[CURRENT ISSUE]Sims 3 'Unknown Error' in El Capitan and later OS versions

by Bluebellflora

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[CURRENT ISSUE]Sims 3 'Unknown Error' in El Capitan and later OS versions

[ Edited ]

The Unknown Error message is now affecting a huge amount of Mac users who are trying to play Sims 3. This error has always been around and can be caused by a variety of different issues but recently it seems to be linked to users running macOS Sierra and El Capitan and the Late Night, Ambitions, Fast Lane and Outdoor Living Packs. Please read @corey_0414's accepted solution below for a workaround for this issue. They have also posted a very helpful video which I have linked below:

If you have just the base game installed and are trying to install just one add-on packs please read @ZaftigGal's post here for clear instructions.

@EA_Kristi recommends setting up a new administrator user account on your Mac and installing the packs using that account as an alternative solution that can sometimes solve the issue.

- If you have downloaded the game through Origin you should not need to use Origin to play, launch the game from within your Applications folder. This is only applicable to the Mac version of the game.

- If you encounter a message stating that the game is a more recent version than expected just ignore it and carry on installing. This is because the installer is expecting a lower patch level than 1.67.

- If you are having issues with Packs not showing as installed in the Launcher please read the guide here on solving the issue.

Please bear in mind that the game is not compatible on most post-2013 Macs due to unsupported Intel/AMD graphics resulting in an Unknown Error message for just the base game. You can check whether your Mac is listed in the stickied thread here - http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/CURRENT-ISSUE-The-Sims-3-Issues-playing-on-newer-post-2013-Mac... However, applying this workaround for the Unknown Error issue as well as editing the .sgr files may make the game playable.

If none of the above suggestions work please post with the details of your Mac, including the version of macOS you are running, which EPs/SPs work/don't work and what steps you have taken to resolve the issue.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 16 of 532 (216,584 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Mac: Error with sims 3 "Unknown Error Occurred" (after installing)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Hello, I have been experiencing the same issue you have for days for the same exact game so I can understand how frustrated you are. Luckily, I just found the solution. Bear with me, it might be kind of confusing but i'm going to try and explain this to you as easy as possible. Go to Applications > Sims 3> right click on Sims 3 and hit show package contents. Within Show package contents,  Go to contents> Resources> Add ons. All of your installed expansion packs should show, even the ones not working. Right click under the ones not working for you (So late night or ambitions) Within THAT folder, I want you to right click on Late night/ambitions and again right click and go to Show Package Contents. This time, I want you to go to Content> Resources> Transgaming. Inside Transgaming, open Program Files> Electronic Arts> and within that should be folders for your expansion packs. Copy the WHOLE FOLDER of the game that isn't working (Late Night/Ambitions)

With your copied folder, go back to Applications> Sims 3> Show package contents> Resources> Add ons. Normally, when your launcher opens, its an icon of one of your expansion packs. For me, that is Island Paradise. So, I right clicked on Island Paradise>Show Package contents>Content?Resources>Transgaming>Program Files> Electronic Arts> and you will find yourself at the folders with expansion packs. Notice how Late Night/Ambitions is not there? PASTE the folder you copied into there. Once both Late Night and Ambitions is working, try relaunching the launcher and you should be good to go! I hope I helped!

View in thread

Message 55 of 532 (259,937 Views)

All Replies

Nightlife and Ambitions crash launcher

★★★★★ Newbie

Ok here's the situation:

I'm installing all my old games on a MacBook Air and I got through all my expansion packs except Nightlife and Ambitions. When I get to either of those, all the sudden the launcher won't launch. Specifically the error reads "Unknown error occurred" during the launch sequence:

• I only have problems with these expansion packs, the others installed run the game fine
  • It still doesn't work with no CC installed
  • After installing, and clicking play from Origin the launcher (or maybe Origin) recognizes to update it and does, but the launch still doesn't pull up that menu

I'm sort of at my wits end here, help :'(

Message 1 of 532 (216,310 Views)

Re: Nightlife and Ambitions crash launcher

EA app Team

Hi @mysskae

Could you please take a look to this post by our hero BluebellFlora? That could explain your issue. Wink

Thanks,

Mai

Message 2 of 532 (216,297 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Perhaps, but my Mac isn't listed in the "affected models" list. I have a MacBook Air 3,2 with NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics chip. 

And I don't have any problems with the base game. Only the Nightlife and Ambitions expansion packs. So if it is a graphics issue, would I modify the program files for the base game, or just for the expansion packs?

Message 3 of 532 (216,286 Views)

@mysskae

Unfortunately Ambitions and Late Night now seem to be causing problems for a broader range of Mac users. Have you recently upgraded to macOS Sierra?

AHQSigImage.png
Message 4 of 532 (216,278 Views)

Sims 3 mac 'an unknown error occurred'

★★★ Newbie
I've downloaded the sims 3 onto my mac and a few expansion packs, when I try to play it just says an unknown error occurred. Please help
Message 5 of 532 (216,325 Views)

Re: Sims 3 mac 'an unknown error occurred'

EA app Team

Hi @rhiannonglover

Could you please take a look to this post by our hero BluebellFlora? That could explain your issue. Wink

If not, could you share with us the specifications of your Mac?

Thanks,

Mai

Message 6 of 532 (216,305 Views)

Can't open The Sims 3 on my Mac due to "unknown error."

★★★ Newbie

Hi everyone!

I can't seem to reinstall The Sims 3 or any of its EPs on my Mac (the same computer on which I had it running about a year ago).

I uninstalled it many months ago, and have tried to make sure that I didn't miss any folders or text files associated with TS3 when I uninstalled the application. Now, when I try to (re)download it via MacGameStore - where I originally purchased it - or Origin, it won't work.

Via Origin, it will go s far as to say it's downloaded successfully and is Ready To Play. However, when I try to open the game, I immediately get a message saying "Unknown error occurred." Nothing further. The game won't launch.

Via MacGameStore, trying to download it typically brings me to an error message (Error 208) instead. Once it's shown me Error 211.

Once or twice (in my repeated attempts to get this running again) it's almost managed to download it, only to have an Unknown Error pop up in the final stage of installation. When that occurs, I can't open the game to play it - the only option I have is to install it. When I click on the install option, it cautions me that I've "already installed it" and proceeding would rewrite the files; do I wish to continue? Clicking "continue" brings me no further, though, and I end up with error messages anyway.

I'd like to note that when I reattempt to install it, I try to completely remove it from my drive first (using an uninstaller app like CleanMyMac to make sure all files are removed) so that no corrupted bits and bobs are left behind. Still won't work though! Perhaps I'm missing some files? I'm not sure if I used an uninstaller app the first time I removed TS3 from my computer (all those months ago) so any old files associated with that installation could still be lurking in my drive. If that's the case, where should I go to find them? My Mac is on El Capitan, which intentionally masks a lot of pathways and folders so that users can't tinker too much...

What (other) steps should I take in order to be able to play this game again?

Thank you!

Message 7 of 532 (216,315 Views)

Sims 3 Expansion Packs - Unknown Error Occured

★ Novice

Hi there,

I've played the Sims 3 on my current laptop (MacBook Pro Retina 13-inch, Early 2015), and was originally running it off an external hard drive. I no longer have said hard drive, so I can re-downloaded the Sims 3 base game, and am having no problems running it. 

The minute I install any expansion packs (I own Late Night, Ambitions and Pets) I get a message "Unknown Error Occurs" and cannot get into the game any further.

I have done 3 clean uninstalls, and to no avail.

I understand Late Night and Ambitions are the most problematic, so I have kind of made my piece with that. But I would really love to be able to use Pets.

I've tried EVERYTHING I can find on the net - The Ultimate Fix, Different Patches, Running through bootstrap and am getting nowhere. 

My current system on my Mac is macOS Sierra Version 10.12.1 

Does anyone have any further suggestions?

Thanks Standard smile 

Message 8 of 532 (216,317 Views)

Re: Sims 3 Expansion Packs - Unknown Error Occured

@cc2992

Not really too sure what you mean by 'running through bootstrap'?

Late Night and Ambitions are the most problematic, and it doesn't help that your integrated Intel graphics are not supported in the game.

I would cleanly uninstall everything then install the base game, patch manually, then install Pets. If it's working you could then try LN again.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 9 of 532 (216,303 Views)