Re: Anthem is my favorite action RPG ever. There, I said it.

by ismart22

Original Post

Anthem is my favorite action RPG ever. There, I said it.

★★ Apprentice

Although I have a couple hundred hours in Anthem now, this is my first post on the forums. (Unfortunately, because I know how the Internet can be, it's unlikely I'll return to the forums anytime soon for fear of seeing major plot spoilers or negative comments. Ain't got time for you, lol.)

I picked this game up long after most of the hype and Internet wars and controversies. I bought it during a sale right in the midst of the "Anthem Next" investors' talks, although since then I've picked up some shard packs.  

A big realization hit me recently about those investors' talks: if there's one silver lining about development discontinuing, it's that I'm glad there was never an "Anthem Next". I get that this game had a bad launch (most games from major publishers do for the past 20 years). But none of the worst complaints I've read about this game seem to line up with the real, actual game that me and some friends have been playing. The game has a ton of content and customization, both in terms of my character and the types of activities and difficulties I might want to undertake on any given night, whether solo or teamed-up. It didn't need a whole dang makeover. I've gotten four of my buddies to pick it up over the last month. Anthem is a big, full game, but if you asked me what I wanted more of, I'd have said, such as with all "living" RPGs, additions of content over time, for example additional story arcs and character arcs, additional areas to explore beyond Bastion, additional gear types and possibly even additional javelin types. (And sure, continued balancing, maybe a nerf to colossus armor; as much as I love it, that javelin feels like the equivalent of a cheat code sometimes haha ngl though it's saved my butt a couple times.) 

Wow, I didn't set out typing this post to make a case or argument. More so, I just wanted to let any like-minded fans know they're not alone (in case they didn't already know that!). That includes any developers at BioWare who would've enjoyed continuing to work on Anthem: you're not alone! I love the gameplay, the story-telling, the diversity of characters and their evolution throughout the game, the universe, the graphics, it's a masterpiece of entertainment and science fiction. Definitely the most awe-inspiring game I've played on my RTX. It's like Warframe, Section 8, and Robota all got together and made a baby: the Iron Man game the world deserves but never got. I know that a very differently-toned conversation exists surrounding this game, but the only conversation I care about when it comes to entertainment is whether and how much I like it. You do you.

Message 1 of 17 (4,786 Views)

★★★ Guide
@Hannes-Erich I bought it a while back but haven't gotten around to playing it yet. The negative reviews and the thrashing it got when it was launched sort of built up an uncertainty towards it, but after reading this I'm getting that itch to try it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, mate!
Message 2 of 17 (4,722 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Very disappointing... I expected a new Destiny mixed with a mass effect, with its good sides and with a more attractive gameplay but I was far from reality...

Mini Militia App Lock

Message 3 of 17 (4,676 Views)

There's definitely potential in this game even now in it's abandoned state...also for all the negative chatter I've seen on the forums I'm surprised at how many new players I've seen in the game itself.

SD Signature Banner

Message 4 of 17 (4,651 Views)

★ Apprentice

Don't worry, you're not alone.  I STILL LOVE THIS GAME.  It's exciting, challenging, and beautiful.  The only thing it lacked was a sense of progress past "Epic".  I'm as far as I can go in terms of progression, but man I still love flying around looking for trouble.

Here's a stupid question: are there any decent Anthem guilds around?

Message 5 of 17 (4,552 Views)

★★★ Guide

I've gotten into it three times now (XBOX, PC).  But eventually the same-old grind wears thin and I move on.  Yes, the "gameplay" (flight, combo system) are great.  They did a fantastic job making each Javelin not only be unique, but actually feel that way (their sounds, movement).

OTOH, there's the lack of end-game variety, and the gearing progression is awful (after you're in mostly 80's).  And gun-play becomes a poor option.

So yeah, with continued support (new content, tweaking the rewards and balance), this could be great.

@SgtMalReynolds 

Captain, I'm not sure the AnthemEnclave is still around, but you might want to check them (and their Discord) out:

https://www.anthemenclave.com/about-us

Message 6 of 17 (4,541 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm actually slightly confused, as my OP literally disappeared from the forums (for me anyway), along with many other positive-themed threads, leaving mostly only posts about bugs and other problems. However it made its way back, I'm glad to see it. (Probably because I complained about it; those other threads are still gone.)

"They did a fantastic job making each Javelin not only be unique, but actually feel that way (their sounds, movement)." 

I agree with this so much! That's a big part of it for me I think. I also really enjoyed the story, and thought it was really cool how at the end of the day, being a Freelancer in the world of Anthem is more than just shooting at bad guys, it's about helping people. A lot of game studios (and probably gamers) seem to think being "the hero" just means being the one in the room capable of causing the most destruction, end of story. Says a lot about our times and culture, maybe (unfortunately). 

I'm going to give games a pass for not going on forever and ever and ever. Live services spoil us with the notion of never-ending content, but the fact is, every great story has a beginning, middle, and end. Having said that, though, Anthem's story was far from over and EA's treatment of the best new sci-fi IP I've seen in years is pretty much unforgiveable.

Message 7 of 17 (4,528 Views)

@Hannes-Erich wrote:

However it made its way back, I'm glad to see it. (Probably because I complained about it; those other threads are still gone.)

Yes, I saw your comment and went looking for it. Found it listed under recent activity on your Profile and my reply brought it to the top of the forum. Wink

SD Signature Banner

Message 8 of 17 (4,504 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I completely agree whole heartedly! This game touched me in a completely different way despite any expected bugs. I think with enough love like given to their other babies like Dragon Age and Mass Effect, they could have pulled this off. I too do not comment or post regularly but I am saddened as well as friends and family who all enjoyed this game, that it could not be given the same attention.  I continue to play Anthem on many different playthroughs and will continue to do so until servers are eventually closed.  However, i still have some hope that either the game will be revived down the line or that there is enough sense to sell the IP and let some other developer bring the joy back to our lives.

Message 9 of 17 (4,453 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Best gameplay by far and most beautiful graphics I have seen in a game. Absolutely love it and every now and then checking internet hoping for official EA / Bio announcements regarding Anthem. I hope reactions on Exoprimal will shake them into action as game is receiving lots of feedback while still being in production and while gameplay falls waaaaay short of Anthem that is 3 years old game. 

Sincerely I hope some1 is reading this and considering revving the game as I would defiantly support it with buying expansions.

#Ibelivein Anthem 

Message 10 of 17 (4,398 Views)