[COLLECTION THREAD] Flickering Objects (NOT bb.moveobjects related)

by BryonyRae

Original Post

[COLLECTION THREAD] Flickering Objects (NOT bb.moveobjects related)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

I have observed some flickering objects in the game that have not been placed via bb.moveobjects.  I'm creating a list and will add to it if I (or others) find more instances of this.

1.  The Looker window, when placed in an adjoining corner, flickers.

2. Foundation flickers where it meets exposed (non-floating) stairs:

3.  Half Walls flicker when meeting wall at angled join:  

4. Exterior trim turns dark and flickers when placed on walls instead of rooms and adjacent to other trim.  Example on Gallery here.

5. Stairs interacting with exterior trim on a deck where a flat has *not* been placed can cause flickering:
Note that placing a flat over the deck area and re-applying the trim eliminates the effect.

6. Bowl More Alley by MaxisCreator_01 has flickering on one of its lanes (probably because the area was not drawn a s a room - if you redraw it as a room, the flickering is fixed):
Message 1 of 31 (5,539 Views)

Re: [COLLECTION THREAD] Flickering Objects (NOT bb.moveobjects related)

★★ Novice

That just looks like a graphical problem. What is your settings on?

Message 2 of 31 (5,327 Views)

Hero (Retired)

My settings are on ultra, @heidiiuwu.  However, this type of flickering is not related to graphics settings but rather to how objects are intersecting with each other in the game.

Message 3 of 31 (5,316 Views)

Hero (Retired)

I have two more issues with flickering objects to add today.

1.  Foundation flickers where it meets exposed (non-floating) stairs:

2.  Half Walls flicker when meeting wall at angled join: 

Message 4 of 31 (5,312 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I had problems with flickering trims since forever (no moo) – it seems to be fences related (all kinds)? I'm not sure if it's the same issue, but I'm attaching screenshots just in case.

Message 5 of 31 (5,283 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@lolatort I'm sorry - I somehow missed your post.  I haven't seen this effect in my game.  Is the house you've got images of available on the Gallery?  If so, could you post the link to it here (or its name/Origin ID)?  If not, could you possibly share it for testing purposes?  Thanks!

Message 6 of 31 (5,172 Views)

Hero (Retired)

I'm adding one today that's a combination of a couple of issues.  Under certain conditions, when a builder uses walls instead of enclosed rooms as part of the structure of a build and then applies exterior trim to those sections, the trim may turn dark and may also flicker as it joins to other trim.

This video was taken of a Gallery build where the issue was discovered, available here.  The workaround, as shown in the video, is to redraw the space as a room and reapply the trim.

Message 7 of 31 (5,169 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@BryonyRae No worries! It's one of my builds, so Origin ID is lolatort, and the name of the lot is Marine Blvd 3: https://www.thesims.com/gallery/23F2427DFE7211E58031F474EBF96E07?category=lots&searchtype=item_name&.... I see it often with other builds though (I play on a Mac – not sure if it makes a difference).

Message 8 of 31 (5,162 Views)

Hero (Retired)

I am removing [The Experienced Pillar, when placed against a window edge that extends beyond its surface, causes flickering.  There are multiple windows that can be combined with it to cause the effect - any with the same footprint as the Let There Be More Light window.] from our list, as it was fixed in the 10/25/16 patch.

Message 9 of 31 (5,102 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@lolatort I was able to download your build and take a look, and I definitely saw the flickering.  I think it has something to do with how you built your deck.  I don't know what your process is, but I usually place flats on a deck, if I want to add trim.  When I cover your deck with a flat and re-add trim, the flickering effect is removed.  However, I will add this one to the index, because you shouldn't be required to place a flat in order to prevent the flickering.

Message 10 of 31 (5,101 Views)