Re: What a loss opportunity

by Reposter

Original Post

Accepted Solution

What a loss opportunity

★★★ Novice

This is in response to the An Update on Anthem Next from community manager EA_Cade.

It's a shame that the folks at EA/BioWare have decided to give up on Anthem.

In the day and age of Battle Royal and/or Looter/Shooter being a dime a dozen, you've honestly got an opportunity to corner the market with Anthem.

A Looter/Shooter where you can also fly around like a super hero?  I mean, come on!  The combat doesn't get much faster than a group of Javelins attacking from both the air and the ground alike.  Quickly going from air-based to ground-based and back to air-based at-will is just such an amazing and different feel to the genre' than anything else.

Instead of doing something different, you'll be investing your money and resources into doing something no different than you've done before; "the next Dragon Age, and Mass Effect titles".

I mean, that's a literal quote from your post.  How sad is that?

If a game like No Man's Sky can make a come back, there's no reason what-so-ever that EA/BioWare can't make Anthem an absolute masterpiece.

Myself and both my teenage sons were so psyched when we saw the initial intro for Anthem.  And yea, we were let down by the launch, as were many.  However, the amount of improvements since then haven't gone unnoticed, and all three of us enjoy it, and play together often!

We've tried our hands at so many other Looter/Shooters; The Division, The Division 2, Destiny, Destiny 2, Warframe, Remnant... Even the latest, Outriders... I mean the list is so horribly long, it just goes on and on...

But in Anthem, you're not stuck with ground-based combat.  You can freaking fly for cripes sake!  I mean, holy crap!  I'm almost 50 years old, and I'm FINALLY able to play a game that basically makes me feel like I'm on par with Iron Man from the comics I read growing up as a kid.

There's honestly no reason EA/BioWare can't make Anthem a success to break the mold, other than it's easier to make money doing the same old, safe thing, as simply releasing yet another Dragon Age and/or Mass Effect.

We don't jump onto the forums much for more than looking up information and gameplay hints, never really have.  When we're online, we're basically busy enjoying the small amount of time we have gaming together, what between work and school, and real-life stuff.  But I felt I had to at least voice my disappointment in the decision being made here.

I don't expect it, but I certainly hope that the decision makers either change their mind, or at least sell the Anthem IP to another developer/publisher.  Anthem has such potential to be a gem.  The right people just need to come along and chip off the sharp edges and shine it to perfection.

Message 1 of 13 (13,840 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★★★ Guide

I agree with @DukathLomakh that the look and feel of Anthem is awesome in a unique way, which continuously sparked hope for the potential in this franchise, despite all the problems it had from launch.

However, when changes in BioWare’s leadership were announced, the chances to realize this potential declined, which is a shame. Especially after the attempts to share some progress on a possible rework.

I don’t want to be bitter about this, it’s business. I just look back at the joy and fun I had exploring this prototype of what could have been a ground breaking video game. 

View in thread

Message 2 of 13 (13,796 Views)

All Replies

★★★★★ Guide

I agree with @DukathLomakh that the look and feel of Anthem is awesome in a unique way, which continuously sparked hope for the potential in this franchise, despite all the problems it had from launch.

However, when changes in BioWare’s leadership were announced, the chances to realize this potential declined, which is a shame. Especially after the attempts to share some progress on a possible rework.

I don’t want to be bitter about this, it’s business. I just look back at the joy and fun I had exploring this prototype of what could have been a ground breaking video game. 

Message 2 of 13 (13,797 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Bioware and EA are nothing but jokes to me. They basically ripped us off and don't give a * about it. I I'm not longer going to support their company. They don't deserve our support. I defended this game to so many people who said it'd fail. And for what? For the developers to take a * on our backs. But hey guy's let's just relax. Christian Dailey was so "strwessed and working from home was weal hard on us." Basically they couldn't find any way of earning more money from us to continue developing the game that they owed.

Message 3 of 13 (13,748 Views)

[ Edited ]

Don't know how much corporate fertilizer shoveling is going on in the following statement...BUT

EA released statements to some media or had an interview with one and basically said, they are backing off the multiplayer requirements for games and are going back to allowing studios to decide what to make.  EA said they are going to try to help studios produce games "that studios Devs want to make and that players are asking them for......"  or some such basically meaning the same..... 

So IF the above is true, and EA claims they rescinded the MP requirement for the next DragonAge, and IF they continue with this path, because of the failure of Anthem and the success of Star Wars Fallen Order, then while EXTREMELY sad and disappointed, I will be satisfied with the sacrifice if it means more games like Fallen Order and better single player games from Bioware.

Only time will tell how much sunshine they are blowing, but for now, I can hope and hold that maybe Anthem's loss may yet net a gain in other games.  One good sign is they are making/releasing new Skate game....not their recent trend of games...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 4 of 13 (13,564 Views)

@mcsupersport  Exactly, let their studios do what they do best. In bioware’s case, single player with emphasis on story. Jedi Fallen Order proves that those types of games still have a place in the market without the need of excessive monetization. Maybe with canceling anthem, EA finally got the message.....or not. Who knows with EA am I right? 😂 

Message 5 of 13 (13,433 Views)

★ Apprentice

It’s EA. They went from one of the most beloved companies to the sorriest laziest piece of crap company floating out here. The more we drink their kool aid, the worst they treat their fans and gip people. The key is to stop buying from them no matter how tempting it is. They have been on a horrible streak of terrible games and it’s not getting better.

Message 6 of 13 (9,915 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Pro

I still play other EA games like Star Wars Squadrons, Star Wars Squadrons is okay but could really use an Expansion or a Sequel.

With regards to Anthem, I personally did not really want  a total revamp of the game and am glad it did not happen. I just play Anthem once or twice a week now and there are still players around that are at Full or Near Full Gear Score level in GM3 Quickplay Missions or Strongholds. It still is fun although I do not play as often and am looking forward to other games that have caught my attention like Rebellion's Evil Genius 2.

I personally hope maybe some new Events or Strongholds get added in to finish off the Story that was started in the base game, at least give a Satisfactory ending.

Message 7 of 13 (9,763 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Star Wars Squadrons needs match balancing more than anything.

Message 8 of 13 (7,427 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@mcsupersport wrote:

Don't know how much corporate fertilizer shoveling is going on in the following statement...BUT

EA released statements to some media or had an interview with one and basically said, they are backing off the multiplayer requirements for games and are going back to allowing studios to decide what to make.  EA said they are going to try to help studios produce games "that studios Devs want to make and that players are asking them for......"  or some such basically meaning the same..... 

So IF the above is true, and EA claims they rescinded the MP requirement for the next DragonAge, and IF they continue with this path, because of the failure of Anthem and the success of Star Wars Fallen Order, then while EXTREMELY sad and disappointed, I will be satisfied with the sacrifice if it means more games like Fallen Order and better single player games from Bioware.

Only time will tell how much sunshine they are blowing, but for now, I can hope and hold that maybe Anthem's loss may yet net a gain in other games.  One good sign is they are making/releasing new Skate game....not their recent trend of games...

Too little, too late.  EA and BeAware can rot.

Message 9 of 13 (7,259 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Bring back Anthem. You all are being silly and your people need to know a good game when they see it. The other games, I rarely have even looked at. IF you all could improve this game and update it, it would soar. Whoever is deciding what games your community works on should get fired. If there is a group of them, which there is, then fire them all.

Message 10 of 13 (3,771 Views)