Re: An Update on Anthem Next

by Jagan_TTV

Original Post

★ Guide
@DaboTheDuck It is not EA's fault. The development team were incompetent. They had no clear end-game vision, spent years to trying to figure it out. Watch the videos about this on Youtube. Stop blaming the "whole EA" for this mess of a game.
It is Anthem 0.5 IMHO, never finished completely, after release they just tried to add some grind walls and add more grind to the game, that's it.
Biggest letdown of a game in my entire life I can say it honestly. Nothing I was waiting this much, nothing looked and felt like this game before...
It could be THE game. But now its just a pile of broken dreams. I'm not even daring to start the exe file anymore. Frown
Message 101 of 199 (2,160 Views)

★★★ Guide

If anyone really wanted it to become a better game they had to give it a chance and encourage people to try it, encourage people to see what it does right. 

This game had a massively successful negative campaign that refuses to take any ownership for the damage they inflicted keeping people away.

I’d see posts from people saying the game is on sale and asking if its worth checking out. A mob would tell them no stay away, its not worth $5.

Every week a new player comes along asking why the game was so hated. They say they stayed away due to the negative reviews, but they decided to finally try it and it’s really fun.

By contrast, the week leading up to The Division 2 release there were reminders spreading in the D2 community to remember there will be bugs, maybe big bugs, but stay supportive because they want D2 to thrive and get better and not be killed at launch by negativity.

In life, it’s always better to encourage the things you want to see thrive.

Message 102 of 199 (2,149 Views)

★★ Novice

It's not EA's fault? How? BioWare was known for good games, regardless of the hate they got. Mass Effect was a franchise known for excellent storytelling and making player choices matter. They managed to pull the same with Dragon Age. EA is well-known for similar but vastly different reasons - they're known for charging everything they possibly can for a game. I can deal with a micro-transaction setup. It's frustrating, but so long as those MTs are kept to cosmetics, I can deal. But what happened with Anthem wasn't BioWare's fault. The team worked on it for years, supposedly, but I find it concerning that I - someone who bought Anthem well before it was released for $80 - got shafted with the VIP weekend, followed immediately by the dearth of things to do in-game. Then I do some digging and discover that there'd been staffing problems because of people leaving. Either leaving the dev team, or being pulled to a new project. Pulling all but thirty-ish devs for Dragon Age and Mass Effect, then expecting those thirty-ish devs to somehow pull Anthem out of a hole it was being dragged into by a combination of EA-hate and just all around issues with Anthem?

The devs may not have had a clear end-game idea, but the original roadmap was very different. They had a plan.

As far as grinding, the 'grind wall', and the like that you bring up - that is EVERY live service experience ever. Destiny is especially known for this. As are games like World of Warcraft. If you insist on complaining about the grind, then why the hell did you play it in the first place? You liked the game, but now that the planned revamp was canceled you aren't even willing to launch what's there anymore?

You're not a Freelancer. You're a damn coward.

Message 103 of 199 (2,009 Views)

★★★ Newbie

The question is what is the best gaming studio for them give their IP to? 

Message 104 of 199 (1,921 Views)

★ Apprentice

This makes me sadly. The gameplay Anthem brought to the table was fresh, fun and fast. It was a great platform to spring off from and it could have been such a legendary IP. There were undoubtedly problems with the game, but that didnt detract from the fact that Anthem was fun to play. It just needed more! I hope this is a shelving because of Covid and not a forever goodbye.

Message 105 of 199 (1,888 Views)

★★★ Newbie

when will you start offering refunds for Anthem? You failed to deliver a promised product then lied about fixing it, and yet you don't allow refunds or any other compensation. Give us the money back!

Message 106 of 199 (1,812 Views)

★★★ Novice

As far as grinding, the 'grind wall', and the like that you bring up - that is EVERY live service experience ever. Destiny is especially known for this. As are games like World of Warcraft. If you insist on complaining about the grind, then why the hell did you play it in the first place? You liked the game, but now that the planned revamp was canceled you aren't even willing to launch what's there anymore?

You're not a Freelancer. You're a damn coward.

At least those games still have their servers. What does Anthem have …? Oh yeah zero longevity 

Message 107 of 199 (1,716 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Its dead Jim.

Message 108 of 199 (1,695 Views)

★★★ Newbie

That would be the best decision, if they wont update it again, the only revenue is from sales, I think this game deserves a second chance.

Message 109 of 199 (981 Views)

★ Guide

If it wasnt for forums all over the net telling potential buyers to stay away because "THEY" didnt like it and too not even try it for yourself then maybe it would have got the update but EA/BioWare could have released a timed demo of the game to encourage sales. Yes game site reviews didnt do it justice they too kept destroying it with there negative reviews I think it was based on what they showed and what the game had but the full price didnt do it well either EA should have sold this "concept" around £25 I think at launch to see where it would go asking £60 was a slap in the face

Message 110 of 199 (2,235 Views)