Re: HELP! what should i do when "Select a volume where the /The Sims 3.localized/The Sims3.app is already installed" came out?

by caspinwall

Original Post

HELP! what should i do when "Select a volume where the /The Sims 3.localized/The Sims3.app is already installed" came out?

★★★ Newbie

It aksed me to select a volume where the sims is installed, but i don't have any. what is that mean? please help

Message 1 of 16 (9,191 Views)

Re: HELP! what should i do when "Select a volume where the /The Sims 3.localized/The Sims3.app is already installed" came out?

Hero

Are you on a mac ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 16 (9,116 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

If you are on a Mac, the location in which your TS3 games are installed is in Applications, in a folder called "The Sims 3". This is where your base game should have been installed and this is the location in which any expansions should be directed.

What is it that you are trying to install - an expansion or stuff pack?  If so, do you already have the base game installed and does it run properly? Have you patched the base game to patch level 1.63?

Caspin

Message 3 of 16 (9,113 Views)

Re: HELP! what should i do when "Select a volume where the /The Sims 3.localized/The Sims3.app

★★★ Newbie

im having the same problem! my base game is running well! ive had the sims 3 into the future already installed. because by accident somehow i deleted my other expansions of the game and now i cant find the disks. Anyways! no matter how much i try going to apllicaions>sims3 it still says 'select a volume where the sims 3 is already installed. but im not even sure where i installed the game! but im pretty sure i installed the base game onto my desktop which i usually do. But when i press desktop the message appears again! thats the way i always install my expansion packs. Through my dektop. HELP PLEASE!! before i sell my game back to the store

Message 4 of 16 (9,012 Views)

Re: HELP! what should i do when "Select a volume where the /The Sims 3.localized/The Sims3.app

Champion (Retired)

Hi again,

I just answered your thread here: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/I-cant-install-my-sims-3-university-life-mac/td-p/2310413

The game will be installed in Applications, not on your desktop. Icons will appear on your desktop during installation, and you may have a shortcut to the Launcher stored there, but the actual installation should be in Applications.

You say that you accidentally deleted expansions - how did you do this? Did you reinstall them again? If you have accidentally removed some files, perhaps your current attempt to install a pack is being hampered by your setup being messed up somehow.

Try one more time to install and choose Applications not desktop. If it doesn't work, I would recommend that you cleanly uninstall the game and start again. You can backup your saves etc first so you won't lose anything important. If you have lost the DVDs then you can register the codes and download from Origin.

Uninstall instructions:

When you uninstall TS3 games on your Mac using the uninstaller, the game leaves behind stray files and isn't completely removed from your computer. These files may conflict with future installations. It is best to completely remove them. BluebellFlora's website provides a guide on how to do this:

http://bluebellflora.com/the-sims-3-on-a-mac/how-to-do-a-clean-uninstall-and-reinstall-on-a-mac/

After cleanly uninstalling, install the base game and patch it up to date. If you cannot update via the Launcher, download and apply the latest cumulative manual patch (called the superpatch) for Mac.

Check that your game works properly. Then install any EPs and SPs that you own, in order of release date.

Message 5 of 16 (9,001 Views)

★★★ Newbie

i lost my code and the disc...because i just moved houses and i cant seem to find my discs...i guess i cant install it now..thanks anways! ill just sell my game back to the store.

Message 6 of 16 (8,995 Views)

Champion (Retired)

HI

Yes, with no disc or code I'm afraid there's not much to be done!

Caspin

Message 7 of 16 (8,986 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This might be super late, but I figured it out. 

So the installer is looking for an app file called "The Sims3.app" 

for some reason, the actual app is titled "The Sims 3.app" with a space between Sims and 3, if you locate your main app icon, and click to get info, under the filename, modify it so theres no space, and then the installer will be able to find the file.

Really stupid and simple, but it works.

Message 8 of 16 (8,169 Views)

Re: HELP! what should i do when "Select a volume where the /The Sims 3.loca

★★★ Newbie

I've done all of this so far and still not having any luck.

When I search Finder for The Sims3.app, it finds it in Applications, but then when I go through Origin to search for it, nothing appears.  Not sure why Origins isn't seeing it.  Any tricks for this?

Message 9 of 16 (7,582 Views)

Re: HELP! what should i do when "Select a volume where the /The Sims 3.loca

★★★ Newbie

nevermind - I figured it out. Standard smile

Message 10 of 16 (7,580 Views)