My The Sims 3 won't start[Mac]

by MalleSkywalker

Original Post

My The Sims 3 won't start[Mac]

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Hi

I just recently got a Mac and I haven't had one before. I installed my The Sims 3 from Origin, and everything was fine, but now it won't start? I can only open the game, but then it just crashes and I have to force it closed. 

Something went wrong the first time I installed it, so I deleted it and installed it again. The second time there was no problem, I just can't play it

Sometimes when I clic the icon on my desktop, the launcher stars, but when I press play it says: "unable to do this, when the game is already started" (sorry, I'm translating this from Danish), but the game hasn't started?

@Bluebellflora   please and thank you in advance

Message 1 of 23 (15,931 Views)

Re: My The Sims 3 won't start[Mac]

@MalleSkywalker

First of all, what Mac do you have -

Click on the Apple icon in the top left corner of your desktop and select About This Mac. Please provide the following information (you may need to click on More Info depending on what operating system you're running:

- Operating System (Version)
- Mac model
- Processor
- Memory (RAM)
- Graphics

- Are you running any antivirus?
- Do you have Time Machine/Spotify/Dropbox or similar running?

- Are you patched up to date? You should be on patch level 1.67

Secondly, when you uninstalled did you get rid of all the residual files the uninstaller leaves behind? Instructions on how to properly uninstall can be found here.

- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway, shape or form. I'm just a long time Mac user who's been Simming since the beginning -

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 2 of 23 (15,876 Views)

★★ Novice

This is the information about my Mac:

MacBook Air (13'', primo 2015)

Processor: 2,2 GHz Intel Core i7

8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB

I really don't have anything on my computer since it's brand new. I don't use Spotify or anything like that, so the only thing open would be Safari. I believe the operating system i  OS X Yosemite, but I'm not good with computers. I put the Sims on Macintosh HD (I have no idea what this is so maybe I shouldn't?). I'm not using any antivirus since I don't know which would be good on a Mac, again, my knowledge of computers is limited.

I'm not sure how I can see the patch level, but it says that my game is up to date. I did follow (I actually believe it was yours) tutorial on how to get rid of the residue. 

Message 3 of 23 (15,865 Views)

★★ Novice

This is the information about my Mac:

MacBook Air (13'', primo 2015)

Processor: 2,2 GHz Intel Core i7

8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB

I really don't have anything on my computer since it's brand new. I don't use Spotify or anything like that, so the only thing open would be Safari. I believe the operating system i  OS X Yosemite, but I'm not good with computers. I put the Sims on Macintosh HD (I have no idea what this is so maybe I shouldn't?). I'm not using any antivirus since I don't know which would be good on a Mac, again, my knowledge of computers is limited.

I'm not sure how I can see the patch level, but it says that my game is up to date. I did follow (I actually believe it was yours) tutorial on how to get rid of the residue. 

@Bluebellflora

Message 4 of 23 (15,861 Views)

[MAC] Sims 3 started pack, won't start? Please help!

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I downloaded the Sims 3 starter pack from origin for my 2015 Macbook air. When i installed the game, i installed the update and patch like it asked me to. Then i clicked play on the game launcher. Sometimes a screen would pop up saying "Sims 3 quit unexpectedly" other times it would say "Cant complete this action while game is running" but no game was ever running. Then occasionally, the preloading screen would pop up (Blue with green plumbob in center). I have researched and tried everything i can think of. from bypassing the launcher to reinstalling and everything. I do not think it is my computer because it is brand new and i have no previous sims content on it. Other people can play sims 3 on their macbook air's. Can someone please help me find a solution. I'm open to any suggestions. I really want to play the game. i love the sims but have always been hesitant to buy until now. and it won't work

@Bluebellflora

Message 5 of 23 (15,900 Views)

[ Edited ]

@MalleSkywalker

Thanks. Can you move your Sims 3 folder out onto your desktop and try again? The game will regenerate a new one. Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3

Have you downloaded any CC/Mods? 

Have you downloaded anything from the Exchange?

- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway, shape or form. I'm just a long time Mac user who's been Simming since the beginning -

The Sims 3 Mac Help Thread - | - The Sims 4 Mac Help Thread -

AHQSigImage.png
Message 6 of 23 (15,849 Views)

Re: [MAC] Sims 3 started pack, won't start? Please help!

@SchylerA wrote:

I downloaded the Sims 3 starter pack from origin for my 2015 Macbook air. When i installed the game, i installed the update and patch like it asked me to. Then i clicked play on the game launcher. Sometimes a screen would pop up saying "Sims 3 quit unexpectedly" other times it would say "Cant complete this action while game is running" but no game was ever running. Then occasionally, the preloading screen would pop up (Blue with green plumbob in center). I have researched and tried everything i can think of. from bypassing the launcher to reinstalling and everything. I do not think it is my computer because it is brand new and i have no previous sims content on it. Other people can play sims 3 on their macbook air's. Can someone please help me find a solution. I'm open to any suggestions. I really want to play the game. i love the sims but have always been hesitant to buy until now. and it won't work

@Bluebellflora

"I do not think it is my computer because it is brand new" I think this may be the exact reason as to why you're experiencing this. Your posts is the 4th I've seen in 2 days relating to TS3 on the 2015 MBA. Could be coincidence though.

Can you provide the following, exactly as your Mac shows:

Click on the Apple icon in the top left corner of your desktop and select About This Mac. Please provide the following information (you may need to click on More Info depending on what operating system you're running:

- Operating System (Version)
- Mac model
- Processor
- Memory (RAM)
- Graphics

- Are you running any antivirus?
- Do you have Time Machine/Spotify/Dropbox or similar running?

- Are you patched up to date? You should be on patch level 1.67

AHQSigImage.png
Message 7 of 23 (15,878 Views)

@SchylerA sorry, more questions for you -

• Are you trying to start the game from within Origin or from the app in your Applications folder?
  • In your Dock is there a TS3 icon showing with a dot underneath?
  • If you open Activity Monitor and sort by %CPU is the game showing up still as the main CPU user?
  • Can you go to System Preferences > Users & Groups then click on Login Items. What shows up in the window? You probably have iTunesHelper in there, which is fine, but is anything else showing up?

AHQSigImage.png
Message 8 of 23 (15,866 Views)

★★ Novice

I moved the folder to my desktop. When I started the game, I downloaded the new patch, but now when I press play, it just says that I'm already playing and that the game is open, but it's not?

I've not downloaded anything other than the game itself and the new patch I was able to install when I moved the folder to my desktop.

I bought The Sims 4 and I can install that and play it without any problems - I'd just rather play The Sims 3

Message 9 of 23 (15,841 Views)

★★ Novice

1. operating system: OS X Yosemit version 10.10.3

2. Mac Model: Macbook Air 13-inch Early 2015

3. Processor: 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5

4. Memory: 4gb 1600 MHz DDR3

5. Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB

Currently not running any antivirus, and I do not have spotify or Dropbox but i have not looked into time machine.

Yes the game is completely patched up to date

Message 10 of 23 (15,854 Views)