Updated to 1.67 now my Sims 3 won't work, screen stays black

by jynxdjuni78

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Updated to 1.67 now my Sims 3 won't work, screen stays black

★★★ Newbie

My game worked fine until the latest update (1.67) after which now everytime I try to start the game the screen comes up like its going to load but stays black, then minimizes and doesn't want to come back up. I wind up having to use the task launcher to shut down the game because even when I try to close it while its minimized it won't close.

I have uninstalled & reiinstalled it along with all my expansions and still get the same thing. I did have some things downloaded from the exchange and didn't realize I was supposed to uninstall them before doing the upate until I began researching the problem. I do remember while unistalling I was given the option to keep my saved games & I did but now I can't find it anywhere on my computer.

I don;t care about losing the things I downloaded from the exchange or losing my saved games all I want is to be able to play especially since I just purchased 3 expansion packs during the sale this weekend. PLZ HELP!!! 

My games/ expansion packs include -

Sims 3 (base game)

Ambitions

Generations

Island Paradise

Pets

Seasons

High End Loft Stuff

Late Night

Showtime

Supernatural

Town Life Stuff

University

World Adventures

Midieval Special Edition

Midieval Pirates & Nobles

Message 1 of 7 (3,558 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Updated to 1.67 now my Sims 3 won't work, screen stays black

Hero

Try resttetting your user files as described in the factory reset described in this post: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/FAQ-Troubleshooting-Steps/td-p/714/

You won't loose anything. Just make sure to not delete any files  and make a backup.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

View in thread

Message 2 of 7 (3,658 Views)

All Replies

Hero

Try resttetting your user files as described in the factory reset described in this post: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/FAQ-Troubleshooting-Steps/td-p/714/

You won't loose anything. Just make sure to not delete any files  and make a backup.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 7 (3,659 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thank you, i finally got my sims game to work but now i have another problem with The Sims Medieval. I bought the bundle pack this past weekend that has both midieval and pirates & nobles. Every time I try to launch the Sims Medieval base game only the Pirates & Nobles launch, I get an error message saying "Unable to start. Please reinstall the The Sims Medieval base game."  and I've already done that PLEASE HELP ME

Message 3 of 7 (3,515 Views)

Hero

Please post in the Sims medieval forum for issues with that game.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 4 of 7 (3,494 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I know this was sorted ages ago but im having the same problem, sims 3 wont load once install the update, the only way i can sort it is to delete my saves game. id appreicate your time to explain how u sorted it. at the moment i am playing sims 3 without the update but u cant install island paradise or university. thanks need help 

@jynxdjuni78 wrote:

Thank you, i finally got my sims game to work but now i have another problem with The Sims Medieval. I bought the bundle pack this past weekend that has both midieval and pirates & nobles. Every time I try to launch the Sims Medieval base game only the Pirates & Nobles launch, I get an error message saying "Unable to start. Please reinstall the The Sims Medieval base game."  and I've already done that PLEASE HELP ME

Message 5 of 7 (1,436 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@crinrict wrote:

@debbie573

Message 6 of 7 (1,427 Views)

★★★ Newbie

SOLVED while STILL using fullscreen

The 1 to 0 in Options.ini is all well and good if you just want it in window mode. The real solution is as follows:

Find that Options.ini file (in Documents, Electronic Arts, The Sims 3), but don't alter the fullscreen from 1 to 0 unless you actually desire playing in windowed mode, which can be useful if checking email without leaving the game I suppose.

Find and change this one about halfway down: [resolution 1024 768 0] which is a useless aspect ratio and responsible for the problem.
I've changed mine to [resolution = 1920 1080 1] (though the 1 changed to a 0 after running the game for some reason, it might not matter at all whether it's 1 or 0) since my resolution is 1920x1080, but just input whatever your screen resolution is. Save. Restart. Enjoy.
I figured this out myself based on similar issue with Sid Meier's Pirates! and the constant fiddling with Options.ini files.

You could also run in once in windowed mode, change resolution in game, then change Options.ini to allow fullscreen again but it's just easier changing it all now you have the file open anyway.

Message 7 of 7 (994 Views)