Re: BUG: BF3 lag spikes since January 2013...

by warspite721

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

This game was running perfectly up until around April, then I started getting this rubberbanding issue.  It's very frustrating and makes multiplayer completely unenjoyable.  It's exactly as many people say... ping is always low and stable, but will sometimes spike very high, running in one spot or being pushed around by nothing, jittering while shooting, shots and equipment switches not registering.

I made no major changes when this problem popped up, other than Windows updates and downloading whatever patches to the game.  I've done re-installs of Windows several times, clean installs of just the game, updated the mobo bios, tried various versions of the video card driver, opened up my router ports (which I've never had to do before)... nothing fixes the problem.  I even got a new computer (not for the purpose of fixing this problem), and the problem persists.  So it's definitely NOT a problem with my computer.

It is possible that there's an issue with my internet provider, but if that was the case, then everyone else I know on the same service would have issues too.  But that's not the case.  A problem with the game's netcode is the most likely issue, since I can usually get normal gameplay during off-peak hours.  But DICE has never officially admitted to anything related to this issue, just giving the standard answer "we'll look into it."  I highly doubt they are or will be, since BF4 is right around the corner.  I really hope this problem doesn't persist in BF4 mutliplayer...

Message 31 of 37 (1,939 Views)

★★★ Newbie

same here. didn't play the game ~3months. ran perfectly smooth in the past. now this rubberbanding all the time. ping is stable between 20-40 but suddenly heavy spikes appear. system is completely up to date + no connection issues at all (30ms stable in other games). so whats up to this game by now?

Message 32 of 37 (1,908 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Yes I'm having this same problem too, and it's driving me nuts.  As a PC enthusiast, I can tell the difference.  Probably not many people are saying much but I bet everyone is suffering.  They just can't put their finger on it like we can.  It might be just a GeForce Ti problem, because that's one thing we all seem to have in common.

Message 33 of 37 (1,887 Views)

★★★ Newbie

its always something with bf3, i am sure bf4 will have so many issues its not even funny, they cant even fix a game thats been out for 2 years, everytime they try to fix a issue they make 12 more issues, the lag on bf3 is insane, i get rubberband all the time, 35 ping, feels like a 300 ping, ea dont care if me or you are lagging,  this game is like a 2 year old beta game for bf4, which they still wont have right when its released, to me ea is a joke, they always say to reinstall the game to fix errors etc  , muahahah that  dont work. i will not even fall for that b...s...... simple fix  dont play ea games...

Message 34 of 37 (1,858 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

I have a 670, and I'm experiencing this exact issue.  So, it's not just a "Ti" problem or even an Nvidia problem.  I suspect something is hinky with the netcode.

My rig:

- Case: Silverstone Raven RV02b-EW
- Mobo: ASUS P9X79 PRO X79 LGA2011
- CPU: Intel Core i7 3820 @ 4.3GHz
- Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011
- RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) 9-9-9-24 @ 1600MHz
- Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB with WindForce cooler (soon in SLI)
- Sound: onboard with a Sennheiser PC-350 headset
- HDDs:
----256GB Crucial M4 SSD (C:\)
----300GB WD Velociraptor (Programs)
----1.5TB WD (Data)
----3.0TB Seagate Barracuda (Backup)
- Optical: Samsung 48x DVD burner
- Power: Zalman 800W modular PSU
- Mouse: Razer Death Adder 2013
- Keyboard: Noppoo Choc Tenkeyless with Brown Cherry MX switches
- Monitor: Acer HN274H (27" primary @ 120Hz), Planar PX2710MW (27" secondary @ 60Hz)

Message 35 of 37 (1,835 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

I posted this on my Gaming Community website to summarize all of the stuff I've tried to far to fix this issue and the results I've had.  I've pulled a ton of info from many sites and I've had some limited success in minimizing the impact of what is obviously a flaw that end users have very limited control over.  In theory, the source of this problem could be a Windows patch or some other invisible wide-ranging software change, a bug in the game code, or a bug in the netcode.  Anyway, here are the results of what I've done to try to minimize the effects of this problem to date:

Yesterday I've gotten some positive results with the tests I've run on several different servers. I've made some good headway and have gotten to the point where I get significant stretches of lag-free gameplay, then I will get a hit of lag briefly, then no lag for awhile. I have to assume that this is probably normal. To date, I've tried:

- Clean install Win7 x64
- Latest BIOS
- Stock clocks
- HT disabled
- C1E (and C3/5/7, and SpeedStep) disabled
- Virtualization disabled
- Latest chipset drivers
- Core Parking diabled
- Latest Nvidia drivers installed
- Tried two different video cards, no change in the issue
- Latest NIC drivers, IPV6 diabled (unavailable in my Comcast segment anyway)
- Some network stack tweaks (no effect that I could notice)
- Vsync on
- FPS limited to 59.95 in user.cfg (with appropriate FPS set in game, with ingame vsync on)
- Changing several of the in-game settings
- Made lots of changes to my user.cfg file

All of the above things really didn't help much, then I did the things below yesterday (leaving the earlier changes in place):

- Disable DLNA server
- Disable Origin Notifications

- Disable Origin CloudSync
- Nvidia Ctrl Panel
   - Set Max Prerenderered Frames to 1
   - Turned Vsync ON
   - Set Triple Buffering to OFF
- Turn off Network Discovery
- Flush the DNS cache
- Disable ECN Packets
- Disable UPnP service (in Win7 and in my router)
- Disable SSDP Discovery (Win7 service)
- Disable Pagefile (swapfile)

In my user.cfg file, I set maxframes to 59.95
In game
- Set my resolution to 1920x1080 @59.95Hz
- Set Vsync to ON
- Set Network Smoothing slider all the way to the right (full)

Gameplay was much better after making these changes. I'm not sure which thing or which combo of things did the trick, but I took the "throw a bunch of things at the wall and see what sticks" approach and it seems to have helped.

I'm still not "lag free", but at least the game is a lot more playable. I know a lot of you will say, "Wait, you're introducing input lag and other nasties by using network interpolation and turning Vsync on. I have to agree. I am sure that, although gameplay appears to be smoother, my hit registration is suffering somewhat for it. Since I don't play competitively, these slight offsets are a sacrifice I'm willing to make in order to see better in game and enjoy the gameplay more. I figure if YouTubers can live stream and play at 60FPS with Vsync and network interpolation maxed out to smooth the game (while being competitive), I can suck it up for casual play.

As far as I can tell, despite these settings, I have no perceptible input lag. Maybe having a powerful PC and a 120Hz monitor helps keep the input lag down to a dull roar. My replacement video card gets here Friday, and once I have it installed, I should be able to Vsync at 120Hz vice 60Hz. I will test that out and see how things go with two GTX 670s in SLI and the game running on mostly "Low" settings. More to follow this weekend.

So, to date, this post should serve as a pretty comprehensive list of things to try to reduce lag and stuttering in BF3. It is probably even better that I don't know exactly what did the trick, because everyone's system is different, as are their networks and the hops between their router and the game server they are playing on. There are so many variables that no one can definitively say there is "one right thing" to do in order to fix the lag in BF3.

war

Message 36 of 37 (1,831 Views)

★ Guide

Yeah I remember that rubberbading started in janurya for em aswell. Put me off the game until september 

Message 37 of 37 (642 Views)