Glitching, Crashing, and Performance Issues - The Sims 3

by Primrose24

Original Post

Re: sims 3 quits unexpectedly

★★ Novice

hi,

yes, my laptop is early 2015 MacBook air 13" 

I have tried the text edit for the base game but I couldn't find the ivybridge for the graphic card and graphic rules on the high-end loft stuff and late night EP, and it's still not working...

Thank you for telling me, I really hope they'd have a solution for this as many people have the same problem as me 

Message 121 of 274 (3,718 Views)

@Megan0996

I understand how frustrating it must be. You can add those lines into the GraphicsRules.sgr file, just make sure you add them under the Intel section. That's interesting that you say it's HELS and LN that don't have it. Those packs seem to be the ones most people are having issues with, thanks for clarifying Standard smile

Moving this to the stickied thread as it might help others.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 122 of 274 (3,713 Views)

★★ Novice

@Bluebellflora

I will try to do it on HELS and LN then Standard smile

I just uninstalled the sims 3 (for the nth times) and planning on re-install the base game only

Hope it'll work this time (fingers crossed)

Message 123 of 274 (3,697 Views)

Re: [CURRENT ISSUE] The Sims 3 - Issues playing on newer (post 2013) Macs

★★★ Newbie

Hello, this is my problem too however I have a 13" MacBook Pro 12,1, with and Intel Core i5 processor and 2.7GHz.

I tried playing with the edits to the GraphicsRules and GraphicsCards suggested for MacBook Pro Intel Iris 6100 (I know it's not my computer but it was the most similar option available and didn't see the harm) and it obviously didn't work. I also tried bypassing the launcher and no success.

Is there a known code edit for my computer? I only have the original game so no expansion packs yet.

Message 124 of 274 (3,685 Views)

Re: [CURRENT ISSUE] The Sims 3 - Issues playing on newer (post 2013) Macs

@oheyworth

You followed the right instructions. Did you patch after doing the edit? If so you will need to edit again. Unfortunately not everyone is successful with the alterations to the files. Just keep trying and follow the instructions carefully and thoroughly.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 125 of 274 (3,673 Views)

Glitching, Crashing, and Performance Issues - The Sims 3

★ Novice

Hi,

I've been playing The Sims 3 (base game and cc only) on an iMac, and recently I moved everything to an new iMac. It's the same type and everything, but I also got 5 expansions for Christmas.  I got Supernatural, Pets, Generations, Seasons, and University. The glitches started immediately after download.  There was no cc on the new computer at the time, so it couldn't have been cc. My issue was that I would start a sim in create-a-sim and get finished the face and hair, only to find the clothing all glitches. The face would be on the legs, the pants on the face, it looked awful.  Sometimes it would even turn turquoise looking. I could just click another piece of clothing, and it would go back to normal. But sometimes I could make a sim with no issue, but the second sim would start glitching, and then it would crash. Half the time I couldn't even make it past create-a-sim, it would always crash. The other half, I would get past create-a-sim (with the glitches), but by some luck, it wouldn't crash.  But when I'd normally see the edit relationships page, it would be rainbow looking, and random icons from create-a-sim would be all over the place. By memory, I could find the button and move on to the map view to pick a house. Surprisingly this never glitches, but when I'd pick a house and try to go into build mode, all the icons would be scattered and I wouldn't be able to do anything. I can't use anything on the game, and it crashes all the time. I'm pretty angry that this isn't working on a brand-new computer, and with brand new expansions.

i have uninstalled supernatural, uni, and pets and gotten rid of some custom content (that I had downloaded after the glitches started). But nothing seems to work.  Can I get my money back? Or better yet fix this? Please help.

Message 126 of 274 (8,508 Views)

Re: Glitching, Crashing, and Performance Issues - The Sims 3

@Primrose24

The Sims 3 is not compatible on new iMacs due to the graphic cards not being supported. I've moved your post to this stickied one relating to the issue. Please read the opening post and try the workaround in the links provided.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 127 of 274 (8,496 Views)

The Sims 3 Won't Work on New Macbook

★★★ Novice

I bought a new macbook pro, mid 2015, with a 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 processor. I installed the sims 3 on it, along with a few expansion packs, and it runs so painfully slow. It loads up just fine, create a sim is ok, but when I actually play the game it runs at like 0.2 miles per hour, it's very laggy. I had it installed on my previous macbook (around 2012) and it worked perfectly fine. So is my new computer too advanced or something? Is there anyway to make it work?

Message 128 of 274 (8,508 Views)

Re: The Sims 3 Won't Work on New Macbook

@applebrynn

The game is not compatible on your Mac due to the graphics card not being supported. Please read the opening post in the stickied thread on this forum specifically related to newer Macs.

Locking this thread but feel free to post in the above linked one should you need any further help.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 129 of 274 (8,495 Views)

Re: The Sims 3 Won't Work on New Macbook

[ Edited ]
Community Manager (retired)

Hi everyone,

We would like to invite players who are experiencing issues with running The Sims 3 on recent Mac models to download and install this version of Origin:

https://eaassets-a.akamaihd.net/Origin-Client-Download/origin/forum/34349/Origin.dmg

This should help with general compatibility and stability issues.

If you are still unable to launch or play the game after that, please come back to us.

Please note that this solution will not work if the incompatibility issues are due to hardware.

MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS FOR THE SIMS 3

Spoiler

FOR WINDOWS XP

• 2.0 GHz P4 processor or equivalent
  • 1 GB RAM
  • 128 MB Graphics card with support for Pixel Shader 2.0
  • The latest version of DirectX 9.0c
  • Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2
  • At least 6.1 GB of hard drive space with at least 1 GB of additional space for custom content and saved games

FOR WINDOWS VISTA

• 2.4 GHz P4 processor or equivalent
  • 1.5 GB RAM
  • 128 MB Graphics card with support for Pixel Shader 2.0
  • Microsoft Windows Vista Service Pack 1
  • At least 6.1 GB of hard drive space with at least 1 GB of additional space for custom content and saved games

For computers using built-in graphics chipsets under Windows, the game requires at least:

• Intel Integrated Chipset, GMA 3-Series or above
  • 2.6 GHz Pentium D CPU (Windows Vista), or 1.8 GHz Core 2 Duo (Windows XP Service Pack 3)
  • 0.5 GB additional RAM
ORIGIN REQUIREMENTS FOR WINDOWS PC
The Origin client needs to be able to run on your system in order for you to play The Sims 3. You can download it here.
  • 150MB of available disk space
  • Windows XP Service Pack 2 or later, Windows Vista, or Windows 7
  • 1GHz processor
  • 512 MB RAM

FOR MAC OS X

• Mac OS X 10.5.7 Leopard or higher
  • Intel Core Duo Processor
  • 2 GB RAM
  • ATI X1600 or Nvidia 7300 GT with 128 MB of Video RAM, or Intel Integrated GMA X3100.
  • This game will not run on PowerPC (G3/G4/G5) based Mac systems, or the GMA 950 class of integrated graphics cards.
ORIGIN REQUIREMENTS FOR MAC
The Origin client needs to be able to run on your system in order for you to play The Sims 3. You can download it here.
  • 150MB of available disk space
  • OS X 10.6.8 minimum
  • Intel Core 2 Duo processor

Windows Supported Graphics cards

NVIDIA GeForce series

FX 5900, FX 5950
6200, 6500, 6600, 6800
7200, 7300, 7600, 7800, 7900, 7950
8400, 8500, 8600, 8800
9300, 9400, 9500, 9600, 9800
G100, GT 120, GT 130, GTS 150
GTS 250, GTX 260, GTX 280, GTX 285, GTX 295

ATI Radeon™ series

9500, 9600, 9800
X300, X600, X700, X800, X850
X1300, X1600, X1800, X1900, X1950
2400, 2600, 2900
3450, 3650, 3850, 3870
4850, 4870
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA)
GMA 3-Series, GMA 4-Series

Laptop versions of these chipsets may work, but may run comparatively slower. Standalone cards that are installed in vanilla PCI slots (not PCIe or PCIx or AGP), such as some GeForce FX variants, will perform poorly.

Integrated chipsets such as the ATI Xpress and the NVIDIA TurboCache variants may default to settings that are higher than what would be optimal for them. Graphics settings can be lowered to improve performance.

The NVIDIA GeForce FX series is unsupported under Vista.

MAC OS X Supported Graphics cards

NVIDIA GeForce series

7300, 7600
8600, 8800
9400M, 9600M GT
GT 120, GT 130

ATI Radeon™ series

X1600, X1900
2400, 2600
4850, 4870

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA)

GMA 3-Series