Re: DirectX Error (DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED)

by DraconariusXVII

Original Post

Accepted Solution

DirectX Error (DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED)

★★★ Newbie

I had been playing Battlefield 1 for a couple months now and never had any issues. This afternoon I launched the game and it opened a window and presumed to load the game, the window then automatically became full screen and the game froze. I used control+alt+delete to close the game and eventually received an error message which can be seen below. I went online and saw this was a common problem but was unable to find a clear solution to my problem. I tried reinstalling DirectX, updating my NVidia driver, and also installing the previous Nvidia driver from when the game was playable and I still am unable to play the game.

I have an ASUS laptop i7 processor, windows 10 64xbit, 8GB of ram

I have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M video card with 4GB of VRAM (Current driver is 378.49, was playing game successfully on driver version 376.33)

I can play the game on high settings with a good framerate

I attached the screenshot of the error message but in case it doesn't work I will type it out below

DirectX Error

DirectX function "FindClosestMatchingMode" failed with DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED ("The video card has been physically removed from the system, or a drive upgrade for the video card has occured.") GPU: "", Driver."37849". This error is usually caused by the graphics driver crashing; try installing the latest drivers. Also, make sure you have a supported graphics card with at least 1024 MB of VRAM.

Message 1 of 17 (119,135 Views)

Accepted Solution
Highlighted

★★ Novice

My problem has been resolved. What happened was after simply reinstalling the latest Nvidia drivers as a clean installation (on top of rolling them back previously); I loaded the game and the problem persisted but after managing to manipulate my mouse to start playing a multiplayer game, the game continued to lag and behave oddly for a good few minutes and after that it settled and seemed to have fixed itself.

View in thread

Message 8 of 17 (129,133 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager (retired)

Hello @mmadeya 

This error is clearly caused by some kind of driver issue. Can you try to reinstall the old drivers again, but this time, perform a clean install

Keep me posted on this.

Cheers.

Archi

Archi.png
Message 2 of 17 (119,069 Views)

★★ Novice

I have had this exact same problem just moments ago but on my GTX 960 (not mobile). This crash only occurred once to me but now every time I load the game it lags on the home screen (where you pick to play campaign, multiplayer...etc) and while loading. The moving particles stutter as does the music sound distorted and my mouse moves rather uncontrollably. I have rolled back the Nvidia drivers and tried to play to no avail and re-installed the latest drivers also to no avail. Mind I've played for 25hours in total without issues, this includes a few days on the latest drivers update.

Message 3 of 17 (119,063 Views)

★★★ Newbie

The clean install through GeForce experience work. For some reason my framerate has dropped after this update, having graphically issues. As I said before I was to play on high settings very smoothly and now I have to run it on low for it work, but at least I can play the game again I guess.

Message 4 of 17 (119,049 Views)

Hello @mmadeya 

And thank you for reporting back. Good to know you are able to run the game now. I will forward your information to our expert team for further investigation. 

@DraconariusXVII 

Have you tried to perform the Clean installation of the older drivers?

Archi.png
Message 5 of 17 (119,028 Views)

@mmadeya wrote:

I had been playing Battlefield 1 for a couple months now and never had any issues. This afternoon I launched the game and it opened a window and presumed to load the game, the window then automatically became full screen and the game froze. I used control+alt+delete to close the game and eventually received an error message which can be seen below. I went online and saw this was a common problem but was unable to find a clear solution to my problem. I tried reinstalling DirectX, updating my NVidia driver, and also installing the previous Nvidia driver from when the game was playable and I still am unable to play the game.

I have an ASUS laptop i7 processor, windows 10 64xbit, 8GB of ram

I have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M video card with 4GB of VRAM (Current driver is 378.49, was playing game successfully on driver version 376.33)

I can play the game on high settings with a good framerate

I attached the screenshot of the error message but in case it doesn't work I will type it out below

DirectX Error

DirectX function "FindClosestMatchingMode" failed with DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED ("The video card has been physically removed from the system, or a drive upgrade for the video card has occured.") GPU: "", Driver."37849". This error is usually caused by the graphics driver crashing; try installing the latest drivers. Also, make sure you have a supported graphics card with at least 1024 MB of VRAM.

@mmadeya this video solution fixed this exact error for me back in BF3 and BF4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD6j3xTH-vg&index=75&list=WL

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Please mark a thread as solved if a post solves your issue.

EA Answers HQ Volunteer Forum Moderator

BF3, BF4, BF1, BFV DICE Friend tag awardee

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Twitter: Ragnarok013
Message 6 of 17 (119,010 Views)

Hello @mmadeya 

Have you tried @ragnarok013 advise? Do you still require assistance? Let us know how you are doing.

Cheers,

Archi

Archi.png
Message 7 of 17 (118,997 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Novice

My problem has been resolved. What happened was after simply reinstalling the latest Nvidia drivers as a clean installation (on top of rolling them back previously); I loaded the game and the problem persisted but after managing to manipulate my mouse to start playing a multiplayer game, the game continued to lag and behave oddly for a good few minutes and after that it settled and seemed to have fixed itself.

Message 8 of 17 (129,134 Views)

Thank you @DraconariusXVII for posting your solution here. Good to know you can play the game now. Let us know if there is anything else we can do for you.

Cheers,

Archi 

Archi.png
Message 9 of 17 (118,973 Views)

★★ Novice

This is not Nvidia drivers issue or anything but a bug in EA games mostly. 

To solve this issue you must do 2 things, if you do only 1 of them you will still have the issue.

1st:

You have to change your windows power plan from control panel to Maximum or Ultimate performance. (I use ultimate) 

This will stop Intel EIST and fix the CPU clock rate to maximum. 

If your EIST not enabled in BIOS you can skip this step

2nd: 

You must go to graphic options in the game causing the issue, and change the Ambient Occlusion SSAO 

Now you can enjoy playing without any issue. 

I know I'm a genius :D 

Message 10 of 17 (104,582 Views)