While playing the Sims 4, my PC will suddenly shut off.

by nerdgod

Original Post

While playing the Sims 4, my PC will suddenly shut off.

★ Newbie

PC turns off after about 15 minutes of play.  Doesn't occur in other--more intensive--games or if the PC is left running.

Message 1 of 37 (48,084 Views)

Re: While playing the Sims 4, my PC will suddenly shut off.

Hero

Do you have a laptop ? Could you check on your temperature ? If the PC turns of it's usually an overheating issue.

Make sure you enable vsync in your options.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 37 (47,940 Views)

★★★ Newbie
I have the same issue. All of my drivers are updated and I've monitored my temperatures the 2nd time. The CPU fluctuates between 50-53 Celsius and my GPU goes between 63-71 Celsius.
I use a desktop with well over the minimum requirements for the game. Never had this problem playing other games...
Message 3 of 37 (47,933 Views)

★★★ Newbie
I have the same problem. Somethimes when i want to travel its suddenly shut down. But i read that more people have the same problem. I hope they fix this with a new patch for the sims 4. We can only hope.
Message 4 of 37 (47,737 Views)

Hero

A sudden computer shutdown can be caused by overheating hardware (as a safety measure) or if your power supply is too weak. If you've monitored your hardware temperatures (I recommend Speedfan or CPU ID HWMonitor) and they seem to be normal, then open up your PC and see what kind of power supply is in there.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 5 of 37 (47,733 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Hello! There is a simple solution to this problem. The Sims 4 is of comparison to the Sims 3, which means they both hog up frames to provide a sufficient game play. This process overworks your graphic card and can also cause damage. When the graphic card is overrun, your computer shuts off to prevent further damage. What you need to do to solve this issue is to simply enable vsync settings. I myself use Intel core HD graphics. If you're a nvidia user, you can just google up how to enable vsync for it. To enable Intel vsync, I press CTRL ALT F12 and it brings up the Intel screen. You find the 3D category and click on it. Look down and find "vertical sync." once found, click "on." This makes it so that vertical sync is enabled and uses the default settings of maximum frame rates. When application settings is enabled, the frame rates are controlled based on the games settings. (Windows 8)
Message 6 of 37 (47,541 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Had this problem for the past 2 months on a crappy dual core processor and amd hd 4400 video card. So, I just went out and bought a brand new AMD 6 core processor with a massive heat sink, 8GB heat shielded memory, a huge AMD R9 270x video card and a new motherboard. Within 15 minutes of play, it **bleep** on me again. $500 worth of upgrades and still have this same problem.

So, I found this forum and did the vsync suggestion, and walla, it **bleep** again. Even after All frame rate settings were turned to on. 

Message 7 of 37 (47,320 Views)

★★★ Newbie
This happens to me too , and my game would randomly freeze ,I just took my computer to get fixed , I'm just praying that this issue does not continue to happen ..
Message 8 of 37 (45,509 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Adjusting the nvidia and Intel vsync both didn't work for my windows 7 laptop... Already switched of during loading... Haven't started playing even :'(
Message 9 of 37 (44,357 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I've been keeping a good eye on the temperature of my laptop and making sure my laptop is on it's charger when I try to play the Sims 4, but my laptop still shuts off when I try to play. I turned it on this morning and turned on the game, but before I even got to the title screen on the Sims 4, my laptop turned on. I felt the bottom to see if it was hot and it wasn't. My laptop was still on it's charger too. Does anyone know why this is happening? Also, it only happens when I try to play the Sims 4. Please help!

Message 10 of 37 (41,416 Views)