ERROR 401 BYTEVAULT_AUTHENTICATION_REQUIRED

by ettiave

Original Post

Re: ERROR 401 BYTEVAULT_AUTHENTICATION_REQUIRED

★★★ Newbie

Am I the only one around here who still has this problem?

I bought it just 2 days ago at a store (MediaMarkt), installed, clicked "Play" and got this error.

I only have 2 games on my account (Alice Madness Returns and now Titanfall).

How is that even possible that I pay 60€ and get NOTHING!?

Message 61 of 89 (1,075 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Happened to me today, I bought titanfall on origin while on sale through paypal. I'm gonna repair it and see if that makes a difference, then contact EA.

I'm not happy about this, I was playing earlier today too.

EDIT:

Seems to work fine after being repaired. Not sure what happened here.

Message 62 of 89 (1,043 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Yeah, hi everyone. Sorry for bumping this old thread. So the funny story is that after all this time EA did not bother to contact me after several mails I've sent to accountdisputes (besides the automated "we will look into it"). I have been told (here and EA help chat) that I was banned for "some" reason and that was why I was getting the bytevault error and had to contact account disputes. I bought the game day one at full price, and did not get to play the game AT ALL, because the first time I logged in and clicked play I got the bytevault 401 error. I got banned for absolutely zero reason since I did not even access the game nor did I use any form of third party software or any cheating etc. EA was not even bothered to inform me why I was locked out of the game, which has probably got to do to with the previous sentence. I can, however, access my SWtOR game via origin without issues.  

Just my last try today to get a full refund so I can spend it on Draogn Age instead. Obviously no one sane would pay anything ever again if they went through something like this. I wish I had the time and money for a lawyer to deal with this as obviously what EA has done (grabbing the money,  not giving the product and not contacting the customer EVER) is against the law. 

I am seeking an official who can relay my issues to their higher ups as this is a special case since I was not answered for 7 months after my purchase.  I obviously dont want the issue to be just fixed as it has been 7 months since my purchase and is currently worth 10% of the price that I paid. I want a full refund or atleast points for a purchasing a new game.

Message 63 of 89 (973 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

So contacted support chat for the 4th or 5th time. As usual they said "This is support team and we can't help you please contact account disputes. Any further questions?". I told them them that account disputes has not replied in 7 months and I need some other way. Answer? Please contact account disputes.   What a joke.

Message 64 of 89 (971 Views)

★ Apprentice

I'll add my two cent's worth.

ON New Years Eve I received an e-mail informing me that I had purchased FIFA 2015.  Given that I had not in fact done this I immediately contacted Customer support on the website and told them I believed my account had been hacked.  I then changed my passwords, removed all stored credit card details and asked that the sale be cancelled and a refund given.  I received a form letter from easupport giving me a case number and telling me that they would contact me.  A week and a half later I got another e-mail informing me that my account was banned and I am now unable to play ANY Origin game, lthough still apparently able to buy games which I will not be able to play. 

I find it very interesting that the first response in this case is an assumption of guilt in violation of some fairly basic legal principles. Especially given that I immediately contacted them and made them aware that there was a problem.  I have a sneaking suspicion that if I had just quietly changed my login details and removed access to my cards they would have been unable to bill for the FIFA 15 game and the whole thing would have just gone away.  I'll note that I have been monitoring that card and I have not been billed for the game. 

Obviously, I have contacted the dispute line and provided them with copies of all of these e-mails.  I haven't heard anything from them yet.  Reading this I suspect that I should get myself a few good books because it may be a long wait. 

Message 65 of 89 (882 Views)

★ Novice

I am in the same boat. I got the FIFA 2015 purchase and subseqent emails will try and follow up and get this sorted out. Sounds like they were hacked.

Message 66 of 89 (869 Views)

★ Apprentice

Well, five days later and four days since they sent me the form e-mail saying they would get back to me in 72 hours.  They compound their abysmal customer service in banning people for no reason with the further insult of making us wait days before having the issue resolved.  This really is the company they trained wrong as a joke. 

Message 67 of 89 (867 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Just wanted to add "SAME HERE".  Someone tried to buy FIFA 2015 on Origin and Amex denied the purchase (since it was in New Taiwan Dollars).  Aparently EA thinks that because a chage was denied that I can't play my games anymore and should be auto banned.  This is absoultly dumb.  This appears to have been happening for almost a year now.

Password reset and enabled the two-factor (which EA has never mentioned that they added this or that it existed in the first place).  Will post back if I ever get this fixed

Message 68 of 89 (849 Views)

★ Apprentice

Still nothing back from the dispute line.  I guess they have a different idea of what constitutes 72 hours to the rest of us.  They're working on EA Time.  I wonder if they save money by paying their employees for working EA Hours as well. 

Message 69 of 89 (844 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Just to add to this growing list, I'll first start off by stating that I don't normally take the time to post my issues, but this has been an incredibly frustrating situation.

On January 14th, I woke up to 4 emails from Origin thanking me for my purchase. Reviewing the emails, I had apparently purchased two copies of Assassins Creed Unity, and two copies of Far Cry 4. Reviewing reddit and other social media, I find that this has happened to others over the last couple of weeks and people were sighting a security breach in EA where account data was stolen. I changed my password and enabled two factor authentication immediately. I then contacted EA support via chat and explained the situation. While chatting with the rep, our session disconnected. I got another rep and started all over. I was told that I would be refunded for all 4 purchases. Moments after my chat ended, I received an email stating the case was closed. Fast forward to last night, January 18, where I jump online with some friends. Time to play some Titanfall!!! Nope, not so much. Now I'm getting the 401 error. After further review, I see that my account is likely banned. I run the repair just to see if that works. Negative. I login to try chat again, but based on the message I'm routed to a support area where they must call me back. I log a case and am called 4hrs later. The gentleman I spoke with asked me some validation questions to make sure I am the account holder, and then lifted the ban. Great! Lets test.......launch Titanfall.......same message. The rep tells me that everything has been done on the Origin side and I now need to contact Respawn because they have banned me on their end. Now, I'm sorry, but you're telling me that _your_ security efforts failed and _my_ account information was copromised. I immediately report this to you and you ban _me_ without notice, and I have to clean up your mistake?! 

Also to note, I've just looked at my purchase history and it shows that my refunds have failed. Looks as if I will be contacting EA yet again to help them clean up this mess. It's almost as bad as dealing with BP oil after the huge oil spill.....shoulder shrugs all around!

Message 70 of 89 (830 Views)