Re: problem with installing downloads in launcher

by mstormyrose7867

Original Post

problem with installing downloads in launcher

★★★ Apprentice

Okay, so...sometimes I have trouble installing/uninstalling downloads in my launcher.  Usually, I just get a "not responding" message.  So I clean out the cache files, etc., & then it works.  Well, now...that's not working.  And what is happening now is, I get the black box, then after maybe a minute, I get the "sims3 stopped working" message, & it closes it out.  This is both with installing & with uninstalling.  And the launcher is still up.  This just started today.  And I've already turned my computer off & back on, & cleared out cached files, etc. on my browser, on IE, & in my file folder.  I have Windows10, & I am updated to v.1.69.  Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 16 (637 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Also, I have already run Delphy's Dashboard.

Message 2 of 16 (634 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Okay, I tried all this again today, & I am still having the same problem..???...

Message 3 of 16 (599 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@mstormyrose7867 Is your computer a pc or mac?

Message 4 of 16 (580 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Hi, sorry took so long, but it's a pc.

Message 5 of 16 (563 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Close the launcher completely
Go to Documents \ Electronic Arts \ The Sims 3 \ Downloads
Create a folder inside Downloads folder (you can name it 'Already installed', for example). Move all the contents of the Downloads folder inside that new folder.
Open your launcher
Try to uninstall something again.

I tried the above, & now, not only is the launcher doing the same thing, but my game won't even play - it keeps closing out.  Does anybody have any more suggestions?

Message 6 of 16 (526 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Apprentice

I was already thinking I might have to delete all of my cc...now I am wondering if I am going to have to uninstall/reinstall my game?

Message 7 of 16 (519 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Also, if it helps...I have a few xcpt DESKTOP (MDMP) files, & in the text document files under them, under [Exception Info], the "type" says ACCESS_VIOLATION writing address....

Message 8 of 16 (514 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@mstormyrose7867  Do not uninstall the game. More then likely the game core files are not the problem. There is a return to factory method - link - Sims 3 return game to factory  BUT before you do even that try a registry cleaner like ccleaner (there is a free version). Clean the registry. ACCESS_VIOLATION is usually a DEP issue and for some reason some computer need the game added to the DEP table for the game to run. Try ccleaner then try adding the game to DEP, then try the factory reset.

Message 9 of 16 (491 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Thank you!  I will try this and let you know what happens.

Message 10 of 16 (489 Views)