Titanfall refuses to use Nvidia card?

by LRV1987

Original Post

Titanfall refuses to use Nvidia card?

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Hey! I was wondering if anyone found a solution for this:

I loaded Titanfall to find that I was getting very low FPS (7 fps) and severe screen tearing, making the game unplayable on the lowest settings.

After struggling with this for several hours, I have determined that the game is refusing to use my Nvidia 675MX, and is instead defaulting to the integrated Intel 4000. Changing settings in Nvidia control panel to force titanfall to use the high performance nvidia processor does nothing. 

It looks like Origin might be the problem. It seems to lack a Nvidia profile, and starts the game using the integrated card. I am on the latest drivers, and have attempted a clean reinstall so I doubt that it is a driver issue.

EA Support has been no help, and technical support has not contacted me back, even though I was told that I would be hearing from them today.

I'm pretty upset that I paid $90 for this, and am not getting any help or updates from EA.

Has anyone else encountered the same problem?

My Specs:

Windows 7 x64

Intel i7-3630QM 

16GB RAM

Nvidia GTX 675MX - Newest drivers

My Case Number with dxdiag and related info:

Related Threads:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/690289/pc-games/dedicated-nvidia-card-vs-integrated-graphic...

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/706080/titanfall-laptop-680m-graphics-issue/

http://www.reddit.com/r/titanfall/comments/207bmy/titanfall_not_using_nvidia_card/

Message 1 of 32 (3,759 Views)

Re: Titanfall refuses to use Nvidia card?

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

If you have a Geforce Optimus, you can blame nVIDIA and curse at the graphics engineeers responsible for their drivers.  Go into nVIDIA control Panel to set everything to max, and to specifically target the game to use the Geforce.  If you are lucky, and the stars are aligned favorably, it might sort things for you. 

All manner of games from numerous developers have the same startup, 2D for the first few screens, then a switch to 3D.  Occasionally, even some Radeon powered laptops can't make that change, but primarily, for three years now, it's these silly neutered model GPUs of nVIDIA's that fail to switch. 

Message 2 of 32 (3,729 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Did you add Titanfall.exe to the list in the nvidia control panel?

Message 3 of 32 (3,725 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Yep, I already did that. I have manually set it to run with the Nvidia card, and have also tried right-clicking on the exe itself and selecting run with high performance nvidia processor.

This has had no effect.

I think Origin is forcing the game to use the integrated card. Steam has a profile in the nvidia control panel, which we can set to run with the nvidia card. Origin, however, does not.

(Thanks for trying guys! It's ridiculous that we should have to rely on the community for these problems. EA support, Respawn, and Nvidia have all been no help o those of us affected.)

EDIT: I just want to be clear that this problem is ONLY with Titanfall. Every other game I run is able to use the Nvidia card just fine. Thus, this leads me to suspect that the problem lies with Titanfall and/or Origin

Message 4 of 32 (3,722 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

The Optimus series have been giving game players fits for two years, perhaps three.  Neither EA nor Respawn are alone (see also most games from Bethesda Softworks, like Elder Scrolls and Fallout) in having nVIDIA choose whether or not to sell a device that in many cases proves to be unusable in a particular game.

Message 5 of 32 (3,709 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

What I don't understand is why manually setting the titanfall exe to run with the nvidia card is not working. 

This works in every single other game or program I have tried. Titanfall is my only Origin game.

Do you not think something could be wrong with origin?

Thanks for helping!

(From a post on the Nvidia forums)

I have the same exact issue with Titanfall. If you select "start with nvidia gpu", it doesn't work. You can't change the graphics processor on origin. If you add the program and put it as the nvidia gpu it still holds the integrated setting as it opens through origin. It's very annoying.

Message 6 of 32 (3,704 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@Irv1987 I am having the excact same issue as well as my step daughter on her comp. So far the only response i have got is the same they gave you " Blame Nvidia". When in fact no other game I own has ever given me this problem including Battlefield 4. I have tried all the same things as you to force it to recognize my Nvidia card and not the integrated unit. but no luck. All I can do is keep my fingers crossed that they fix this soon or I will just see about getting a refund. Which I really do not wan to do because the game looks like alot of fun. 

Message 7 of 32 (3,676 Views)

★★ Novice

Yeah, I was looking forward to this too, but if no one bothers to get back to me, I will also be demanding a refund. I have sought help from EA, Respawn, and Nvidia, with no success.

I am pretty sure this is an EA client problem. As you have said, no other game or program I have ever used has encountered a similar problem with using the Nvidia card.

Message 8 of 32 (3,665 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Exact same issues with my GTX 660m/HD4000. Ive been trying everything i can to make this game playable since the game launched.

Message 9 of 32 (3,655 Views)

★★ Novice

EA technical support is supposed to get back to me, but they have not done so yet. If they do work out a solution, I will be sure to post it here.

I have a feeling this is gonna end up getting returned though.

Message 10 of 32 (3,647 Views)