EA customer service asking for my IP address

by houstonlizzie

Original Post

Accepted Solution

EA customer service asking for my IP address

★ Novice
I'm having some trouble with my account and I got i touch with customer service at EA. They asked me to share my IP address with them, along with other information. Is it normal for them to ask for an IP address? Why do they need it?
Message 1 of 4 (7,753 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: EA customer service asking for my IP address

Community Manager

@houstonlizzie Hey, thanks for flagging this to us.

I can see from your case that to proceed further your IP address is requested by our process, but we should have the appropriate info already. Perhaps there was an issue with the tool at the time, or perhaps there's a training issue and we will need to remind the agent where to find what they need, we'll look into it.

As for your IP address, usually this is used to determine if there are regional issues, if we get a bunch of contacts from the same area, this can help with tracking down problems faster. 

Thanks again, I hope this helps to clear things up.

David.png
Stay and Play.png

View in thread

Message 2 of 4 (8,208 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

@houstonlizzie Hey, thanks for flagging this to us.

I can see from your case that to proceed further your IP address is requested by our process, but we should have the appropriate info already. Perhaps there was an issue with the tool at the time, or perhaps there's a training issue and we will need to remind the agent where to find what they need, we'll look into it.

As for your IP address, usually this is used to determine if there are regional issues, if we get a bunch of contacts from the same area, this can help with tracking down problems faster. 

Thanks again, I hope this helps to clear things up.

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 2 of 4 (8,209 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hey David and the same matter come up. Maybe it should be good to check with your staff. it just feels weird giving your IP address on chat. Best 

Message 3 of 4 (2,666 Views)

Community Manager
Hi @amanof_1,

This thread is a bit of an oldie. We'll lock it here to limit necroposting but I've noted your feedback on the practice of IP address requests when verifying account ownership.

- EA_Lanna
Lanna.png____________________________________________________________

*Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
*Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
*XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Please only DM me if I've asked you to, or in the case of highly sensitive content. General questions/issues/topics are best shared on the forum where others can take part/benefit from the responses/solutions/workarounds

Message 4 of 4 (2,640 Views)