Re: dcbackup folder

by EA_Mai

Original Post

dcbackup folder

★★★ Apprentice

How can I tell what is what in the dcbackup file?  It's all numbers....

Message 1 of 13 (1,150 Views)

EA app Team

Hi @mstormyrose7867,

It is not possible to know which file is which in this folder, because as you have notices the names are unreadable. Why do you want to know?

-Mai

Message 2 of 13 (1,142 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Well, I was trying to find a way to get rid of unwanted cc, other than the launcher, because for some reason, my launcher will not install or uninstall anything right now, which I am also trying to find a solution to.

Message 3 of 13 (1,138 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Also, there is a LOT of content in that  file....

Message 4 of 13 (1,129 Views)

EA app Team

Hi @mstormyrose7867,

Even if you remove files from the DCBackup folder, they wouldn't get uninstalled from the game. This is a backup folder of the content you installed from sims3packs, which the game uses when you export something from the game that contains CC or Store content.

To remove the installed CC from the game you would need to delete files from the folder DCCache. However, several items are stored in one file, so this is not a good idea either.

Let's focus on fixing your launcher: could you describe the issue? Are you getting an error message?

-Mai

Message 5 of 13 (1,126 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Sometimes I have trouble installing/uninstalling downloads in my launcher.  Usually, I just get a "not responding" message.  So I clean out the cache files, etc., & then it works.  Well, now...that's not working.  And what is happening now is, I get the black box, then after maybe a minute, I get the "sims3 stopped working" message, & it closes it out.  This is both with installing & with uninstalling.  And the launcher is still up.  This just started about a month ago.  And I've already turned my computer off & back on, & cleared out cached files, etc. on my browser, on IE, & in my file folder.  I have Windows10, & I am updated to v.1.69.  Also, I have run Delphy's Dashboard several times, & deleted all the "corrupt" files.  And my computer is a pc.

Oh, and thanks for explaining the other to me.  Standard smile

I have been working on cleaning out some saved sims and worlds....

Message 6 of 13 (1,118 Views)

EA app Team

@mstormyrose7867 How much CC do you have installed? Are you trying to install/uninstall several things at the same time?

One option would be uninstalling all your CC and then, instead of try to uninstall it, just install the CC you want to keep.

-Mai

Message 7 of 13 (1,106 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I'm not sure...but in my package files, there are a little over 2,000, worlds, 146, sims, over 700...my library has almost 500 files, & the dcbackup has over 15,000...I just know it's a lot....I was hoping not to have to do that, because it took so long the first time, but I may not have a choice...although I wouldn't know exactly what to delete....

Oh, & I've tried many, a few, & just one....

Message 8 of 13 (1,104 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

There's 4GB of content in the dccache.

Message 9 of 13 (1,095 Views)

EA app Team

@mstormyrose7867 Try this:

1. Close the launcher completely
  2. Go to Documents \ Electronic Arts \ The Sims 3 \ Downloads
  3. Create a folder inside Downloads folder (you can name it 'Already installed', for example). Move all the contents of the Downloads folder inside that new folder.
  4. Open your launcher
  5. Try to uninstall something again.

When you open the launcher, it loads all the contents in your Downloads folder to the Downloads tab. Maybe by avoiding the launcher from loading all this content, it will be able to work better. But with so much CC, if this does not help, I do think what you will need to do is make a clean installation of the CC you want.

In any case, all your Downloads are safe in the new 'Already installed' folder, so don't worry about losing them.

-Mai

Message 10 of 13 (1,089 Views)