Re: K-Lite codec requirements? WHY? False Game Advertising

by crinrict

Original Post

K-Lite codec requirements? WHY? False Game Advertising

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

So today i tried to play Unravel and had the annoying issue of crashing on start up. I have not purchased the game but able to install via Origin Access. 

I only found the work around for this after some searching and I am confused as to why K-Lite Codec pack is a requirement to install to get the game to run without crashing.

Now the problem is that I cannot install it due to compatibility issues with my own custom codec pack that I manually put together myself because i know it works on top of which i have never trusted K-Lite after an issue they had a while back.

I would have bought the game but with the K-Lite codec pack as a requirement, I will have to pass.

Another note, it SHOULD be noted on the store page that additional software is required to install, without posting this information on the store page, it is classed as false advertisement.

Why is K-lite required for the game to run? why can you not fix this issue? do you even care about the issue?

Message 1 of 4 (1,026 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

It's not required.

It is required to be either updated or not installed. I'm guessing your own codec pack is causing a conflict.

Did you make sure that you have the newest version of all your codecs ?

Most people that have the K-Lite issue are using an outdated version of it and hence it's not working. Uninstalling or updating has solved the issue for those people.

Do you have any errors in your DxDiag to determine which codec might be causing an issue ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 4 (1,021 Views)

★★★★ Novice

All drivers and codecs are up to date and no errors in the DxDiag at all.

Message 3 of 4 (1,011 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

Then you might have a different issue.

Are you using Win 7 though ? Win 7 doesn't show any of the errors in the DxDiag.

Did you try a clean boot ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 4 (1,003 Views)