Re: Why do you limit passwords to 16 characters?

by Thasm0

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Why do you limit passwords to 16 characters?

★★★ Newbie

For what possible reason would you set a maximum password length? Surely you're using a secure password hash which means it won't matter! I had a 17 character password I wanted to use. Sigh.

Message 1 of 18 (4,959 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Newbie

As the security conscious person that I am, I tried to update my password today. The DEFAULT length(32 characters) on my password generator caused the EA Accounts page to scream in horror about how BAD my password is.
So when EA is hacked, all credit cards leaked, and people sue them for incompetence, this is the 4 YEAR OLD POST that will be used as evidence.

View in thread

Message 7 of 18 (3,992 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

It's 2016 and I have the same question. why the hell can't I set 20 character long password? are u guys kidding me? are you storing these passwords in plain text? Or are you just 2000 years late like uplay? 

And for your devs http://xkcd.com/936/ 

Message 2 of 18 (4,890 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@srac12 Thanks for the relevant xkcd. Four words fit no?

On a serious note, I will pass on your feedback in regards to the character limit.

Cheers,

Nils

Message 3 of 18 (5,361 Views)

★★★ Newbie

It's 2017 now. Still limited to 16 characters. It's so bad from both a security point of view and a user friendliness point of view. This really has to be updated. 

Message 4 of 18 (4,787 Views)

Community Manager
Message 5 of 18 (4,777 Views)

★ Novice

It's 2018 now and you STILL limit the maximum characters for the password. This is RIDICULOUS.

Does that even mean EA stores the password in plaintext? WHY is there a limit of 16?

Increase the limit already! What year is it? 1992?

Message 6 of 18 (4,350 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Newbie

As the security conscious person that I am, I tried to update my password today. The DEFAULT length(32 characters) on my password generator caused the EA Accounts page to scream in horror about how BAD my password is.
So when EA is hacked, all credit cards leaked, and people sue them for incompetence, this is the 4 YEAR OLD POST that will be used as evidence.

Message 7 of 18 (3,993 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Newbie

2019 and still limited to 16 characters.
For now, there are 3 websites that tell me to cut my password, EA & Ubisoft (16 chars), and Paypal (20 chars)
Please, I prefer longer password than a mandatory 16 chars.

Message 8 of 18 (3,473 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

still the same.. i hate you EA

worst company in the gaming industry

"customer-friendly" is not a term you've ever considered apparently.

(btw. I just reset my password, because I couldn't remember it, because.. all passwords i'm using normally are ~20 characters long, sigh.. then I thought, if logging in to Origin is such a hassle for me, I would even login on the EA-website here and make a forum post about how bad it is)

Message 9 of 18 (3,293 Views)

Community Manager

Hey folks, thanks for letting us know how you feeling about the current password character limit. While, I'm not aware of any plans to changes that limit at this time, I can pass your feedback up. 

Lanna.png____________________________________________________________

*Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
*Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
*XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Please only DM me if I've asked you to, or in the case of highly sensitive content. General questions/issues/topics are best shared on the forum where others can take part/benefit from the responses/solutions/workarounds

Message 10 of 18 (3,281 Views)