BUG: BF3 lag spikes since January 2013...

by lCobraCommanderl

Original Post

Accepted Solution

BUG: BF3 lag spikes since January 2013...

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPlCNxCa8yg

BUG: I've been playing BF3 since October 2011 release.  But recently I've been experiencing BF3 lag stutter spikes since January 2013.  My ping and FPS are consistent and fine.  But BF3 has lag spikes that cause a stutter every second--which makes the game very bad to play.  You can clearly see this problem on flying jets--where they stutter in the air as they're flying.  I don't have this problem with any other online games on my system.  So this is the fault of BF3.  End Game DLC is coming out soon and I want to be able to play without this problem.  Can this be fixed?

BF3 Premium
US servers (West Coast)

EVGA GEFORCE GTX 660 TI (tested several final drivers)
Windows 7 x64 SP1

-----

NOTE: if you're also having this problem, you can report this problem to EA tech support via online chat...

https://help.ea.com/contact-us

or, the phone support team can be contacted on (https://help.ea.com/en/) from 10am-10pm est, monday through saturday.

Message 1 of 37 (13,439 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: BUG: BF3 lag spikes since January 2013...

★★★★★ Apprentice

I'm the original poster of this topic and I found the fix to my problem.

I found out that an overheating CPU can cause very bad stuttering. I fixed it by dusting my heatsinks with compressed air. You can also try increasing the CPU fan speed in your BIOS. If you have a similar problem, you should try it.

View in thread

Message 26 of 37 (3,045 Views)

All Replies

Re: BUG: BF3 bad stuttering gameplay since January 2013 updates...

Hero (Retired)

Hi there!

Repair Origin as well as PunkBuster. Do a quick reinstall on the latest muliplayer update as well. 

Make sure you have all the latest drivers installed as well as the latest version of Origin/PunkBuster.

- With kind regards, Timmie.

Message 2 of 37 (13,399 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

but i have no problem running the programs.  the performance just sucks.  seems the hard drive is being accessed a lot during the stutters.

Message 3 of 37 (13,393 Views)

★★★★ Guide
Hi there,

Is there anything else that could be demanding on your hard drive during these stutters? This sounds like the game cant load textures from the drive fast enough because of a slow drive, some other program has I/O priority over your game or possibly a failing hard drive

Kuro
Message 4 of 37 (13,390 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

there's nothing wrong with my  drive, i play other games fine.  i have nothing unusual running in the background either.  bf3 used to play smoothly until this january.  so it seems like some of the recent updates are bugged.

Message 5 of 37 (13,388 Views)

★★★★ Guide
Alright then

Have you tried what n1t3mar3xsv said and reinstalled the updates?
You could also try defragmenting the game files to increase performance

Kuro
Message 6 of 37 (13,386 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

i already tried defragging.

how do i reinstall the updates?  i can't find such an option.

Message 7 of 37 (13,384 Views)

★★★★ Guide
You can go to the folder where Battlefield 3 in installed and you will find folders called XP or XPACK followed by a number. Delete them and then repair install on origin and it will redownload them

Kuro
Message 8 of 37 (13,382 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

i tried these and they did nothing...

- repair installs

- updated video driver to latest nvidia 310.90 (with clean install)

also, this happens only in multiplayer--single player is fine.  it starts happening after a few minutes of playing multiplayer.  my internet is fine, i play other online games with no lag.  only a problem in bf3 recently.  can this be fixed?

Message 9 of 37 (13,369 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

This problem might be caused by lag spikes in BF3. However, this is only a problem with BF3 and not any other online games on my system. I've tried multiple servers. My ping is usually 30-70. Can this be fixed in an update? 

Message 10 of 37 (13,355 Views)