(MAC) "Unknown error occurred" -- trying to install Ambitions/Late Night

by cel10e

Original Post

Re: (MAC) "Unknown error occurred" -- trying to install Ambitions/Late Night

★★★★ Novice

@caspinwall wrote:

@cel10e wrote:

Yeah, as soon as I launch the game with either Ambitions or Late Night installed it gives me the "Unknown error occurred" message. Trying to bypass the launcher (I did that once a while ago) gives me another, similar error, so that's out too. I'm sure it's something in the download but this is the third or fourth time I've downloaded them so it seems like it's not just chance.

Are you launching the game through Origin or directly from the base game icon in Applications/The Sims 3 folder? If you've been trying via Origin, try via the base game icon instead. 

Also purge your RAM (the launcher reallly chews through RAM): http://bluebellflora.com/resetting-ram-during-gameplay/

The only two things I can think of to fix your downloads are Angel make sure you really have got rid of the old game files before starting a new installation - old ones can cause conflicts, and (b) make sure you use that little "i" button in Origin rather than the main install button. If you are doing that and your internet connection is stable, I don't know what else you could try.

Tried the base game icon. Still gives the error (note -- the shortcut icons for the two EPs don't show up in the main folder this time either, though I don't know what that means). I'm not sure the RAM thing would help me as I can't even open the launcher. I'll try another uninstall/reinstall.

Message 11 of 17 (1,912 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@cel10e wrote:

Tried the base game icon. Still gives the error (note -- the shortcut icons for the two EPs don't show up in the main folder this time either, though I don't know what that means). I'm not sure the RAM thing would help me as I can't even open the launcher. I'll try another uninstall/reinstall.

If the shortcut icons for the EPs don't show up in that folder, then that means they have failed to install. I think a clean uninstall and try again is all you can do. What a pain Frown

Message 12 of 17 (1,893 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@caspinwall wrote:

@cel10e wrote:

If the shortcut icons for the EPs don't show up in that folder, then that means they have failed to install. I think a clean uninstall and try again is all you can do. What a pain Frown

Still nothing today, tried Ambitions again this morning and no dice. I guess I'll keep trying until it works. Thanks for your help, though! Glad to know it's not a problem with anything I'm doing, at least :P

Message 13 of 17 (1,890 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Is it possible that I need to repurchase the two EPs? I don't know how the downloads work, but is it possible that the whole deal is compromised? If I got a different serial key, or something, would that make a difference?

Message 14 of 17 (1,876 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@cel10e wrote:

Is it possible that I need to repurchase the two EPs? I don't know how the downloads work, but is it possible that the whole deal is compromised? If I got a different serial key, or something, would that make a difference?

You shouldn't have to repurchase them. If there is something wrong with your current codes then you could ask customer services to give you different codes to try. They will be able to see in your purchase history that you are already entitled to those games.

Message 15 of 17 (1,871 Views)

Re: (MAC) "Unknown error occurred" -- trying to install Ambitions/Late

★★ Novice

i´m having the same problem.

as soon as I install ambitions it won't even start the launcher. gives an unknown error and closes the app.

is there any fix??

Message 16 of 17 (1,190 Views)

Re: (MAC) "Unknown error occurred" -- trying to install Ambitions/Late

[ Edited ]

@supradany

Yes, there is a fix - http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/CURRENT-ISSUE-Unknown-Error-issue-in-Sims-3-in-El-Capitan-Sier...

Locking this thread. Please refer to the above linked one for the solution.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 17 of 17 (1,182 Views)