Titanfall crashes my computer

by atomiku93

Original Post

Titanfall crashes my computer

★ Novice

So I preloaded Titanfall on my computer, and started playing it tonight, and the problems set in about an hour into play. From there the problems only became more and more frequent, until simply launching the game would cause a computer crash.

My Specs:

i7-950 @stock clock speeds

12GB RAM

GTX 660 2GB Superclocked (EVGA)

Asrock x58 Extreme MoBo

Sandisk 128GB SSD Boot Drive

Seagate Barracuda 1TB Data/Programs Drive

It seems that when playing, I will occasionally get a computer crash, and it's not a normal BSOD, my screen will just turn gray/white and freeze, and I will have to restart. Unfortunately, this leads to no chance for it to dump any error logs that I can find. Since it's not just the Titanfall app crashing, and I'm not getting a normal BSOD, I was initially thinking my GFX card may be seeing the end of it's days (3 year warranty, so I should be covered, it's about a year old, and I've never OCed or anything along those lines), but I thought it odd that this would start right when Titanfall landed, so I checked, and sure enough there was a driver update, and I installed that, but the problems persisted. 

I ran Afterburner (monitoring on my G13 screen) and the next time Titanfall crashed it was sitting at 56 degrees Celcius, so certainly not a temp problem (It never goes above 70 degrees, even with it's stock cooler, and I've never had temp problems before). So this seemed odd to me, I set all settings as low as possible, temps were slightly better but crashing persists. I thought that maybe it truly was just my GFX card, but then I decided to do a final test, I played Far Cry 3, all settings High, at 1080p, temps reached at max 66 degrees Celcius, and it didn't run into any problems after maybe about an hour of gameplay.

So, I've not totally given up on any potential issue, or the possibility of multiple issues, but I'd like some input. Does it sound like my card is bad? Is it just an issue with my drivers and Titanfall? Could it be both? Is anyone else having issues like this? From what I got to play, I loved the game, and can't wait to get back into it, but I don't want to go through the trouble of RMAing my card if an update will solve the problem, and I don't want to sit here with the game constanty crashing if all I need to do is get a new card.

P.S. No I don't have onboard graphics or another graphics card to test with, this was my first computer build so what I have is what I have.

Message 1 of 6 (3,424 Views)

Re: Titanfall crashes my computer

Community Manager

Hey, I suspect this is card-related, like you mention, but before confirming this one thing you can try is a complete driver reinstall. I had a similar issue a few years back, with crashes persisting through updates until I did a fresh reinstall.

It's also worth checking for any corruption to the Titanfall client, right click on the game and choose the repair option.

Also, just to throw a wild guess in the mix, try updating your audio drivers, if an update is available. They can sometimes be the culprit in crashes, and are frequently overlooked when troubleshooting.

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 2 of 6 (3,358 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Okay, I'll go ahead and give those things a try, but I also decided to try something else as well. I understand that Furmark is an excellent way to stress test a graphics card, so I decided to give that a try. Less than 30 Seconds into a 1080p test, the entire computer shut down. It didn't even grey (or blue) screen, just straight to shut down. This concerned me, so I pulled out some components and gave it quick look over, everything seemed to be fine (no smoke or scorch marks) and I ran a post test on my motherboard (no graphics card plugged in) and it showed a good post, so I booted it back up and everything seems fine.

After some research into this, this seems to indicate that it may be a Power supply issue (hence the sudden shutdown when drawing too much power) and that could also be causing my graphics card to fail, as it draws from a 6-pin as well, I could see a sudden lack of sufficient power leading it to crash. As for now, my computer is functioning under normal use, and I've put gaming on hold. After some driver updates and a "repair" of the titanfall install, I might give it another try, but for obvious reasons I'd rather not continually crash my computer. My cpu/mobo/ram is not exactly new.

I'm kind of hoping that this is a psu issue, first of all, because it's within warranty (and it's a corsair unit, certainly should not be a problem getting it replaced) and also because I was planning on upgrading to a kilowatt psu in a couple weeks, in anticipation of my next upgrade (going for 800 series cards when they are released). 

If you have any insight on the possibility of a psu issue, I'd love to hear it.

Edit: Because I forgot to state it in the beginning, I have a Corsair CX600M psu, which is a modular 600 Watt power supply. According to PCPartPicker that should be about 200 watts of overhead with my current setup, but I'm also not sure how accurate they are.

Message 3 of 6 (3,299 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I've got an EVGA 660 that is doing this same white/grey screen hard crash. I did the game repair and driver reinstall in addition to mem test, disc check, reseating everything, underclocking the GPU, and increasing GPU fan speed. I can't think of anything else to try. Please reply here if you find a fix.

Message 4 of 6 (3,157 Views)

★ Novice

Well, I'll say this much, I've done all the driver updates, repaired the install, and now things seem to be working, I haven't gone all out yet, but I can play at medium settings at 1080p and haven't gray screened yet, wish I could say more to help you man.

Message 5 of 6 (3,145 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have this same problem with my GTX660 3Gb

Message 6 of 6 (1,270 Views)