Re: Anthem uses 100% CPU until it freezes up completely.

by xapim

Original Post

★★ Novice

This is with Superfetch off, Vsync on and in fullscreen mode. 
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.. we all really appreciate it! 

Message 41 of 94 (1,870 Views)

★ Apprentice

Superfetch its sysmain now ms changed its name to it would be hard to find on 1809 anyway i have my windows fully optimized and also undervolted/repasted max temp i have on anthem is cpu 68 gupu 62 and have vsync off i5 7300HQ 1050ti overclocked to +200 core clock +250 memory clock as i said in my previous post i will test more when i have some free time and post the results if it still freezes after i changed the TS settings of still holds up

Message 42 of 94 (1,867 Views)

★ Apprentice

I have almost the same problem. Before the day one patch everything (FPS, loading ect) was fine. First two hours after the patch were fine, but after the game was over, I can not start any mission or free play, because my game freezes. Anthem froze in a mid-screen loading screen in - The Fortress of Dawn - and made my game unplayble. I'm downloading it now, I'm still redownloading Anthem. I'll try it with vsync on and fullscreen, but I' pretty sure it won't work.

Message 43 of 94 (1,853 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@SirGrubbz wrote:

Exact same issue as OP. Have reinstalled drivers, windows, Origin, Anthem. Ran on lowest settings (no change) OC'd my cpu. Still getting 100% cpu usage and still goes unresponsive during game-play for a few seconds. It's so frustrating, feels like all I can do is wait and hope now. 

Looks like the same thing I had. Does it also take 100% in loading screens and menus? Take a look at this workaround. It may work for you too.

Message 44 of 94 (1,785 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@CrimsonGambit71 wrote:

This is with Superfetch off, Vsync on and in fullscreen mode. 
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.. we all really appreciate it! 

Try Borderless + V-Sync on. Check this whole thing here, because changing the settings didn't work for me instantly.

Message 45 of 94 (1,784 Views)

★★★ Novice
I'm having this issue as well. Support had me run the usual dxdiag, msinfo, network tests, windows update tests, etc. Only started after that recent 2gb "Day One Patch" which leads me to believe it's a memory leak somewhere in that update. I've done everything I could from uninstalling/reinstalling the game, drivers, os, etc. Nothing works. Game worked 100% fine before the patch at ultra 1080 60fps, now I can't get more than 10 minutes of playtime before a crash. Ryzen 5 2600 OC'ed to 4.1, RX 580 8gb, 16gb ram.
Message 46 of 94 (1,765 Views)

★★★ Novice
Same issue. Before patch the game was playing with excellent fps around 80 (my gear is i5 3.2 8GB RAM and GTX 1080) on Ultra settings. After patch along with the stutters/freezes etc I noticed very high CPU usage around 98% and during firefights the game was unplayable. Also notice large page file around 14GB but I cant compare it with previous results since I had no issues. Also there are some significant drops in fps as well around 35 but it doesn't explain often short term freezes stutters during play. Reducing graphic settings to High somewhat helps to make the freezes less often but this has to be fixed since on beta I had no issues whatsoever.
Message 47 of 94 (1,668 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Another and final update: no more freezes here been playing for the last 2h non stop and i can even play fine on ultra on my Predator G3-572 i5 7300HQ 1050ti ---> 35 to 45 fps so my solution was simple just moved the game into one of the partitions of  my wd blue 3d nand 2tb m.2 so i suggest everyone to try the same move the game to your ssd or nvme if available and check it again and im playing full screen vsync off hope this helps someone with the same issues also forgot to mention the cpu @100% its normal on Anthem mine always used it on 100 this game requires more cpu than gpu and my temps are gpu 62 cpu 68 max no matter how much time i play

Message 48 of 94 (1,654 Views)

★★ Apprentice
If it's CPU utilization, I wouldn't point the finger at a memory leak. I would say has to do with thread management. I assume they have chunks of code set to work in parallel to utilize multi-core and multi-threading. If they botch thread management and have unnecessary processes generated to be consumed by multiple threads and continuing to generate new processes instead of reusing existing ones where able, then imagine a scenario like so:
//Pseudo Code
trackUserReputationProcess(0){
trackUserReputationActivities();
}

^^^ So, imagine this guy being a process that's always running, something that isn't frequent (firing your weapon, running, jumping, and flying are far more frequent than 'reputation gain or loss' events), so he can just kind of chill out as separate process that gets used when time is right. This is great IF you reference the process that you already have started....however if every time a reputation event occurs, it doesn't try to use the existing process, but create a new process and assign it to a new thread... take every reputation event that occurs, generate a new process, that then tries to assign itself to a thread. Eventually, you will have process > threads, which is still ok, because processors just context switch, that's just how they work.....trouble comes when you have so many processes that it's now consuming 100% CPU utilization while not actually delivering value in the code.

To use the prior example:
//Pseudo Code
if(reputationCheckedOrIncrementedInGame){
i++;
trackUserReputationProcess(i){
trackUserReputationActivities();
}
}

^^^^pseudo code to represent the idea, no one would be insane enough to do the above, but it should illustrate the idea of in game action potentially leading to a block of code that generates an additional process that isn't necessary to generate when a prior one could be used if it was already persisted, with a critical point being reached when # of processes are so great, it basically chokes out the processors resources, always giving it work, even when the work is nonsensical from a functional standpoint.
Message 49 of 94 (1,647 Views)

★ Newbie

I guess i am in the same boat as everyone. My freezes starting happening after they released the patch on the 20th. i am no technical expert but the game freezes for couple seconds every couple minutes in game i should have no problems running this game... even tried running it on low settings still freezes...

Message 50 of 94 (1,599 Views)