Re: Why we help

by MorningTimeCloud

Original Post

Why we help

[ Edited ]
Anonymous

Hi,

Of course each person has his own views on things but to start the thread I would like to share my point of view.

We help as we experience problems ourselves therefore knowing the frustation that might follow and/or have

a deep lying devotion to aid others. Solving a problem you have been facing for awhile is always rewarding. Imagine

how much frustration you could spare other people and how many smiling faces you create with a single solution. It

feels really good to see the thank you's and knowing people can play the game they love again.

One time I had a user that wanted to play Medal of Honor Allied Assault. He really wanted to play this game so much. The

solution was luckily found fast and the user could not be more happy as I understood from his posts. Because of this
and other info in his posts I whish I would have called him "Sir" as the thank you's were from the heart.

It was a very easy case but the reaction heart warming and emotionally rewarding. It made searching for the solution

worthwhile and even if it had taken more time it still would have been worth every single second.

Best regards,

inSmithereens

Message 1 of 10 (15,432 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

My story begins in 2003. Sims 2 was the game. I started heping out in a German forum since so many people where having difficulties and since many young Germans did not speak english that well, it was hard for them to find solutions to their problems - those were all in english.

Fast forward to 2009 - Sims 3 comes out. I go back to the same forum and start doing the same. I want people to be able to play their games but argh, so many issues, solutions still all in english. So I came up with the idea of a blog - my own place where I can put all the solutions the english speaking people have put in German. It was rewarding. Everyone was happy - the Helpers started linking my solutions and the people with issue had a go-to-place. It was very rewarding and my little project started to become bigger and bigger. I have now around 2000 visitors daily - twice or three times as much if something new is going on and I like to think that at least 10% of those find their issues solved without having to go elsewhere.

Fast forward to 2012 - Got an invitation to check out the new AnswerHQ which I did and never regretted. A place where I can help people and get some perks for it ? A place where I have go-to people I can actually communitcate with and get suggestions from ? So much better than having to figure out all by myself. 

So to make the long story short: Why do I help ? Simply cause it's rewarding. A thank you from someone cause they can now enjoy their game, even finding a thread solved without anything else is very good for self-esteem. It puts a smile on my face every time. You can say - I thrive on feedback.

Sometimes in busy times it can be exhausing too and people asking the same questions over and over can make you wanna quit. Helping can frustrate you but that's just the ups and downs of life. You do have to truely enjoy helping others since if you're here for other reasons, the frustration will take over in the long run.

Remember: Always be kind to people. If a thread makes you wanna post a rude answer, close it, take a step back and revisit later (or PM it to someone else to answer). People are frustrated and need to vent but in 99% if you offer a helping hand, they'll calm down and the matter can be discussed in more details (if they ever come back). Being rude just adds more fuel to the anger.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 10 (15,230 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

"Why do I help?"  Because I was (and am) a n00b too.  I started playing what might be considered "real" computer games with Roberta William's amazing King's Quest  series in the late '80s.  I've progressed to more complex, and more entertaining/engaging/immersive games as the industry (hardware and  software) has evolved over the past quarter-century, and enjoyed every step along the way!

Now I can assist players who are just starting on this path of truly fascinating story-telling/virtual reality, or those who are simply encountering roadblocks along the way.  I want others to be able to share in the experiences (surprising, joyful, humourous, exciting, terrifying, thought-provoking) that I have had.

That's why I help.

Message 3 of 10 (15,217 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Hello Everybody,

I Help, because i like when people have their smile on a faceStandard smile after you succeed. Everything started long time ago in June 21, 2005 year when bf2 was released. I saw how many bugs that time bf2 had and i understood that if you start somehow helping others by playing and finding all game bugs, you can somehow be part of the gameStandard smile I do this in many forums that's my hobby, and i love what i am doingStandard smile

Regards, Libever

Message 4 of 10 (15,198 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Hey guys

I can't really say why I started helping. I'd never really been on any gaming forum (whatsoever!) before in my life before I became involved with the Sims 3 a few years ago. I was having major issues with my game and I landed up here somehow where I got a very patient and helpful answer from Crinrict. After that, even though I knew absolutely nothing about the game's problems, solutions or anything technical, I just started to hang around. I saw Crinrict's blogs, and her solutions and began to figure out how things worked and what solved what. 

I really enjoy helping out because it helps someone else. It's rewarding when you get a response by someone who can now play the game they love. Personally, it's one of the best feelings in the world. Also, by helping others you learn a lot yourself. Not only actual information but lessons like patience, understanding and friendliness.

Andro

Message 5 of 10 (15,189 Views)

Hero (Retired)

To keep it short, I help because i know how annoying and frustrating it can be when your most favorite game isn't working for you. I try my best to help you get back in the game as quickly as possible so you can continue enjoying your desired game!

I started back in January helping, A few friends of mine are heroes here and always talked about AHQ and how awesome so i decided to give it a try. I haven't stopped helping since then. Its a really enjoyable thing for me to do in my free time. 

Message 6 of 10 (15,026 Views)

Hero (Retired)
Always been passionate about forums and communities, had a long history before Answers HQ, controlling different communities, helping in them - I've given to Answers HQ a try too... Helping someone is nice thing, it will get paid when someone says Thanks after you help them.

It's really enjoyable for me to help others. Confusedmileyhappy:
Message 7 of 10 (14,993 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Why do I help?

I help because I know what it's like to deal with something that isn't quite working, and having not a clue on how to fix it. I understand how frustrating it can be, and the amount of time it can take to get an answers. I feel very very bad when someone spends and loses money (Like accidentally buying a game or something similar) and I always feel great to help them get their money back, and get everything straightened out.

I love knowing that the person I helped can now use a product they worked to get, and that feeling is just amazing. It's always a great feeling to solve someones problem and have them thank you, and I'm hoping to continue feeling that joy for a very long time. :manvery-happy:

Message 8 of 10 (14,819 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Why I Help...

My story starts with one evil error.... BF4 has stopped working ..... I had a 8 month war with this error and it was a big war. But my hard work and smashing my head on my desk for 8 mouths paid off, nothing like a good PC error to make one learn even more on a PC.

I now understand this error and how to fix it if I can get the correct information from the person. So I came on AHQ to help others with it as I never wanted to see anyone have the war I had. It is a issue in windows most times or the video card driver and even a hardware conflict on the PC. And yes even one wrong setting and can make this error and it can hit any program on a PC. This error also made me learn a new format is not always a stable format. :womanvery-happy: So from the bad came the good and I enjoy helping people.

Message 9 of 10 (14,396 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

Why do I help?

Well, because I can.

Okay, more seriously though, the first community I belonged to was a group responsible for beta-testing patches for Original War (a pretty old RTS). I stayed in it for few years and since then I became interested in bug hunting. Naturally, bug hunting is closely tied to fixing bugs and thus helping people. It kind of became a habit. There are few things more satisfying than hunting a bug down and finding a way to bypass or fix it. Seeing people actualy enjoy their game instead of struggling with stupid bugs is fun too.

Also, why shouldn't I help people if I'm capable of it? I gain experience and satisfaction, people get help so that they can have fun with their games. Win-win situation.

---------------------------------------------------------------
If you think that someone's post helped you, feel free to press the 'Grant XP' button. If someone's instructions helped you solve your problem, please press 'Accept as Solution', so that other people with the same problem can easily find the solution in the future.

I am a volunteer moderator and I don't work for EA. All opinions expressed are my own.
Message 10 of 10 (14,328 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

all-ea-help-promo-2

Forgot your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help