Betreff: Data server ping very low; ingame ping very high

by BestManagerA

Original Post

Data server ping very low; ingame ping very high

★★★★ Novice

I'm finding, that whilst the Western Data server ping is very low (usually around 25ms), ingame ping is usually over 100, making play rather laggy.

I presume that the game and data server should be in the same country - if not, is it possible to force the game to use the same country for both ?

Message 1 of 10 (397 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

@BestManagerA I guess you are playing on PC? Could you please give us a more specific number about your ping delay, 100 is still in "okayish" while 150 as an example can cause rubber-banding. Is Titanfall added to the exception list of your firewall or have you any kind of VPN, proxy or P2P software running in the background? Please keep in mind that wireless as well as D-LAN connections can also cause a delay in your connection.

Cheers

Basti 

Message 2 of 10 (381 Views)

★★★★ Novice

It is usually around 147 - sometimes it starts at 100 and gradually increases throughout the game.

I dont run any other internet-based program whilst playing online games, and dont use any VPN or proxy either.

I have an 80Gb Fibre internet connection, wired (and not wireless).

Message 3 of 10 (377 Views)

★★★★ Novice

In contrast, Battlefield 4 connection to a German server (with 8x8) results in a ping of 24...

Message 4 of 10 (376 Views)

@BestManagerA are you the only one using your network or are other people living at your place which share your connection? It is still weird tho, maybe a so called "UO trace" can help to find the connection bottleneck. UO Trace is an EA software which helps to identify network issues by trace-routing your connection: http://help.ea.com/en/article/ping-traceroute-and-uo-trace/

You can send me the trace data results from UO Trace just as a private message here in Answer HQ.

Cheers

Basti

Message 5 of 10 (371 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Will do shortly

Message 6 of 10 (362 Views)

@BestManagerA thanks for providing the trace data, I will go through the data and your explanation with an expert and come back to you as soon as I have some insight.

Cheers

Basti

Message 7 of 10 (355 Views)

★★★★ Novice

One thing I did get wrong, is that the Titanfall server may be that used, although the results are similar.

Message 8 of 10 (346 Views)

@BestManagerA okay we have checked your trace-route. It is in fact weird that you get routed from UK over San Francisco which totally explains the high ping. The question is, why does the game directs you to the US West dataserver instead to the EU West one. Have you tried to connect to the EU North server and are you in any kind of company or university network?

Cheers

basti

Message 9 of 10 (336 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I did try a US a few times, but the response time isn't good.

It is a normal home network.  The internet connection is 80Mb/20Mb

Message 10 of 10 (326 Views)