Re: An Update on Anthem Next

by cake404

Original Post

Re: Anthem Next now officially abandoned.

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

I dont know I dont think I agree, look at the amount of [CM - Edited profanity] for instance Cyberpunk had to put up with... it release arguably (at least on console) in a much worse state than Anthem... I mean, it was literally unplayable on PS4! And still is.. patch 1.2 is coming out next month and it will hopefully fix the console experience. And a lot of people are still giving them a lot of abuse, and I think this pushes them to deliver, we will see in 2-3 months where cyberpunk lands but for some reason I get a much better feeling that what I got with Anthem.

It is easy to blame the angry mob now, and I do agree that there were a lot of trolls in this forums, but there were also a lot of players who liked the game and were having a lot of problems, and were just trying to raise their voice in an effort to make EA listen. Problem is that it got to a point where the mere mention of something being wrong with the game was met with a lot of hostility.

I played Anthem since the Beta, back then there were a lot of problems that were of serious concern, a lot of people raised their concerns here saying there is no way that with so many problems the game is going to be ready in a few weeks, the game was a disaster, but yet, a lot of people (btw I dont see any of them in the forum... except for one or maybe two) were saying "its a beta, its supposed to have problems, what did you expect? thats what it is for, dont complaint so much, just wait for the final version and you will see).

Then the "final" version was released and it was absolute chaos, and then the same people were saying "it is a live service, what do you expect", and "there will be more content coming soon, just give it time"

Everyone I would see a post of someone saying that the game was in a horrible state and that they were having MM issues, or couldnt complete missions, etc they were sent immediately to the technical issues forum, it felt people were trying to move all the negativity to that forum, and it worked quite well, I mean, it is true the forum was full of trolls back then and it was all negativity so I can understand how frustrating it must have been back then for those players who were worried that all this negativity would have a negative effect on the game. 

In the end, most of the trolls left, players like myself who loved the game but were very dissapointed and did not accept the answer "it is a live game what do you expect" slowly moved to other games hoping to come back in a few months when new content would release... but I guess not many of us ever did, I tried the cataclism thingie for a bit, was nice but in my opinion nothing game changing, we had one more mission added, and that was it... 

But the whole, it is a live service thing still lingered... nobody was really complaining, very few people had negative criticism about the game so I simply didnt see this getting any better, so I took another break, but never came back.

I did keep myself informed, watched my athem videos and other channels in the hope of good news but no. In the end, the people who made the noise, the people who could have pushed EA to do different were gone, and all it was left were fans who were to nice to EA to make their voices heard. 

There has been so many false promises made by them, I mean, I think this decision was made a long time ago but obviously this is just my opinion.

Such a shame, had so many hopes for this franchise, but I had to move on, in the end, this is just a game.

Message 41 of 199 (1,836 Views)

Re: Anthem Next now officially abandoned.

Of course I'm very disappointed, I was still hopping but....Devil  I had a very good time playing Anthem, met fun players in coop and kept playing with them for a while. I was one of the lucky few (apparently) that didn't experience many bugs and my FPS never went under 100 so there isn't much of Anthem I don't like except the lack of content.

I want to thank all the devs that allowed me to fly (and keep flying from time to time) with my javelins and it's a pity they couldn't finish the revamp or new version.

I hope there will be in the future an Anthem like game....till then take care.....stronger together !

- Carpe diem and enjoy your game -

Just a normal gamer trying to help – not working for EA

Message 42 of 199 (1,813 Views)

Re: Anthem suggestions: Free-To-Play, modders, etc. #SaveAnthem

@Dawn_Commando   sounds good to me... my only problem with Anthem remains the lack of content so if everything was open to play I would fly more often.

- Carpe diem and enjoy your game -

Just a normal gamer trying to help – not working for EA

Message 43 of 199 (1,799 Views)

★★★ Guide

@EA_Cade wrote:

From the BioWare Blog, full message can be viewed here

Friends,

In the spirit of transparency and closure we wanted to share that we’ve made the difficult decision to stop our new development work on Anthem (aka Anthem NEXT). We will, however, continue to keep the Anthem live service running as it exists today.

Since Anthem’s launch, the team has been working hard to continually improve the game, releasing multiple updates that brought with them a variety of improvements and introduced new content to play. Towards the end of 2019 we expanded on that effort and started working on a more fundamental restructure of the game.

During the development we’ve provided updates revealing some of the team’s work through blog posts and conversations with you on social media and it’s been inspiring for us to see the positive reactions and feedback. I’ve been incredibly proud of the work the team has been doing, and excited to see and play each new build of the experience.

2020 was a year unlike any other however and while we continue to make progress against all our game projects at BioWare, working from home during the pandemic has had an impact on our productivity and not everything we had planned as a studio before COVID-19 can be accomplished without putting undue stress on our teams.

I know this will be disappointing to the community of Anthem players who have been excited to see the improvements we’ve been working on. It’s also disappointing for the team who were doing brilliant work. And for me personally, Anthem is what brought me to BioWare, and the last two years have been some of the most challenging and rewarding experiences of my career.

Game development is hard. Decisions like these are not easy. Moving forward, we need to laser focus our efforts as a studio and strengthen the next Dragon Age, and Mass Effect titles while continuing to provide quality updates to Star Wars: The Old Republic.

To the Anthem community, thank you for your passion and creativity. Your feedback and suggestions most certainly help shape the team’s direction, and on a personal note, your kindness and encouragement were much needed last year.

Please stay safe and be kind to each other. Strong alone, stronger together.

Christian

Translation: EA couldn't get more profit after the cost of the broken game we got when it released and now after a long time of nothing, they announce they are actually going to fix the product and then after the hype, then throw it away again.

All EA does is screw people over if they can't earn 50000000% profit from Micro-Transactions.....they shaft players over.

Message 44 of 199 (1,885 Views)

★★ Pro
@Silversurferguy Hehe oh my God now I remember you. Well yeah I guess in your mind you were right...you did say this game was dead almost two years ago. I like how you try to lecture everyone for getting screwed even though you constantly came here to hate on a game you also bought and played. Oh and I've mentioned here many times before I got the game for free with my graphics card so...yea. Oh well this is the first time I've been burned by Bioware and it will be the last.
Message 45 of 199 (1,873 Views)

@RoninJed  Deep down I wanted anthem to be better, to be the game I paid $80 for. Had EA continued supporting anthem I would’ve been happy to be wrong. But alas it wasn’t meant to be. Now you’re saying the same things I was saying; even arguing with the same person 😂

Message 46 of 199 (1,857 Views)

★★★ Guide

So long Anthem, had some fun. Maybe we will see you down the road sometime.

Message 47 of 199 (1,824 Views)

@cake404  No it doesn’t help. I’m against micro transactions in any way shape and form in games that people pay to acquire. If you have to include micro transactions to cover the initial cost of making the game in order to “mitigate risk” on top of charging money, then either your game sucks and not enough people will buy or you’re just greedy. Pick one or both. Like I said, if you want to pull these trashy practices, do it in a free to play game. When I pay for a game, I expect a full game and for it to function. That’s not entitlement. That’s just expecting to get what was paid for. Just look how well that model of yours worked for anthem. It’s dead now 👍

Message 48 of 199 (1,812 Views)

Champion (Retired)

The problem is that there is no objective way to ensure the game doesn’t “suck.” And when the internet decides that your game “sucks” what follows is irrational, disproportionate retaliation.

Look what happened to Andromeda. The internet decided it “sucked” because it had some issues at launch (which every software product has always had and is always going to have) and because you couldn’t punch a journalist with an Arabic sounding name so everyone declared it “SJW propaganda” or whatever. The entire game was declared trash. Didn’t matter that they fixed the launch issues within months. Didn’t matter how many aspects of the game were actually good. If it’s not 100% the way you want it it’s 100% trash and you want 100% full refund.

This mentality makes it non-viable to just sell games for upfront costs, because the internet can decide your game sucks at any random time, for any random reason, regardless of how much money and honest effort has been put into it. And the mentality of refusing to consider paying for microtransactions means there is no viable business model to have you as a customer that doesn’t leave the developers bankrupted in the long run.

So if EA ends up shutting down Bioware after the next Dragon Age or Mass Effect, don’t blame EA. Blame yourself and your pigheaded mentality. I’m done trying to get through to you.

Message 49 of 199 (1,807 Views)

@cake404  No viable business model without micro transactions? Just make a good game, finish it, sell it and be done with it. If they want more, make a sequel or DLC. Maybe that’s too advanced of a business concept in the gaming industry today. Oh well 🤷

Message 50 of 199 (1,797 Views)