2015 27" iMac 5K Unknown Error Ocurred

by daflyninja

Original Post

2015 27" iMac 5K Unknown Error Ocurred

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Hey! I purchased about 2 weeks ago the Sims 3 and all the expansions. It's running on a 27" iMac 5K late 2015 with macOS Sierra, I've been able to install the game and most of the expansions but it seems like Late Night, Ambitions, Fast Lane stuff & Outdoor Living stuff are not installing properly on my Mac. I keep getting "Unknown error occurred" message when I click play and game won't start. When I uninstall those 4 expansions or stuff packs, the game runs perfectly with no problem. I did all the troubleshooting options possible, used the super patch and I did a clean re-install 3 times!! I'm usually good with those kind of things, but now I'm about to give up! I know my computer is quite powerful and that could be the reason I'm having problems, but there must be a way if the other expansions are working!! I'm losing patience now lol please help!! :-p

Message 1 of 3 (509 Views)

Re: 2015 27" iMac 5K Unknown Error Ocurred

[ Edited ]

@daflyninja

I have moved your post into its own thread as your issue is not related to the ongoing problem with downloading Expansion Packs through Origin.

The problems you are experiencing are related to your Mac, it has an incompatible graphics card which is not supported in the game. You are also running macOS Sierra which is still technically in beta and even when it is released there is no guarantee that the game will be compatible with it.

Please see this thread for a workaround fix for your graphics card - http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/CURRENT-ISSUE-The-Sims-3-Issues-playing-on-newer-post-2013-Mac... Your Mac is not listed there because you are the first person to properly confirm that the game is not running properly (your AMD Radeon R9 is not listed in the GraphicsCards.sgr file so is therefore not officially supported). The AMD Radeon however is having less issues than those with integrated Intel Iris and Intel HD 6xxx largely due to the Broadwell CPUs in those Macs.

Stating that the game works without Late Night, Ambitions, Fast Lane and Outdoor Living Stuff is confirming what others have told me as they have also managed to play without those EPs/SPs. 

Sorry, bit of an essay but I hope it explains the issues you are experiencing a bit better. Your best option would be to Boot Camp your Mac - Sims 3 has always run better in Windows.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 2 of 3 (481 Views)

Re: 2015 27" iMac 5K Unknown Error Ocurred

★★ Novice
Thank you very much!! I never thought about bootcamp option, will try that! :-)
Message 3 of 3 (468 Views)