Re: Connection from South Africa to UAE servers - PS4

by EA_Leeuw

Original Post

Connection from South Africa to UAE servers - PS4

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I live in South Africa. Up to 2 weeks ago I used to play BF1 on PS4 on the UAE servers with a ping of 130ms. Then all of a sudden it changed to 230ms and now 275ms. I spoke to my ISP numerous times about this. No internet routing changed on their side. I know a guy personally working at my ISP and he confirmed it. Nothing changed my side. No extra devices and all those stuff on my side. Ethernet connection to my fibre router - my ping is still 180ms to the EU servers. So nothing changed on that end. I tried new cables, router, everything that can be checked/changed my side. Any idea what that might be? It's just not fun to play with a 180ms latency. 130ms is way better.

Message 1 of 7 (808 Views)

Community Manager
Hey @JannieLVictor,

Thanks for the post.

I can imagine it's not fun playing with this ping.

Nothing changed from our side either. It's possible that something outside of your ISPs control changed that is now causing you to have such a high ping to those servers, but this is unfortunately not something we can verify from our side.

Thanks.
EA_LeeuwAHQ
Message 2 of 7 (755 Views)

★★ Novice

Hi, thank you for the quick response on this. Then just this question regarding this problem. When I'm on my PS4 BF1 and in the server browser, and I sort my browser by ping, these UAE servers still pop-up on the top of my page. The EU servers, (Germany flag) are below these UAE servers. So of I join any UAE games, like I just did, it runs 275ms. If I join the EU(Germany) servers it runs the standard 180ms that I normally get. So it sees my connection to UAE servers as faster than the rest, but worst ping of the rest. Just doesn't make sense... Please advise.

Thank you so much.

Message 3 of 7 (734 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

Hey @JannieLVictor,

There are two different things you see in-game; in the server browser, you see the ping to the ping location of the game servers. But in-game, you see the actual ping to the game servers while you're playing on them. It's common that these are two different things. If you notice that there's a major difference between the server browser ping and the ping you see in-game, when you join one of those low ping server browser servers, it could mean that your ISP is experiencing issues connecting you to the actual game servers.

Another player has witted quite a helpful guide on how you can check this, you can find this here.

EA_LeeuwAHQ
Message 4 of 7 (715 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi. Im also from South Africa ping 180ms - 200ms. Is there no possibility to turn lenient latency on on the EA servers? That would def help a bit. 

Message 5 of 7 (324 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Battlefield 1

Message 6 of 7 (323 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I know there is an option to turn on lenient latency in game. But if you tyrn it on there is no servers. If that makes sense

Message 7 of 7 (314 Views)