The Sims Medieval makes my computer crash

by barondespireal

Original Post

Accepted Solution

The Sims Medieval makes my computer crash

★★★ Novice

So, I can't even play the game. After the startup cutscene, I can see the start menu for a split second before my computer abruptly shuts down completely, then restarts on his own.

It pretty much looks like an overheating issue (My specs are high, not state-of-the-art-high but maybe too high for the game) and I can't find a way to modify settings (I tried manually opening the launcher but it asks me to re-install the game).

For information, this is the Origin Version, and It was the first time I installed the game on my system.

Thanks in advance for your help !

Message 1 of 8 (2,713 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: The Sims Medieval makes my computer crash

★★★ Novice

So I finally managed to launch and play the game. All I did is reinstalling the game, shut down some useless programs and launching the game.

As I can clearly hear "cool whine", especially in the menus,  it had indeed something to do with overheating, as the game tries to run the Sims too fast. The game had a pop-up explaining it doesn't recognize my graphics card, which can also explain the issue. I maxed out the graphics options and it got better.

I have yet to know what exactly caused the problem to stop (my guess in on the DVR option of the Xbox app for Windows 10), but at least I can play now !

View in thread

Message 7 of 8 (2,946 Views)

All Replies

EA app Team

Hi @barondespireal,

Thanks for all those details. Could you please give us also technical information about your computer? A dxdiag would be very helpful. You can find instructions on how to get a dxdiag here, and you can attach it to your answer.

Thanks,

Mai

Message 2 of 8 (2,700 Views)

★★★ Novice

Sure, I attached the file to this message.

Message 3 of 8 (2,695 Views)

EA app Team

Hi @barondespireal,

I can see various programs that seem to be giving you issues in your dxdiag, are you having this issue when playing other games?

Please, perform a clean boot of your Windows and try the game there. Do you still have the issue?

-Mai

Message 4 of 8 (2,688 Views)

★★★ Novice

I play a lot of games, old and recent, and the only other game having the same issue was The Secret World.

I'm gonna try further troubleshooting and I will come back to you if I have any updates.

Message 5 of 8 (2,682 Views)

EA app Team

Ok, @barondespireal, that would be great. We will be here if you have any questions Wink

Message 6 of 8 (2,670 Views)

★★★ Novice

So I finally managed to launch and play the game. All I did is reinstalling the game, shut down some useless programs and launching the game.

As I can clearly hear "cool whine", especially in the menus,  it had indeed something to do with overheating, as the game tries to run the Sims too fast. The game had a pop-up explaining it doesn't recognize my graphics card, which can also explain the issue. I maxed out the graphics options and it got better.

I have yet to know what exactly caused the problem to stop (my guess in on the DVR option of the Xbox app for Windows 10), but at least I can play now !

Message 7 of 8 (2,947 Views)

EA app Team

Glad to read that @barondespireal! :eahigh_file:

I hope you are enjoying the game, thanks for coming back to tell us how you solved it, someone in the future might find that information useful! Wink

-Mai

Message 8 of 8 (2,648 Views)