[CURRENT ISSUE]Sims 3 'Unknown Error' in El Capitan and later OS versions

by Bluebellflora

Original Post

Re: Mac: Error with sims 3 "Unknown Error Occurred" (after installing)

★★★ Newbie

this has not worked for me , maybe I have a different computer than u but this has not been helpful .

Message 151 of 532 (640 Views)

Re: [CURRENT ISSUE]'Unknown Error' issue in Sims 3 in El Capitan/Sierra macOS

★★★ Newbie

Thank you! This fixed my problem too!

Message 152 of 532 (630 Views)

★★ Novice

This is the first solution I've come across that actually fixed the problem! Thanks:eahigh_file:

Message 153 of 532 (599 Views)

@shelma32

If you followed the instructions precisely for adding your Intel graphics to the .sgr files it should work. Ultimately your Mac is not compatible because the game does not support the Intel Iris 6100 so there is no magic fix, sorry.

@amshunnie

What do you meant it won't let you use the fix for the other packs? You manually move the files into the folder. What error message are you getting?

@naturalposh

What Mac do you have?

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 154 of 532 (588 Views)

★ Novice
THANK YOU!!! 👏🙌
Message 155 of 532 (586 Views)

★★★ Novice

I still have an error when im loading the game.....

Message 156 of 532 (569 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I have a very old version of MacBook Pro that I've had since I started Highschool, in 2012. It's a model from late 2011 (MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2011) Identifier, MacBookPro8,1). Last year(2016) around June it was still very compatible and working with Sims 3. It never lagged, and had excellent graphics. I have the expansion packs installed in the following order as I bought them; Late Night + stuff pack(High End Loft), Pets, Seasons, Generations, and Ambitions. I've downloaded Generations and Ambitions through Origin and the rest by disc. I absolutely love all of these expansion packs and really can't imagine playing without them

It happened in August when I came back to school and my electronics advisor mentioned being able to upgrade my laptop using the funds that the school provided and getting a really good deal. And Interested in the idea of getting a new hard drive plus battery practically for free in my very old laptop I ordered the things and had it fixed up. I never thought about compatibility after I got my laptop back and noticed 'oh so this is what getting a new hard drive means!' kinda thing. 

Anyhow my laptop still an old model is now upgraded from a MacOS Version whatever to a macOS Sierra with a new processor, memory, and graphics. And to my Horror Sims 3 was no longer working. It'd bring up the starting screen with the plumbob after pressing play in the launcher and then the application would stop responding and I would have to force quit to exit. 

I noticed I don't get the Unknown Error message, in fact I don't get any message like other people. And I figure it's probably the Intel graphics that's incompatible. However I was wondering if there is a solution for these kind of Graphics:  Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB  Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

Cuz I don't see any of those specifics.

I gave up trying to get it to work on my laptop but I still have a vague hope. If anything I might have to wait a while and slowly save up for parts to build my own gaming windows computer that's compatible with my old favorites. I have never uninstalled Sims 3 or it's expansion packs because I'm not sure if I'll lose saved data(not like I've already been doomed to) and I'm not sure if I'll be able to reinstall it. Especially with Origin I know you buy it and download it, but if you uninstall it is it possible to reinstall without having to re-buy it?(And because I've never uninstalled I don't know how it works *cries* lol)

Anyways the jist of this is, my game doesn't work either. Probably incompatibility with intel graphics. But my graphics aren't the same as the solutions and I don't get Error messages but Freezes instead. I've never uninstalled or tried to change anything. Hanging onto hope~ *Edit- I should mention I'm not missing any files in any of the folders that they should be in and stuff-

*EDIT ~ Thanks to Bluebellflora I realized that it's not the graphics that are the problem but Sierra. And hanging on that I changed my question when looking through google and somehow found a solution for my sorta problem ... I checked it out and tried what it said, and I've gotten past the initial stuck at the plumbob scene and straight to the menu! I haven't tried entering one of my saved files yet but it looks good/fixed so far~ Sierra just doesn't want it to launch correctly, I guess?  Thank you Bluebellflora for the help! It really did help! (I'll keep in mind to keep my old hard drives next time too in case a caddy helps~)

Message 157 of 532 (567 Views)

★★★ Novice

I followed every exact step in the video, and it still is not working for me

Message 158 of 532 (562 Views)

[ Edited ]

@SonyNightingale

You have't had an upgraded processor and graphics as the ones you state are the ones that came with your Mac when it was shipped. It is not possible to replace those parts as it would require a whole new logic board to do so, not just the individual components Your Intel HD 3000 is supported, there's no incompatability issue with it, it's Sierra that is the issue. If you buy a caddy for your old drive you could boot your Mac from it and play the Sims like you used to Standard smile 

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 159 of 532 (548 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

@Bluebellflora

Ah~ Is that how it works? x'3 I'm not very electronically adept so the more I learn ^~^/. Sadly I don't have my old hard drive anymore, since when it was replaced this laptop wasn't completely mine it still belonged to the school district so any parts they replace they keep the old ones or something along the lines (I bought the laptop from them before I graduated x'3). Essentially I never received my old hard drive, however things like games and stuff were, I think the right word is, 'backed up' and then transferred onto the new one. (My old hard drive and battery were worn out, hence replacing with newer ones that would last another few years). So if a caddy does what I think it does, I don't think I can access the previous version that doesn't have Sierra, sadly enough :'/.. Thanks for the support/idea! I wonder if I can contact my old electronics person and see if I could ever get it back, though I doubt it x'3 and I'd probably have to buy it.. I wonder if there is any other way? (If not then I'll still have to wait to save up enough 'leisure' money x'3)

Message 160 of 532 (502 Views)