Re: PSA: DDU

by holger1405

Original Post

PSA: DDU

[ Edited ]
Champion

I has come to my attention that some users maybe following guides online about DDU which lack effectiveness.

Guides that fail to mention disabling fast boot in the BIOS and disabling advanced installation settings in windows will leave remnants of the old GPU drivers.

I will leave a guide here if anyone wishes to reapproach using DDU:

• Download and extract DDU (download link is at the bottom.)
  • Then download the latest version of your GPU Driver from either Nvidia or AMD/Radeon
  • Press the win key and type “advanced system settings” and hit enter, select the Hardware tab then click “Device Installation Settings”.
  • Select no and save changes. (Re-enable this after installing GPU driver)
  • Open the menu to restart your PC and hold shift while clicking restart, a troubleshoot option will be made avaliable to you.
  • Once clicked go to: Advanced options > Startup settings > restart.
  • Now that you have restarted press F5 to select option 5 in the list. (safe mode with networking)
  • Open the DDU folder and run the DDU .exe.
  • Select the option’s relevant to your GPU and click “Clean and Restart”.
  • Once done install your GPU driver, re-enable your fast boot and device installation settings.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8OLhUAPDq0

Message 1 of 4 (3,610 Views)

[ Edited ]

@The_Tibber 

The_Tibber wrote:

I has come to my attention that some users maybe following guides online about DDU which lack effectiveness.

Guides that fail to mention disabling fast boot in the BIOS and disabling advanced installation settings in windows will leave remnants of the old GPU drivers.

I will leave a guide here if anyone wishes to reapproach using DDU:

• In your BIOS settings disable the “Fast boot” option and save. (you can re-enable this after the driver install)
  • Download and extract DDU (download link is at the bottom.)

Good old JayzTwoCents confused the BIOS option "Fast Boot" with the Windows option "Fast Startup" and you followed him on that.

What "Fast Boot" is doing is to skip certain Hardware checks so the system boots faster, it does nothing to prevent DDU from cleaning all driver remains and so it is completely pointless to disable it before using DDU.

Windows "Fast Startup" on the other hand doesn't need to be disabled because you need to safe boot the system anyway to use DDU in the right way.

The_Tibber wrote:

• Press the win key and type “advanced system settings” and hit enter, select the Hardware tab then click “Device Installation Settings”.
  • Select no and save changes. (Re-enable this after installing GPU driver)

It is far more secure to disable the Internet connection either by pulling the Plug or disabling WLAN.
People will forget to enable this option again, but they will not forget to enable the internet connection again. 
It is also not unheard of that Windows 10 just ignores this setting.

The_Tibber wrote:

• Open the menu to restart your PC and hold shift while clicking restart, a troubleshoot option will be made avaliable to you.
  • Once clicked go to: Advanced options > Startup settings > restart.
  • Now that you have restarted press F5 to select option 5 in the list. (safe mode with networking)
  • Open the DDU folder and run the DDU .exe.

DDU has his own build in function to safe boot the system and wile you should test safe boot before you use it in DDU, it is the approche that is recommended by Wagnard himself.
As you can see in the official
DDU Guide / Tutorial written by him.
https://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/ddu-guide-tutorial

I also wrote a pictured guide to be used on AHQ because the official guide left the step to enable the DDU safe boot option out.
https://crinrict.com/blog/2019/02/clean-re-install-of-graphics-drivers-with-display-driver-uninstall... 

All in all I would not recommand to write guides after YouTubers, no matter how many followers they have. Wink  
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 2 of 4 (3,593 Views)

Champion

Ahh I see, I wasn't aware of this guide since my download location is GURU 3D.

J2c Is in my feed and he pointed something out I and many other users have overlooked so yeah :P

Message 3 of 4 (3,583 Views)

@The_Tibber 

I would at least edit the "Fast Boot" part out of my posts, the rest is unnecessary and it is best to follow the official guide, but the fast boot advice is just plain wrong.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 4 of 4 (3,566 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

all-ea-help-promo-2

Forgot your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help