Re: Will faster Internet improve my PVP game?

by kuros456

Original Post

Will faster Internet improve my PVP game?

★★★ Newbie
I'm moving in a few weeks, and I'm thinking about upgrading my Internet. I currently have Verizon DSL which isn't very fast. Does someone with faster internet have an advantage over someone with slower internet in PVP? I'm actually asking this about any game in general, not just Titanfall. I've tried doing some research and I keep finding conflicting information, so I'm hoping someone can finally resolve this.

Is it true that increasing download speed beyond 4mbps and upload beyond 2mbps will not improve gameplay further? Or is it the faster, the better?

Also, I currently use a wireless router which is about 10 years old. Should I upgrade this as well? Or if I get new internet, should I just connect the modem straight to my console?
Message 1 of 5 (320 Views)

Community Manager

We need to differentiate between a fast connection and a high quality connection.

A quality 2Mb connection and connecting directly with a cable will always be better than a poor 10Mb connection via Wi-Fi.

Try just connecting with a cable, you may be surprised.

barry.png
Message 2 of 5 (319 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thanks for the reply, but I'm still a bit confused.  If I get a wired connection, will upgrading my internet to something like Fios give me an advantage in PVP games?

Currently I have a Download speed of .99mbps, an upload of .38 mbps and ping of 65ms.

The base package for Fios gives 25 dl/25 up.  This is the one I was thinking of going with, but would getting even faster than this give me any kind of advantage?

Message 3 of 5 (316 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Or does the Xbox only use whats necessary (say, 5mbps) and anything beyond that is just extra bandwidth? 

Message 4 of 5 (315 Views)

★ Novice

Extra bandwidth is not going to help necessarily. If you have sufficient connection and no one else is using it while you play you are likely just as good using your existing connection.

Having extra bandwidth is usefull if you have more than one device using the connection at the same time.

What you want for online gaming is low latency connection. Wireless connection by default adds more latency so using ethernet cable is likely to improve your latency.

Same goes for the actual broadband connection. Wireless connection are very high latency connections by default in most regions and having cable or adsl with fast path profile is very good upgrade to cut latency.

If you just have long distance to the servers and no wireless connection or interleaved connections in between there is pretty much nothing you can do except to move closer to the data center.

I don't know the exact requirements for titanfall but I would imagine it needs around 2-4Mbit download and 0,5-1Mbit upload for proper connection.

Having extra bandwidth is not a bad thing but having tons of extra bandwidth is not going to improve your gaming experience. Better quality connection can improve it quite a bit tho.

Message 5 of 5 (291 Views)