Re: Sims 4 keeps freezing on my Mac - help!

by Bluebellflora

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 4 keeps freezing on my Mac - help!

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Hey there! 

I'm wondering if someone could give me some technical advice as I'm useless!

I've been playing the Sims 4 on my Mac since I bought my Mac well over a year ago now - I've had the odd freeze here and there but nothing I've found unusual as this happened on my old gaming PC too, which I usually just put down to overheating. Other than that, ran perfectly! But just recently the game froze up a few times, so I closed the game, restarted it, about 2-3 minutes into gameplay it freezes again, so I repeat the process of closing the game an restarting it about 4-5 times and every time I do after about 2-3 minutes it freezes. So I got angry and gave up. This was about a month ago now so yesterday I decided to give it another go, and the same thing happens as before. Now after reading similar posts I can give the following information which may be some use to any heros who can help,

About my Mac;

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro12,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Boot ROM Version: MBP121.0167.B21

SMC Version (system): 2.28f7

Hardware UUID: 4A1A6333-3C11-5CB9-80D1-35AB170377C5

I'm aware my Mac needs updating though don't see that being a problem? I don't run Sims on high graphics so I don't see that being the problem either. I have recently downloaded, and my Sims do live in a house from the gallery which may have CC I'm not 100% sure as I mostly redecorated but I myself do not use any mods or CC. 

So I'm at a loss! Any help would be greatly appreciated as it's my holiday and I want to delve my guilty pleasure which is Sims!

Thank you, Samantha. 

Message 1 of 9 (35,617 Views)

Accepted Solution

@Samilou1989

Yes. If it worked with a new clean game then crashed with your old saves then the problem is most likely with one or more saves. @crinrict's site is great for information on saves - http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/save-games/

It may be that your save game has corrupted in which case there's not much you can do apart from start again Frown

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -

View in thread

Message 7 of 9 (36,358 Views)

All Replies

@Samilou1989

CC doesn't transfer through the Gallery so that's not an issue. Please can you provide more information about your Mac. Instructions on how to do so here - http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-4-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/4612...

AHQSigImage.png
Message 2 of 9 (35,592 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Hi I have followed your steps and here is the information you asked for. I know I posted this a few weeks ago but I recently moved house and I'm only just getting chance to fix my sims problem. I did the 'fix game feature' on Origin and my game is still crashing after about a minute gameplay. When my game begins to crash my laptop becomes very warm underneath and starts making a wurring sound then the game will freeze and the spinning wheel will appear. But please find attached screen shots of the information you needed.  Thank you very much!

Message 3 of 9 (35,517 Views)

@Samilou1989

Thanks Standard smile

Your Mac is getting hot because games use a lot of resources and demand a lot of power. The whirring sound is the fan ramping up to cool your Mac down so no heat damage is caused. Elevate your Mac and make sure air can circulate underneath.

Can you move your Sims 4 folder from Documents > Electronic Arts onto your Desktop then try playing your game again? It will be like new but don't worry, all your Saves etc. are in the folder you moved.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 4 of 9 (35,499 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Hello again! Since yesterday whilst I was waiting for a reply from you I decided to uninstall Sims 4 and Origin and reinstall and still my problem persisted. I have since seen your reply and have moved the Sims 4 folder to my desktop. It's worked and the game is no longer crashing now my question is is how do I get my saved content working again? I can see my saves in the saved folder but when I start a game none of my content is there it is acting like a new game? 

Thanks for all your help! I very much appreciate it!

Sam. Standard smile 

Message 5 of 9 (35,491 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Since my last comment I went back into the Electronic Arts - Sims 4 folder and pasted my saves into the saved folder from the saves folder which I moved onto the desk top. Started the game up all my content was there an the crash happened. Do you think it could be something to so with the saves being bugged or something? 

Message 6 of 9 (35,490 Views)

@Samilou1989

Yes. If it worked with a new clean game then crashed with your old saves then the problem is most likely with one or more saves. @crinrict's site is great for information on saves - http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/save-games/

It may be that your save game has corrupted in which case there's not much you can do apart from start again Frown

AHQSigImage.png
Message 7 of 9 (36,359 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@Bluebellflora Heloooo again, I had a read up about saved info and managed to revert back to an older save before the corrupted one, I'm currently building a new house (what I wanted to do anyway) so not much lost and it seems to be working fine and it's been going for a few hours now.

Thank you sooooo very much for your kind help <3

Happy Simming!

Sam xx  

Message 8 of 9 (35,475 Views)

@Samilou1989

Great! So pleased you can play again - enjoy :D

AHQSigImage.png
Message 9 of 9 (35,472 Views)