BF4, BF1, BFV DICE Friend tag awardee

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Twitter: Ragnarok013

View in thread

Message 3 of 10 (6,007 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Newbie
@CrazyTom101 i can play campain if i launch it thru origin but when i want mp i have to launch it thru steam, i get to server browser and when i want to join a game, its loading a loooong time and then im told the game is already on so i have to turn it off in task manager but theres nothing, after getting to the server browser, i can turn it off only by restarting my pc
Message 2 of 10 (6,040 Views)

[ Edited ]

@CrazyTom101 BF3 must be launched via Battlelog here: https://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/gate/
In order to minimize the potential for issues with modern browsers I recommend to use Internet Explorer (not Edge or Chrome) and in the Battlelog settings choose to launch the game via the Battlelog Plugin instead of using the Plugin free method.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Message 3 of 10 (6,008 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Yes, if you log out if battlelog and log back in it should kill the liading issues 

Message 4 of 10 (5,951 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I guess we were supposed to be born with this knowledge? 

Message 5 of 10 (5,765 Views)

@gamertag32145 No which is why we have this self help site to help our fellow players enjoy the game. It's a very old game so sometimes tricks and workarounds are necessary.

Message 6 of 10 (5,738 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

None of these solutions work. I think Battlelog fails to load Battlefield 3 because I once had it installed through Origin. Now that I have the Steam version, it just fails to launch. I never had it installed on my laptop so I tried the Steam version and the game as well as Battlelog launch just fine.

I spent an hour sorting through the registry and uninstalling/reinstalling Origin and Battlefield 3 while trying to sweep up the remnants, but it still fails to execute the bf3.exe for the Steam install.

EDIT:

Did you once have Battlefield 3 installed from Origin? Did you decide to repurchase it on Steam because reasons? Are you now not able to launch the game? Yeah, me too. After reading countless guides and reading typical troubleshooting dribble, I think I may have discovered the reason.

The explanation is that Battlelog is failing to locate the Steam installation and may instead be searching for your prior Origin installation causing it to hang up on "Initializing" and failing to launch altogether. Here are the steps I took to resolve this.

1.) Uninstall Origin and restart your PC
2.) Delete the following folders (if the folders are already gone then great!)
- C:\Users\[USER NAME]\AppData\Local\Origin
- C:\Users\[USER NAME]\AppData\Roaming\Origin
- C:\ProgramData\EA Logs
- C:\ProgramData\Electronic Arts
- C:\ProgramData\Origin
3.) Run CCleaner's Registry cleaner (https://www.ccleaner.com/) and remove entries related to EA, Electronic Arts, Battlefield 3 and Origin. If it's your first time using a registry cleaner, you might need to do some more research.
4.) For Chromium browsers I also went to [i]https://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/[/i] and went to "Site Settings" and Cleared Data and Reset Permissions.
5.) Reinstall Origin (https://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/store/download) and watch Origin revalidate your games. This should occur automatically upon launching the program. Once this completes, you can open the Steam version of Battlefield 3 and watch it launch Battlelog. Choose a server, launch the campaign and play!

***This was a quick 5 minute write up and I'm going to need some feedback. I am really busy and may not be the most responsive so give me some time.

Something to note: the "white screen" issue when pulling up the game is caused by RivaTuner Statistics Server which is included in programs like MSI Afterburner. Just add bf3.exe to the profiles list and set the "Application Detection Level" to "None."

Message 7 of 10 (5,708 Views)

★★★ Novice

Great !!! Thank you, it worked for me, it's too great ! Heart

Message 8 of 10 (5,582 Views)

★★ Novice

Po uruchomieniu gry na steam automatycznie odpala się origin i przeglądarka z battlelogiem. Przeglądarkę trzeba zamknąć i otworzyć ponownie wygooglować battlelog i się zalogować.

Ja tak muszę robić inaczej nie ma opcji żebym dostał się na serwer ponieważ strona go automatycznie zamyka i zawiesza się.

Message 9 of 10 (5,115 Views)

Hero (Retired)
@ostatni_fajek Please post in English here as this is English section of the forums.
Message 10 of 10 (5,019 Views)