Battlefield 3 DirectX/Driver error for Nvidia graphics

by Raincoatzz

Original Post

Battlefield 3 DirectX/Driver error for Nvidia graphics

★★ Novice

After i paly for about 10 minutes i get this error and the game crashes.

DirectX function "GetDeviceRemovedReason" failed with
DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG: Device hung due to badly formed
commands.. GPU: "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 v2 ", Driver: 30623

I have tried re-installing the graphics driver, re-installing Battlefield 3, re-installing directX, restarting my computer, and rolling back my driver just in case it was because of the latest update, none of this worked I am out of ideas and this seems to be an ongoing problem since the release. Is there a fix to this issue?

Message 1 of 14 (3,233 Views)

Re: Battlefield 3 DirectX/Driver error for Nvidia graphics

★★★★★ Newbie

used to get the same problem for every game

1. update drivers

2.I downloaded Evga precicion x and lowed the slider for Gpu clock offset and memory offset by alittle bit, bam instant solution for me atleast

Message 2 of 14 (3,231 Views)

★★ Novice

That did nothing for me, still getting the issue

Message 3 of 14 (3,218 Views)

★ Apprentice

The reason for that is your computer or your video card might be overheated, there they will stop working and remain not working until you restart your computer, and at least the game should be working in the first time until your computer or you video card get overheated again, then you restart your com again and the process should be done over and over again in order to be able to at least play the game

Message 4 of 14 (3,213 Views)

★★ Novice

No, that isnt true i always monitor the heat of all my hardware and it is running at 33 celcius which is a perfect tempurature, I also can play any game for hours on end which has better/equal graphics to battlefield 3 with no issue what-so-ever. I also play BF3 in low quality because i don't like the look of high graphics fps. 

Message 5 of 14 (3,205 Views)

★ Apprentice

Your reply says that you can run BF3 perfectly without any problems

Message 6 of 14 (3,193 Views)

★★ Novice

Exactly, my build is great for running BF3 i have no clue why it's crashing

Message 7 of 14 (3,190 Views)

★ Apprentice

When your computer reaches a high temperature, it will start to decrease its electric current to decrease its temperature, so therefor its performance will decrease. Most weaker computer are designed in that way to fit in the Fire Department's Policy to prevent fire hazards

Message 8 of 14 (3,176 Views)

★★ Novice

My computer is not overheating i know exactly how it works, I am an engineer but I'm not a software troubleshooter therefore my question lies within the error message not the physical integrity of the computer hardware itself, there is no external, internal, or thermal problem with anything on or in this computer.

Message 9 of 14 (3,171 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

Quite a number of relatively recent games are using timing markers they get from the GPUs in the systems they are running on.  If a programmer isn't handling these referencing markers correctly, the game can be misled by particularly fast-set numbers.  It loses track of what is happening and the only work-around is to slow the speeds down incrementally.  The Mass Effect game has some opposite-effect timing that makes slow-running graphics unusable in really simple situations (the locker early in the game where your character arms himself won't open for a bad GPU). 

Message 10 of 14 (3,169 Views)