Sims 4 download to SD Card?

by jaweshome

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 4 download to SD Card?

★★★ Newbie

Can you download Sims 4 to a SD Card when your hard drive is not big enough?

Message 1 of 28 (23,632 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Sims 4 download to SD Card?

EA Staff

@jaweshome Using an SD card is not recommended, but if you can get it to work then you can do it. The biggest problem with Origin and SD cards is the software that is on the SD cards (write protections). These may cause Origin not to detect the SD card as an option for the download and you would receive errors.

Let us know if you have any further questions!

View in thread

Message 3 of 28 (26,168 Views)

All Replies

Maybe this helps:
http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/127822/is-it-possible-to-install-games-to-different-hard-d...
But I doubt it will work from a SD card, but you can certainly try. 

----------------

Answers HQ Guardian

do not work for EA

Message 2 of 28 (23,585 Views)

EA Staff

@jaweshome Using an SD card is not recommended, but if you can get it to work then you can do it. The biggest problem with Origin and SD cards is the software that is on the SD cards (write protections). These may cause Origin not to detect the SD card as an option for the download and you would receive errors.

Let us know if you have any further questions!

Message 3 of 28 (26,169 Views)

★★★ Newbie

How can u get it to work ?

Message 4 of 28 (22,966 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I actually use TS4 as an application installed onto my SD card, and it works okay for me. The only problem I'm having is being able to put mods and CC into my game. I understand that there should be a mods folder, but there wasn't one, so I created it, but my mods and CC still don't show up. I even found a "resource.cfg" file from another folder and copied it there, but I'm not sure if that's how it's supposed to work...hehe

Message 5 of 28 (22,499 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I guess not, i tried allot of times and it says i only got 24 mb left. Even though i gpt a sd card with 59 gb it still isn't working.

Message 6 of 28 (22,367 Views)

★★★ Newbie
this does work I did it bc my computer didn't have enough memory to download the game so I got a sd card downloaded it. its works pretty good. I just cant figure out how to get mods on there.
Message 7 of 28 (21,190 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Mods go into Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 8 of 28 (21,175 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Penelope984  The game will download to your computer where you have Origin configured to download the game installers (default is where Origin is installed - c:\program files(x86)\Origin\Download Cache). This game is a large download. I would have to explain how a download works but a simple explanation is TS 4 requires at least 20 Gb for the installer to download and install. If you only have 24Mb of storage on the c: device - you don't have enough space to download the installer. The game user data is hard coded to be in the c:\users\(user name)\ documents folder. This can be relocated but it is an advanced operating system (Windows) technique. I do not recommend casual users of the NTFS file system to use advanced file system techniques.

Message 9 of 28 (21,166 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@roberta591

It is actually easy to move the Documents folder in Windows 7 and later as it is directly supported by the OS.

Open File Explorer and rightclick Documents, select Properties then the location tab. Click Move and type the new path.

NOTICE: Moving it to a removeable device is NOT supported.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 10 of 28 (21,160 Views)